This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Big one coming up Tuesday in Rocky Top. Tennessee is rolling in 7 and 0 with sweeps over App State & Maryland if memory serves correct.

Schedule is proving to be every bit as tough as advertised. UNC looks like a unanimous top 10. They swept a solid USF team in all close games this weekend. Maine and Hofstra do both appear to be weak as they are both winless. NC A&T looks pretty solid non conference wise.

Big surprise with conference teams is Stetson who is 1 and 5. NJIT is also somewhat of a surprise much like basketball. They have shot out to a nice early record against mediocore competition. FGCU Kennesaw State North Florida are all looking strong. If Jacksonville & Stetson right the ship and NJIT proves to be legit the ASUN will be as advertised.
By LUDad
jinxy wrote:Big one coming up Tuesday in Rocky Top. Tennessee is rolling in 7 and 0 with sweeps over App State & Maryland if memory serves correct.

Schedule is proving to be every bit as tough as advertised. UNC looks like a unanimous top 10. They swept a solid USF team in all close games this weekend. Maine and Hofstra do both appear to be weak as they are both winless. NC A&T looks pretty solid non conference wise.

Big surprise with conference teams is Stetson who is 1 and 5. NJIT is also somewhat of a surprise much like basketball. They have shot out to a nice early record against mediocore competition. FGCU Kennesaw State North Florida are all looking strong. If Jacksonville & Stetson right the ship and NJIT proves to be legit the ASUN will be as advertised.
Kinda get an idea of what Jackson thinks of his team when he was informed that Indiana actually giving Tennessee a game on Sunday. He stated something to the effect that he hoped Tennessee would win because he wanted LU to be the first team to beat them.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
jinxy wrote:Big one coming up Tuesday in Rocky Top. Tennessee is rolling in 7 and 0 with sweeps over App State & Maryland if memory serves correct.

Kinda get an idea of what Jackson thinks of his team when he was informed that Indiana actually giving Tennessee a game on Sunday. He stated something to the effect that he hoped Tennessee would win because he wanted LU to be the first team to beat them.
He also mentioned that Tennessee had recorded 5 shutouts in their first 7 games.
By Jonathan Carone
Tennessee is playing really good baseball right now. It’ll be tough to get out of Knoxville with a win but I think it’s possible.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
In midweek baseball, it would not be a surprise if Liberty gets a victory. There is no doubt this team can compete with the Vols. Tennessee has been mediocre for quite a few years, but there is definitely talent on every SEC baseball roster. Coach Vitello, the Volunteers new coach, was previously at Arkansas as the hitting coach. He outworks most coaches, can recruit and guys love to play for him. I think UT-Knoxville will be back in the NCAAs again soon with him.
By Jonathan Carone
The landslides are on I-40 near the state line. The team will be coming down I-81 so they should be fine. Downtown near campus was spared by most of the flooding too. In fact, Tennessee was playing a baseball game Saturday afternoon while all the flooding was going on because they play on turf and the field was able to drain.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I can report the baseball team is speeding safely on 81 heading to Knoxville
By jweaks
Oh man, looking good until the grandslam.
By Jonathan Carone
jweaks wrote:Oh man, looking good until the grandslam.
The entire mood of the stadium changed after that grand slam.

I’ll say this - Tennessee can throw the ball. Their pitching has been really good.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jweaks wrote:Oh man, looking good until the grandslam.
The entire mood of the stadium changed after that grand slam.

I’ll say this - Tennessee can throw the ball. Their pitching has been really good.
Must be nice to be able to toss a guy into a midweek game that is topping 97mph.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:Looks as if starting pitcher, stayed in, one batter too long.
No. He was throwing well. He just hung a changeup and the dude smashed it. That guy was batting in the .100s so far this year. It was a bad pitch at a really bad time.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
At least that is what your "source" told you. :oldhag
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
I’ll take Jon - the source at the game (and not named Falwell) - more seriously.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
On some baseball and softball related deals, with 40 years coaching experience, I do not need to check with #sources.

I have been known to call for intentional walk with bases loaded.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
“Coaching Experience “ :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
On some baseball and softball related deals, with 40 years coaching experience, I do not need to check with #sources.

I have been known to call for intentional walk with bases loaded.
The dude had four hits on the entire year before he hit that home run. He was the textbook definition of a slump. But we hung a pitch. Any SEC player is worth anything is going to crush a hanging changeup regardless of if it's the best pitcher in the country or a guy who's struggling. Your coaching experience may be the equivalent of Bobby Cox but if you weren't watching the game or looking at the situation, it doesn't matter.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]