This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
High Point wins 4-1. They rolled 2 pitchers out there who were somewhere between low end mediocre and high end awful all year, and they gave up 1 run in 9 innings. Now they can rest tonight while we play Campbell again, and the winner of that game will have to beat them twice tomorrow. To win this championship, Liberty will need to win 4 games in 2 days and 6 total. HP can become champions with just 4 wins total.
By tyndal23
Big South official tourney board says Championship game is Winner Take All - doesn't show more than one ( if necessary game )
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Big South official tourney board says Championship game is Winner Take All - doesn't show more than one ( if necessary game )
That actually makes sense, although it wouldn't be totally fair IMHO for HP to be knocked out with only 1 loss. I'm not a big fan of this format. It puts a ridiculously high premium on pitching depth which is not reflective of what is needed for success in the regular season, regionals or super regionals. I guess the CWS is pretty similar.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Freshman Zack Brockman is starting tonight's 7 inning elimination game. Hasn't pitched in a week. Tossed 3 shutout innings of relief in his last outing against Winthrop.
By LUDad
Brockman looked impressive until the HR. He now leads team in HR's given up (9). Hope he can settle back in.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Great run. Not sure locklear should be swinging so aggressively there with that guy struggling to throw strikes so much. I really thought he would walk cam for sure with his ability to foul off pitches.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Great run. Not sure locklear should be swinging so aggressively there with that guy struggling to throw strikes so much. I really thought he would walk cam for sure with his ability to foul off pitches.
I agree but every kid who ever played ball lives for that moment. He put a good lick on it, just not quite enough.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The 3 run homer was difference in ball game.
And the pitch BEFORE the dinger, ballcoach said we should have walked the batter with 14 homers.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
He had 17 home runs and I believe 62 RBI and hitting well over .300 I believe

2 outs, first base open, no way you give that guy anything to hit.
By Jonathan Carone
If you would’ve told me we’d lose 2/3 of our weekend rotations and finish third in the league I would’ve taken it.

If you told me we’d then lose our best hitter in the first game of the tournament and end up a few feet away from being in the championship game, I would’ve gladly taken it as well.

Let’s get healthy and next year should be fun.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you would’ve told me we’d lose 2/3 of our weekend rotations and finish third in the league I would’ve taken it.

If you told me we’d then lose our best hitter in the first game of the tournament and end up a few feet away from being in the championship game, I would’ve gladly taken it as well.

Agree, I had similar thoughts.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
All in all it was an ok season. I think we probably should have been in the 35 win range even with all the injuries (considering the schedule) but its not a huge difference. Degroat was worth probably 5 to 7 wins over whoever replaced him. Im much less inclined to count much toward mcinvale and braband just because they werent proven. Either way jackson showed something in the tournament there especially without todd. Now we need to see if he can recruit.

As for next year. I think its way too early say we will have a great year. Now if degroat mcinvale and braband all return to health and contribute, if todd happens to not go high and come back, if david erickson makes it to campus then i could see a good year. Thats a lot of ifs though. There was never a release on all the signees for this year and the only one ive seen who could be a definite difference maker is erickson.

For next year to be good we need health, 2 or 3 lefty pitchers, and several newcomers to step up in the lineup. Galazin locklear matthieu are the only guys that really put up average or slightly above average offensive figures this year in one way or another. None of them were complete threats. If todd comes back that changes everything. I cant imagine somebody wont take him fairly high being a lefty bat with power and i think he lead the nation in walks and could catch though hes likely not a catcher at next level.

Skirrow could be an ace. Stamper and hand could be good pieces as well but need development. Brockman was hard to figure. I wasnt enamored with his stuff the couple times i saw him live but the staff seems to like him. Price should be back as the closer i would imagine. Jackson wont let guys coming off TJ be relievers so you know degroat mcinvale and skirrow are penciled into 3 spots. I would guess erickson and stamper would vie for the 4th spot if erickson makes it here. Erickson was hitting low 90s earlier in the season and had all kinds of big boys after him.

Gut says DJ, todd, and erickson are all signing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Are you sure Brabrand is returning? Seems to me he was already in his 5th year, in which case it wouldn't matter that he would otherwise qualify for a medical redshirt.

There has been a really tight lid on recruiting news under Jackson, but it does seem that results have been underwhelming thus far. I would think baseball will be one of the sports that benefits most from the ASUN move in terms of recruiting. Boatloads of talent in Florida that would have a bunch of games close to home every year.

Artis is gone for sure. On top of the baseball reasons, he has graduated. Todd's late season decline and then this injury could actually work in our favor as far as the chances of his returning.

jinxy, if you were expecting anything in the area of 35 wins, you and ballcoach's "source" were the only 2. The consensus on the board was more like 25. All things considered, taking into account the nice run in the tourney, they "done good".
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you would’ve told me we’d lose 2/3 of our weekend rotations and finish third in the league I would’ve taken it.

. . . . .and Artis hitting 70 points below career average and .200 with runners in scoring position, McDyre 80 points below last year's average . . and the list goes on.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I originally said my over under was 25 so you might want to check that memory bank. However the schedule ended up being very very weak outside of the unc series and st johns series. Dont take my word go look at the rpi sos record vs top 50 top 100 etc. we played very few top 100 games. Lots of teams like uva wake vt and the conference were all down rpi wise.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]