This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:We leave a series with an SEC school disappointed in only winning one game with our starting shortstop and right fielder injured. I’ll take that.

We have room to improve and things to work on, but if we can get healthy and continue to get better, I think we’ve got a chance to have a really good season.
+1
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Roll your eyes all you want. You make the move that makes your team the best. If playing embry in outfield makes the team better you do it. I dont know if it does or not yet but i dont see karraker heid and mcdyre giving anything close to what we need.

As far as being SEC. who cares. They are unranked for a reason which is because they lost a ton. I think they will be good later in the season just like last year but were beatable this weekend. Point is we had a great chance to get 2 of 3. We got 1.
Last edited by jinxy on February 17th, 2019, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Moving your team leader that is the catcher to the outfield does not make the team better.

What move would you make?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You must have never played. Guys like embry are versatile. The point is so easy to see. If there is another catcher on the roster of young guy that has potential behind the plate you make the move. Embry will produce in either spot. If you lose too much then you dont. Further, thats part of his leadership value to be able to move around.

Jackson even played him there last year a good bit...but you just cant do that to to hear a couple of you. That will wreck the season hah.

Need more bats. Locklear would help some. Hopefully rorher too but he hit like 240 last year.

Jackson will look at it. Theyve done a great job rebuilding the staff this year and im sure he will look at all combos.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
It is a pretty easy argument to make, that the catcher is the most important player on the field. Just saying, I don't really have a dog in the fight.
By Jonathan Carone
No matter what needs to happen, I trust Scott Jackson to do it more than any other coach we’ve had since I’ve been following Liberty.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Roll your eyes all you want. You make the move that makes your team the best. If playing embry in outfield makes the team better you do it. I dont know if it does or not yet but i dont see karraker heid and mcdyre giving anything close to what we need.

As far as being SEC. who cares. They are unranked for a reason which is because they lost a ton. I think they will be good later in the season just like last year but were beatable this weekend. Point is we had a great chance to get 2 of 3. We got 1.
I was rolling my eyes at your one word response which was a ridiculous way to argue your point.
By CCWMichael
flameshaw wrote:It is a pretty easy argument to make, that the catcher is the most important player on the field. Just saying, I don't really have a dog in the fight.
Catching is much more complicated than those outside of baseball think. Managing pitchers and understanding what they have and when they do not have it. Understanding the upcoming batters strength and weaknesses in order to call the proper pitches. Just stopping that darned passed ball. The ability to hold runners. Shortstops have a history of garnering a ton of attention but it is and should be the catcher that is dictating the game. Plug and play with the catcher is not an easy transition. Yeah, there might be a secondary catcher that works well with a particular pitcher that may dictate a change for that position.
I do not have a horse in this either as I am not near familiar enough with this team but I would leave the catcher alone as a standard protocol. Kinda of like the question I saw some where else about batting order. Keep your to OBP and AVG as your best indicators. The coach can decide which he likes to follow best but Iaside from utilizing the combination I would defer to OBP. As far as all other metrics I am a WAR guy but even the it is not the all encompassing picture of what a player brings to the table.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:Moving your team leader that is the catcher to the outfield does not make the team better.

What move would you make?
Emory looked good behind the plate this weekend. I believe he threw out the only guy attempting to steal this weekend in the first game which might have been a factor why SC was so conservative on steals the rest of the way. Conversely, LU had a number of successful steals. Having said that, we do need better defense and more help at the plate from the outfield.

Pitching staff thus far, except for a couple hicups, looks impressive. I think a couple guys simply need to calm down and not overthrow/guide the ball.

I was also wondering why Baughman was in the DH spot after 1 1/2 games. He was hitless and had struck out in half of his at bats. Then be started coming around and now I'm beginning to see what he's capable of. With the cold being a huge factor this weekend, I think I'm going to chill and see how things unfold the next couple weeks.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
To me there is a clear difference between expectations from a true frosh like guy and baughman and jucos in their senior year that didnt produce last year either.

Agreed on pitching. Night and day. If meyer and erickson get settled this can be the deepest staff weve had in a while.

Catching wise embry looks good. The point is if there is another comparable option you have the flexibility with him to improve another weak area. No idea who our backup is or if they are viable. Weve seen catchers moved around over the last decade. Its not like weve had pudge rodriguez back there. I can think of at least 3 who have been moved to spots that hitting was struggling when we had other good catchers on roster.

I just think we have a shot to be a real good team this year but corner OF defense and hitting from the outfield as a whole could sink us. So thats why i threw the option out there. If i know jackson he is about what will make the team better and im sure they are discussing all the options.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is their […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]