This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

2018 Draft Big Board from Keith Law.

87. D.J. Artis, OF, Liberty. Artis definitely has the best rap name of any player in the draft, and he's a plus-plus runner who can play a good center field. He's a smaller guy but shows good hand strength and would likely benefit from getting away from Liberty's hitting approach so he can drive the ball more. He's on the border between everyday center fielder and good fourth outfielder.

Have we ever had someone higher in stuff like this?
prototype wrote:2018 Draft Big Board from Keith Law.

87. D.J. Artis, OF, Liberty. Artis definitely has the best rap name of any player in the draft, and he's a plus-plus runner who can play a good center field. He's a smaller guy but shows good hand strength and would likely benefit from getting away from Liberty's hitting approach so he can drive the ball more. He's on the border between everyday center fielder and good fourth outfielder.

1981 - Sid Bream drafted in the second round and Lee Guetterman in the 4th.
1982 - Renard Brown drafted in the 3rd round.
A couple more fourth rounders over the years. So DJ, projected 3rd rounder, is the highest we will have had in a long time but not unprecedented.
Full List of Draftees
flamehunter wrote:
prototype wrote:2018 Draft Big Board from Keith Law.

1981 - Sid Bream drafted in the second round and Lee Guetterman in the 4th.
1982 - Renard Brown drafted in the 3rd round.
A couple more fourth rounders over the years. So DJ, projected 3rd rounder, is the highest we will have had in a long time but not unprecedented.
Full List of Draftees
Yeah - I knew that, but I'm saying on scouting boards. Not sure if they were even around back then;)
The local paper said the "slot value" for his pick in the draft should be worth $192,500.
flameshaw wrote:Dropped from a 2nd-3rd rounder before the season began to a 7th rounder. :shock:
Yeah , but he was drafted in the 40th round coming out of High School. This means he made the right decision to attend Liberty. That's what I would be pushing.
ballcoach15 wrote:Why did he not hit as well this season as in past 2 ?
Too many moving parts this year with his hands and bat in the box - didn't see this in the last two years. It became more obvious as the season went on.
The top 3 rounds was probably too high for DJ. He showed more power this year overrall but at the expense of average and strikeouts. That would be fine for anywhere but leadoff. He reminds me of a juan pierre with more pop. His arm and stature dont help draft profiles.

Degroat will be interesting. That will all come down to what they offer. Degroat when right i could easily see being a top 3 round guy so he could very well be leaving money on the table if he signs. Cleveland is a mid level franchise looking to buy low on injury and hope he signs out of fear that he wont recover more than likely. Weve seen more of that in recent years.

Im hearing todd is dropping because scouts dont feel he can catch at next level. His stats in lf dont play as much as they do at catcher. I would bet he still gets drafted but if its aftee 15th round or so he would be wise to consider coming back.
round 35 and Erickson is still on the board. I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing him on campus. DeGroat for sure will be leaving money on the table if he signs. Can be a day 2 pick if he returns but if he does sign, Erickson will contend for a weekend spot. I think we can expect Todd to return as well, no?

I wonder if we had any JuCo commits that got drafted.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jack’s situation is interesting. If he signs, he leaves the possibility of money on the table but he also assures himself he doesn’t fall more next year and lose any leverage he has this year.
The money in that slot is not going to provide long time financial security, but it´s still a pretty good chunk of change. I would think a lot will depend on how good he feels about his arm, and whether he is confident he could have a good year and raise his stock.
I didnt see any of our commits get drafted but i only know of 5 or 6 on twitter. Soo tight on recruiting here. Its frustrating.

Jacks decision will be tough. I cant see cleveland paying above slot there. He could technically have 2 years left with a redshirt of he was just terrible next year. I personally think even if he had a herndon or bertsch post tj surgery season he will still get taken in a similar spot as long as the velo is still there. Theres a lot more to gain than lose for him. Could be wrong tho. If a scout loves him.

If im Todd i only come back if i can catch more. If he coould improve defensively and catch at the next level hes a 5 to 7 type round guy.
flamehunter wrote:Talk about dropping in the draft - Zack Hess (LCA and LSU) was rated as the #91 prospect on MLB.com and ended up not getting picked until the 34th round by the Braves.
He hasn't dropped at all. People just aren't going to waste a high round pick when they don't think the guy is going to come out. Next year he'll go a lot higher.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Talk about dropping in the draft - Zack Hess (LCA and LSU) was rated as the #91 prospect on MLB.com and ended up not getting picked until the 34th round by the Braves.
He hasn't dropped at all. People just aren't going to waste a high round pick when they don't think the guy is going to come out. Next year he'll go a lot higher.
Semantics aside I'm fully aware of why he wasn't picked higher - AKA dropped, fell, etc. (see above post).
If he would’ve committed to sign, you would’ve seen him go in the first or second. But his asking price was at slot, and teams wanted him to sign below slot value. For example, the Braves picked a HS pitcher with their first round pick. Hess was high on their board but priced himself out of that slot because his bonus ask was too high. And it’s no wonder it was, because he has the leverage of two college years remaining.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]