This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We lead 3-0 after 2. Matthieu with a 2 run dinger. Somebody must be listening. Yacyk is in LF. 8)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
11-1 after 5. Price has thrown 95 pitches, so more than likely he will throw one more inning (if that). With a big lead, we should be able to save Bertsch for the next 2 games and give someone else a chance to get straightened out in a low pressure situation.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:We lead 3-0 after 2. Matthieu with a 2 run dinger. Somebody must be listening. Yacyk is in LF. 8)
If Yacyk gets another opportunity he has to understand that he cannot leave that bat on his shoulder. He needs to take his hacks and pound the ball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
olldflame wrote:We lead 3-0 after 2. Matthieu with a 2 run dinger. Somebody must be listening. Yacyk is in LF. 8)
If Yacyk gets another opportunity he has to understand that he cannot leave that bat on his shoulder. He needs to take his hacks and pound the ball.
Struck out looking twice with the bases loaded...... ouch. :oops: :oops:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Bats are alive and well tonight. Hopefully we can sweep since we didnt really try to win against uva with the way we handled the pitching and the spots we used them. We were obviously trying not to tax anyone. Yacyk appears to me to be a timing issue. For that type hitter with longer swing and multiple moving parts the timing only improves with ab’s. Then you start tinkering and adapting and create more problems than you started with most of the time. Howver as ludad said he has to be more aggressive in those spots. The 2 games i saw him this year he seemed to be trying to shorten his swing too much while ultimately jamming himself ala tyler breams jr year. Saw lots of very similar swings that year. The third outfield spot hase been a black hole all year in terms of productivity. If yacyk doesnt produce it might make sense to go with todd artis and embry l to r and try allen behind the plate. Again, just trying to find another way to lengthen the lineup.

It will be interesting to see who starts game 3. The way he used guys the other night it could be hand stamper or vinny. Ive seen enough of stamper until he can improve command. Great future but just needs development.
By LUDad
jinxy wrote:Bats are alive and well tonight. Hopefully we can sweep since we didnt really try to win against uva with the way we handled the pitching and the spots we used them. We were obviously trying not to tax anyone. Yacyk appears to me to be a timing issue. For that type hitter with longer swing and multiple moving parts the timing only improves with ab’s. Then you start tinkering and adapting and create more problems than you started with most of the time. Howver as ludad said he has to be more aggressive in those spots. The 2 games i saw him this year he seemed to be trying to shorten his swing too much while ultimately jamming himself ala tyler breams jr year. Saw lots of very similar swings that year. The third outfield spot hase been a black hole all year in terms of productivity. If yacyk doesnt produce it might make sense to go with todd artis and embry l to r and try allen behind the plate. Again, just trying to find another way to lengthen the lineup.

It will be interesting to see who starts game 3. The way he used guys the other night it could be hand stamper or vinny. Ive seen enough of stamper until he can improve command. Great future but just needs development.
Yacak has gotten more walks per at bat than he ever has so he's trying to work the program. But I think that may have gotten him too tentitive. If he's in the lineup, he is in there for his bat. He needs to swing it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
jinxy wrote:Bats are alive and well tonight. Hopefully we can sweep since we didnt really try to win against uva with the way we handled the pitching and the spots we used them. We were obviously trying not to tax anyone. Yacyk appears to me to be a timing issue. For that type hitter with longer swing and multiple moving parts the timing only improves with ab’s. Then you start tinkering and adapting and create more problems than you started with most of the time. Howver as ludad said he has to be more aggressive in those spots. The 2 games i saw him this year he seemed to be trying to shorten his swing too much while ultimately jamming himself ala tyler breams jr year. Saw lots of very similar swings that year. The third outfield spot hase been a black hole all year in terms of productivity. If yacyk doesnt produce it might make sense to go with todd artis and embry l to r and try allen behind the plate. Again, just trying to find another way to lengthen the lineup.

Yacak has gotten more walks per at bat than he ever has so he's trying to work the program. But I think that may have gotten him too tentitive. If he's in the lineup, he is in there for his bat. He needs to swing it.
I was thinking the same thing about Andrew changing his approach to go with the hitting philosophy Jackson has preached (which BTW, I think is Great) but with 2 strikes, you just can't be as selective, especially with the bases loaded. Anything close to the plate, and you have to take it out of the umpires hands.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There is no excuse for striking out looking. Be aggressive, swing the bat.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There is no excuse for striking out looking. Be aggressive, swing the bat.
With less than 2 strikes, swing at STRIKES.
With 2 strikes, swing at anything that MIGHT be a strike.
Do NOT swing at BALLS with less than 2 strikes.

This is Jackson's hitting philosophy, and it is so refreshing to HAVE one that actually means something and the players can buy into instead of Toman's "be aggressive". We lead the nation in walks, where we once were annually among the leaders in striking out, and we are scoring more runs than we have in a long time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We are now tied with HP for second in the BSC. Campbell won again. They are 1-2 against LU and 12-1 against the rest of the conference. They are playing Longwood, so we can't expect much help this weekend, but they have HP and WU coming up.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:At least there is Lexington BBQ for supper.
What place do you recommend?
By LUDad
Cider Jim wrote:
LUDad wrote:At least there is Lexington BBQ for supper.
What place do you recommend?
LUMom & I ate at Lexington BBQ (that is the name of the restaurant) on the way home from the game. Eat there anytime that I am in the area. Eat BBQ at Bridges BBQ on way to GW.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks, LUDad! For our GW trip, we always eat at Sonny's in Charlotte.
By LUDad
Cider Jim wrote:Thanks, LUDad! For our GW trip, we always eat at Sonny's in Charlotte.
If you ever want to eat with my wife and I before a game just give me a shout. I live near Charlotte.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you wouldn't mind eating with the LU Quiz Bowl team, we'd love that. Study
By LUDad
Cider Jim wrote:If you wouldn't mind eating with the LU Quiz Bowl team, we'd love that. Study
That works for me. I imagine the Quiz Bowl team is the only team better than the golf team this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We're undefeated Big South Champions this year. And even beat Princeton! :shock:
By LUDad
Don't know if it was part of the strategy or not but I think it was good to go with Clinton/Bertsch for today's game. It's hard to maintain the high of an 18 run game the following day. Too easy to have a letdown. If Skirrow were to have a great game on Sat great. If not, you have Bertsch available for the series win on Sunday.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
As i mentioned earlier at large is not out question. Were up to 92 in the rpi. Uva has moved up to 75 so that loss didnt hurt. Wake is sitting at 90. St johns is sitting around 45 and 2 with duke in the top 25. We def would need to do damage against duke and sju as were currently 0 and 3 against group 1 opponents (unc) and 1 and 1 against group 2.

Either way were playing our way onto the 3 line instead of the 4 line even if we get in as tourney champ.

We really need to sweep longwood badly for a variety of reasons. 3 home wins against them wont budge the rpi but the road wake game would.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:As i mentioned earlier at large is not out question. Were up to 92 in the rpi. Uva has moved up to 75 so that loss didnt hurt. Wake is sitting at 90. St johns is sitting around 45 and 2 with duke in the top 25. We def would need to do damage against duke and sju as were currently 0 and 3 against group 1 opponents (unc) and 1 and 1 against group 2.

Either way were playing our way onto the 3 line instead of the 4 line even if we get in as tourney champ.

We really need to sweep longwood badly for a variety of reasons. 3 home wins against them wont budge the rpi but the road wake game would.
<1% chance of getting in, as an at large. The only way we get in, is to win the tournament. I don't see us having enough pitching to do that.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I agree just saying the path is shockingly still there albeit a slim one. More important to keep winning so that if we are fortunate enough to win the tourney we stay off the 4 line.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]