This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Kevin mentioned at the start of the game that Nick had to return home for a family issue. Kevin really does a great job in whatever role is required and he's a first rate guy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Kevin mentioned at the start of the game that Nick had to return home for a family issue. Kevin really does a great job in whatever role is required and he's a first rate guy.
True story. One night the person who was supposed to sing the national anthem at a basketball game didn't show. Kevin picked up the mic and belted out a solid a capella baritone rendition. I was there.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Gave up a run with conservative base running.
Obviously, you have a better look as I am only listening to the radio broadcast, but Coach Jackson played it by the book if it was not a definite uncontested score. With nobody out, if there is any doubt, you hold the runner at 3rd base. Unfortunately, three batters in a row struck out.

USC 9, LU 7 - top of the 6th
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:
LUDad wrote:Gave up a run with conservative base running.
Obviously, you have a better look as I am only listening to the radio broadcast, but Coach Jackson played it by the book if it was not a definite uncontested score. With nobody out, if there is any doubt, you hold the runner at 3rd base. Unfortunately, three batters in a row struck out.

USC 9, LU 7 - top of the 6th
I understand the though process and its easy to speak after the fact but the fielder came up hitting the cutoff man.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Kevin mentioned at the start of the game that Nick had to return home for a family issue. Kevin really does a great job in whatever role is required and he's a first rate guy.
I have heard Kevin do a couple games over the years, as play by play guy. He is good, better than some I have heard in other places, who do it full time.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:
True story. One night the person who was supposed to sing the national anthem at a basketball game didn't show. Kevin picked up the mic and belted out a solid a capella baritone rendition. I was there.
Kevin Keys is one of my favorite people on this planet. He’s the best boss I’ve ever had and is ridiculously good at everything he does.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Kevin Keys is one of my favorite people on this planet. He’s the best boss I’ve ever had and is ridiculously good at everything he does.
He’s a good egg. His kid is kinda sketchy though 8)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Anyone know why Kevin Keys is doing PxP? He's not Nick, but he's not bad. That guy is the Swiss Army Knife of Liberty's athletic department.
Yeah, he’s all right.
By LUDad
Had a odd ruling yesterday. Highfill fielded a grounder and flipped the ball directly to Wagner from his glove (nice play) since he was close to 2nd and was trying for double play. Didn't turn it but got out at 2nd. SC appealed the play and after looking at video umpires reversed the call and runner troted back to 2nd. Then the unpires reversed their call again and called him out. The throw beat the runner so I think the issse was did Wagner touch 2nd. I'm thinking they reversed themselves even though the video showed Wagner didn't touch 2nd. Is this because of what I call the zip code rule...i.e. as long as the pivot guy is close to the bag its an out when turning a double play? If so, why make the call as an out and then reverse it?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
That's a great question. Kevin Keys did not have the answer for that yesterday on the radio and was going to check on it last night. I'll probably be watching the SEC video broadcast today, but if someone listens to the radio feed, please provide some feedback.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Skirrows stuff is dynamite especially with the temperatures. Any word on rorher and locklears injuries? Biggest early weakness i see is our outfield. I think guy will prob do his job by playing d running stealing bags and hitting 260 or so. Need more from rohrer mydre karraker heid etc.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
LU up 2-0 after 3 innings.

Looking at those in the stands, I’m reminded why I only go to February games in Arizona or Florida.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We are very very weak at the corner outfield spots. These guys take bad routes in the outfield and cant hit. We need rohrer back very badly. We knew he can play D and bat 250 at least.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Skirrows stuff is dynamite especially with the temperatures. Any word on rorher and locklears injuries? Biggest early weakness i see is our outfield. I think guy will prob do his job by playing d running stealing bags and hitting 260 or so. Need more from rohrer mydre karraker heid etc.
Seeing some of that now. It does appear our weakness is definitely the outfield. Bad angles etc. but still way early. Could change come mid March etc.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed but weve seen all these guys for a couple years now. Not sure what else we have behind the plate but we may need to look at getting embry back out in the outfield. I think guy embry and rohrer would play solid d and hit for decent average.

I dont fault players for not hitting first weekend (esp against goot comp) but bad defense and not hitting With poor at bats is not acceptable. Thats what weve seen.

That is obviously based on the fact that we have to have a solid backup option back there besides embry.

Wagner and mathieu both have improved their approaches big time since last year.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Karraker 8 ABs - 6Ks and 2 comebackers to P. Highfill good D no Offense. McDyre no bat but good infielder playing out of position in the OF. I agree. I'd rather have a defensive/no bat C and put Embry in OF and get Rohrer healthy.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Had a odd ruling yesterday. Highfill fielded a grounder and flipped the ball directly to Wagner from his glove (nice play) since he was close to 2nd and was trying for double play. Didn't turn it but got out at 2nd. SC appealed the play and after looking at video umpires reversed the call and runner troted back to 2nd. Then the unpires reversed their call again and called him out. The throw beat the runner so I think the issse was did Wagner touch 2nd. I'm thinking they reversed themselves even though the video showed Wagner didn't touch 2nd. Is this because of what I call the zip code rule...i.e. as long as the pivot guy is close to the bag its an out when turning a double play? If so, why make the call as an out and then reverse it?
Ahh the neighborhood rule...
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Gamecocks take the series

Game 1 - LU 6, USC 5 (11)
Game 2 - USC 13, LU 7
Game 3 - USC 3, LU 2
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Brutal 9th inning. Skirrow and price deserved better. We need rohrer and locklear to come back and hit and find another stick somewhere.
By Jonathan Carone
We leave a series with an SEC school disappointed in only winning one game with our starting shortstop and right fielder injured. I’ll take that.

We have room to improve and things to work on, but if we can get healthy and continue to get better, I think we’ve got a chance to have a really good season.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: I'd rather have a defensive/no bat C and put Embry in OF and get Rohrer healthy.
Embry is a leader and a plus catcher. You only move him to the OF if he needs a break behind the plate or someone is a better catcher. You don't move someone from the middle to strengthen the defense on the corners.

We'll be fine in the outfield.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]