This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We are up 9-0 after 8. Price had a no-hitter through 6.1 innings. Still pitching in the 9th.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Price ran out of gas in the 9th. Score is now 9-1 with the bases loaded and one out. Bertsch in to try to close it out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bertsh slams the door shut by striking out the last 2 batters. Looks like he and Price are swapping roles and he will be the closer. Don't look now guys, but in spite of all the issues with pitching, we are 17-11, which is exactly where we were after 28 games last year. Jackson looks to have cobbled together a workable rotation with Price, Clinton and Stamper starting, Bertsch closing and guys like Hand, Tarantola, Stout and Good coming out of the pen. If we can get Skirrow back on track we may be able to do some damage.

Good to see Embry get a couple of hits. His hot start may have been a bit of a fluke, but we need more out of him than we have been getting lately. Locklear had another homer today. After horrible starts, he and McDyer have been our hottest hitters.

Campbell is still in first place in the BSC after this loss with an 8-2 record.
Last edited by olldflame on April 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Outside of todd locklear has been our best all around hitter. Dj is having an ok season by his standards. Hes not driving the ball like he did last year.

Youd like to see some development from stamper and skirrow here.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just did a little checking on NCAA stats. We are 25th in runs per game, 19th in OBP and 6th in walks. We are also 33rd in fielding %. Offense is not really an issue, and neither is defense. If we can tighten up the pitching a little, the BSC is winnable.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:We are up 9-0 after 8. Price had a no-hitter through 6.1 innings. Still pitching in the 9th.
Ballcoach says you're never supposed to mention that. It's bad luck. He's been trying to "coach me up" for months. :oldhag
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
olldflame wrote:We are up 9-0 after 8. Price had a no-hitter through 6.1 innings. Still pitching in the 9th.
Ballcoach says you're never supposed to mention that. It's bad luck. He's been trying to "coach me up" for months. :oldhag
That only applies while the no-hitter is still intact. Once it's over you can talk all you want.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
How many degrees do you have Cider? I'll concede ballcoach knows his softball, but stuff like that is superstitious silliness. The no-no was long gone before I mentioned it, but only because I hadn't gotten around to posting it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Only 4, but I misread your "had" as "has." My apologies, olldflame.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:How many degrees do you have Cider? I'll concede ballcoach knows his softball, but stuff like that is superstitious silliness. The no-no was long gone before I mentioned it, but only because I hadn't gotten around to posting it.
There are no superstitions in sports!! In the immortal words of Crash Davis ‘You never F%#£¥ with a hitting streak’!!
But I only have 3 degrees
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:How many degrees do you have Cider? I'll concede ballcoach knows his softball, but stuff like that is superstitious silliness. The no-no was long gone before I mentioned it, but only because I hadn't gotten around to posting it.
There are no superstitions in sports!! In the immortal words of Crash Davis ‘You never F%#£¥ with a hitting streak’!!
I only have a high school diploma but,

"If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid."
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
There is a big difference between "messing" with a hitting streak, no-hitter or anything else tangible and an uninvolved party talking about it on the internet or in the stands (or on TV or radio for that matter). You can make an argument for not talking about it in the dugout, and especially to the pitcher, but even then, it's not like he doesn't know if he hasn't given up a hit after 6 plus innings. It may be more of a tradition now (one of the "unwritten rules") but this stuff all started out back in the day when real superstition was pervasive in baseball.

As far as the "if it works" theory is concerned, show me an actual study that indicates talking about a no-hitter or not makes a difference and maybe I buy it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall earlier this season at a softball game, Cider cost LU pitcher a no-hitter.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
There is a big difference between "messing" with a hitting streak, no-hitter or anything else tangible and an uninvolved party talking about it on the internet or in the stands (or on TV or radio for that matter). You can make an argument for not talking about it in the dugout, and especially to the pitcher, but even then, it's not like he doesn't know if he hasn't given up a hit after 6 plus innings. It may be more of a tradition now (one of the "unwritten rules") but this stuff all started out back in the day when real superstition was pervasive in baseball.

As far as the "if it works" theory is concerned, show me an actual study that indicates talking about a no-hitter or not makes a difference and maybe I buy it.
You CAN’T study something like this. That’s the point. Once you study it you’ve messed with it. :shock:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LCA pitchers (Clinton and Price) are 9-4. I wonder if Barrick should give it a shot on the mound?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:LCA pitchers (Clinton and Price) are 9-4. I wonder if Barrick should give it a shot on the mound?

Yeah, those guys had a pretty good pitching coach in HS. If Barrick has any talent whatsoever on the mound, Jackson might as well give him a shot. It's not like it would be a distraction from all the hitting and fielding he has been doing so far this year. :roll:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I recall earlier this season at a softball game, Cider cost LU pitcher a no-hitter.

Yeah, it was all Cider's fault. Couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the fact that the other team had bats in their hands. :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I recall earlier this season at a softball game, Cider cost LU pitcher a no-hitter.

Yeah, it was all Cider's fault. Couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the fact that the other team had bats in their hands. :roll:
I’m gonna side with ballcoach on this one. The other team had bats in their hand the entire game before Cider opened his big YAPPER too! Only got a hit AFTER he piped up!
By LUDad
Nice approach at the plate yesterday. They had a pitcher who does not issue walks so they jumped all over him in the first inning by being aggressive early in the count . As Campbell adjusted, so did LU and they begin getting their walks.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Game 2 rescheduled as part of a double-header tomorrow. It will probably work out, but this is not the smart way to handle a weekend series when you are facing sketchy weather. Play 2 on Friday if weather permits like Longwood did with the softball series. As best I can recall, this is how Liberty always handles a situation like this.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: Play 2 on Friday if weather permits like Longwood did with the softball series.
Once again, ballcoach proves that Longwood is SMART. Someboday has been "coaching them up."
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
We lost the first game 5-4 and won the second game 8-3. In the first game, Flames were down 5-0 until the late innings. Mathieu homered in the 7th and LU rallied for 3 more in the 8th. Bases were loaded when the top of the 8th ended for LU. It was an odd stat line in the second game. Liberty scored 8 runs on 2 hits and 15 walks. :shock:

Good series for the Flames. You prefer to sweep, but top teams win series.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]