This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, Stout has an awful 1+ innings and we are down 5-0. In comes Mason Hand and shuts the door for 8 innings and we come back to win 6-5. :pbjtime :pbjtime

Gotta believe Mason is going to get a shot at a weekend start. Maybe Sunday?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
He will need recovery time after throwing 100 pitches. I would give him the mid week role. 2 games with duke 1 with vt 1 with wake and 1 with uva left. If he can use all 3 pitches like today this can be repeated. I wouls still start tarantola over stamper. He has regressed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:He will need recovery time after throwing 100 pitches. I would give him the mid week role. 2 games with duke 1 with vt 1 with wake and 1 with uva left. If he can use all 3 pitches like today this can be repeated. I wouls still start tarantola over stamper. He has regressed.
Sunday is 5 days away, but different pitchers need different. amounts of rest. This was by far the most pitches he has thrown in college. Don't know about HS.
By LUDad
I would like to see how we would do with Yacyk and Mathieu in same lineup. Mathieu at 1st, Yacyk DH, (or vice versa) & Allen at 2nd. We need Yacyk's bat popping if we are going to make any waves at tournment time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:I would like to see how we would do with Yacyk and Mathieu in same lineup. Mathieu at 1st, Yacyk DH, (or vice versa) & Allen at 2nd. We need Yacyk's bat popping if we are going to make any waves at tournment time.
I hear you on the lineup, but Dylan Allen has been as close as you get to perfect at first base. One error in 253 chances and a bunch of great scoops/stretches to save errors by infielders. I really don't know about Mathieu, but Yacyk is a mediocre defensive first baseman. I'm thinking we give up too much defense with that move. I'd actually rather see Yacyk in LF with Todd catching and Embry either in RF or on the bench. Keep Dylan at first!
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:
LUDad wrote:I would like to see how we would do with Yacyk and Mathieu in same lineup. Mathieu at 1st, Yacyk DH, (or vice versa) & Allen at 2nd. We need Yacyk's bat popping if we are going to make any waves at tournment time.
I hear you on the lineup, but Dylan Allen has been as close as you get to perfect at first base. One error in 253 chances and a bunch of great scoops/stretches to save errors by infielders. I really don't know about Mathieu, but Yacyk is a mediocre defensive first baseman. I'm thinking we give up too much defense with that move. I'd actually rather see Yacyk in LF with Todd catching and Embry either in RF or on the bench. Keep Dylan at first!
That would work. I think Yacyk just needs a couple of series to get back to where he was in 2016.
By elvisistheking
Is Yacyk hurt?? The kid needs at bats if healthy, put him in the line-up and leave him alone. He's their best power bat from the right side, when true to form. Defensively, he's at least ok. His bio indicated that he was the #1 HS first baseman in Maryland, as per perfect game. Cant believe is defensive skills have deteriorated. Probably an adequate left fielder, but speed is a definite liability.
Although I haven't been following the team all that close, I do often read the box scores. Since the line up is left hand heavy, Jackson needs to find a better way to integrate some righties with pop. I think there are better options than what we have seen so far. Some of which were delineated by you all.
By WestPAGator
Yacyk needs to be back in the starting lineup whereever he plays. I don't understand why Jackson is wasting him on the bench. He's a fifth year senior, has plenty of power and deserves more chances to play. There are guys in the lineup who are not doing anything much better than Yacyk has done so far. As far as his talent at 1st, he's better than a mediocre defensive first baseman. He throws left handed and is much taller than Allen, so that is an advantage already. His bio says he was Perfect Game's top first baseman in the state of Maryland in his prep years. Coming off labrum surgery last year, he might have had a slow start, but definitely should be getting more opportunity. Jackson is obviously going with the younger guys for some reason.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
WestPAGator wrote:Yacyk needs to be back in the starting lineup whereever he plays. I don't understand why Jackson is wasting him on the bench. He's a fifth year senior, has plenty of power and deserves more chances to play. There are guys in the lineup who are not doing anything much better than Yacyk has done so far. As far as his talent at 1st, he's better than a mediocre defensive first baseman. He throws left handed and is much taller than Allen, so that is an advantage already. His bio says he was Perfect Game's top first baseman in the state of Maryland in his prep years. Coming off labrum surgery last year, he might have had a slow start, but definitely should be getting more opportunity. Jackson is obviously going with the younger guys for some reason.
I kinda hate to see his bat wasted. He came back to try and improve his chances at playing pro ball, had a slow start and is probably trying too hard now. He could have been the DH last year, even with his injury but , he could not have played in the field. It would be nice to get him and Mattieu in the lineup ate the same time but..................................
He is a great kid too, not that it means a whole lot if you don't play.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yacyk is not somebody you want in left field. He or matthieu should be at first. Yacyk was a plus defensive first basemen and i have not seen matthieu in the field so i would lean yacyk. They absolutely need a right power option in the lineup. For that matter, move allen back to third and play galazin or mcydre at 2nd. Go with the hot bat.

I have not understood the usage of tarantola either. He has not been very successfully out of the pen but has made about 4 starts the last 2 years of which 2 have been great. We desparately need better SP

I like the switch of price and bertsch. I would follow price with skirrow and then tarantola. Give hand a shot at mid week. Clinton has fared better in relief historically and move him back to that role.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Yacyk is not somebody you want in left field. He or matthieu should be at first. Yacyk was a plus defensive first basemen and i have not seen matthieu in the field so i would lean yacyk. They absolutely need a right power option in the lineup. For that matter, move allen back to third and play galazin or mcydre at 2nd. Go with the hot bat.

I have not understood the usage of tarantola either. He has not been very successfully out of the pen but has made about 4 starts the last 2 years of which 2 have been great. We desparately need better SP

I like the switch of price and bertsch. I would follow price with skirrow and then tarantola. Give hand a shot at mid week. Clinton has fared better in relief historically and move him back to that role.
Unless his hitting falls off a cliff, I would not move Dylan from first base. It is a MUCH more important defensive position than LF, and he has been impeccable this year. Yacyk was an "OK" first baseman 2 years and 20 pounds ago. I would not have called him a plus. When he played in LF, it was an adventure at first, but got a lot better as he got used to it. Even at the MLB level, LF is where you put a player who doesn't really have a position, but you want his bat in the lineup.

BTW, I totally agree with everything you said on the pitching.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I am not saying we should not look for a way to get Andrew's bat in the lineup more, but IMHO there is too much weeping and wailing about our lineup. We are second in the BSC in runs scored, just 5 behind G-W. We are also first in fielding %. Those are 2 things that "ain't broke". Let's not break one trying to "fix" the other.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]