This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the boys have mailed it in. 12 to 0 after 6. Even price is getting hammered now. Worst pitching staff ive ever seen at LU in the 14 years ive followed. Degroat and mcinvale could only help so much even if they were healthy.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Once again theres a difference between losing and getting embarassed. Thats the 3rd embarassment in the last couple weeks. Around here you can only be a kool aid drinker or a hatee. Apparently there is not a middle ground to simply state what is happening at the moment.

At another glance. We played st johns several years in a row when they were really good and led by the hansen brothers. If i recall we swept them once and won 2 of 3 and lost 2 of 3 once. Crazy to see how the programs have flip flopped since then. We built a new stadium and have gotten worse and they were calling for blankemeyers head and theyve improved significantly. They are typically the best program in the NE for whatever that is worth.
By Jonathan Carone
I wasn’t saying yesterday was good. It was worse than expected but not surprising.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
We’re supposed to be winning the National Championship already with a second year coach?

Then again, I don’t sit around and whine after every game.
By Jonathan Carone
When was St Johns wanting to get rid of Blankmeyer? They went to a super regional and he won Big East Coach of the Year for the fifth time the year we won 3-of-4 against them.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It was one of the last trips they made to the burg. They brought quite a few fans with them and that particular crew i was sitting around was pushing for a change back then. It could be disgruntled parents who knows. It was Kyle Hansens senior year if memory serves correct. They were supposed to be a top 10 team and started out really really slow and finished .500 I believe. Rogers wrote a column that was pretty harsh on the program right around that same time I believe. This was like a group of 15 or so guys i was sitting near and struck up a conversation with. Solid program. I was just hoping we would show better. Today was a positive sign for Skirrow. Really like his upside. He was hitting 94 with ease and a wipe out offspeed pitch against VT the other night. Needs to refine a 3rd pitch and he can be an ace.

jbock...typical worthless post. I've said a bazillion times i'm not calling for Jackson's head and he was one of my top choices. Yes, clearly by expecting us to be an RPI top 100 program even in bad years and to be in contention for regional that means i expect a CWS :roll: Boy would guys like you have a real rude awakening if you ever actually worked in athletics or knew folks that were.
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote:Yes, clearly by expecting us to be an RPI top 100 program even in bad years and to be in contention for regional that means i expect a CWS
Those are legitimate expectations of the program, but not for this year or even next. We were in a big rebuild mode when Jackson took over. We finished seventh the year before he got here and were fourth the year before. The cupboard had some pieces but they were all the same piece. We didn’t have a full team or pitching staff. Add all that to our top three pitchers going down and this year was never going to be great. Being good would’ve been a stretch.

We’ve gotten much better in the field and at the plate. If we can get some more arms in, develop what’s here, and get our guys healthy, we will be on track for what you’re expecting. It’ll just take time.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
jinxy wrote:Yes, clearly by expecting us to be an RPI top 100 program even in bad years and to be in contention for regional that means i expect a CWS
Those are legitimate expectations of the program, but not for this year or even next. We were in a big rebuild mode when Jackson took over. We finished seventh the year before he got here and were fourth the year before. The cupboard had some pieces but they were all the same piece. We didn’t have a full team or pitching staff. Add all that to our top three pitchers going down and this year was never going to be great. Being good would’ve been a stretch.

We’ve gotten much better in the field and at the plate. If we can get some more arms in, develop what’s here, and get our guys healthy, we will be on track for what you’re expecting. It’ll just take time.
There is no room for reason and rational thought here. Who authorized you to think like a sane individual with a concept of time and reality?
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote:It was one of the last trips they made to the burg. They brought quite a few fans with them and that particular crew i was sitting around was pushing for a change back then. It could be disgruntled parents who knows. It was Kyle Hansens senior year if memory serves correct. They were supposed to be a top 10 team and started out really really slow and finished .500 I believe. Rogers wrote a column that was pretty harsh on the program right around that same time I believe. This was like a group of 15 or so guys i was sitting near and struck up a conversation with.
Also - let’s just clear this piece up a bit.

In 2012, we won 3-of-4 vs SJU. They went 40-21, made the super regionals and got beat by Arizona who won the entire CWS that year. They also had four players drafted in the top six rounds that year. And Blankmeyer won his fifth Big East Coach is the Year that year. This was Hanson’s last year.

In 2017, we won 2-of-3 vs them. They went 42-13 and lost in the regionals. This was coming off a .500 year.

You’re mixing up two different series. Regardless of the year, what you heard was simply frustrated parents.

St. John’s is a great baseball program. We got swept - which was expected - but we were in two of the three games. I would’ve loved to have won a game or two but it didn’t happen. You play this series with a healthy pitching staff and it very likely could’ve gone much differently.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With some luck, we could have won 2 of 3 vs St Johns.

We are a better team than our record.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, it looks like you have won the gentleman's bet with TF regarding which team would have the better record--softball or baseball.

What does he OWE you? Maybe dinner out at the Campbell Ave. Burger King? 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe that's only time he's been wrong this season on baseball or softball, but I will continue to "coach him up" on softball.

If baseball pitching staff had stayed healthy, baseball would have had better W-L record.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:We are a better team than our record.
Ehh. Partially.

We are position player wise better than our record. That has kept us in a lot of games. They put up solid runs on Saturday against a really good arm, hit Campbell's ace well, etc.

On the flip side, we have done really well to not have any of our weekend arms and still be where we are record wise. Our weekend starters are likely weekday starters and bullpen weekend guys if this team was healthy.

So yes, in areas we are better than our record, but in others we actually aren’t as good as our record indicates.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So i know youre referencing degroat and mcinvale. Who is the third? Obviously degroat would have made a big difference. If were talkin mcinvale and braband theres hardly a guarantee that those 2 are solid. Especially braband.

As far as the seasons for sju. Im wel aware. A good friend of mine played there that i play ball with. There was a 2 year span they were frustrated and had a bad start early when they had high expectations and kendall even wrote a column on it. Im sure your right about the parents and i acknowledged that. However the point is that expectations are a good thing. I think weve slightly underperformed this year. Really todd and skirrow are the only 2 jackson recruits that have contributed. Todd was a stud but he and dj will likely be gone so it will probavly flip next year. Hitting and pitching.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]