This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Why do so many LCA players and Lynchburg area players sign with colleges other than LU ? Some even go to Big South Schools. I realize LU can't get them all, but I see good players "get away".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Since each player and situation is different and unique, it depends. You’d have to be specific
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I had rather not post names. But one example is a couple weeks ago I saw that a former Jefferson Forest pitcher had back to back games with 12 or 14 strikeouts. I forget school, but I think it was Gardner Webb.
There was a LCA player last season who was probably the 3rd best high school hitter I have ever seen. He ended up going to University of New Orleans, where is hitting over .300 at last check.
By Jonathan Carone
Kids want to get away from home.

Kids don't fit the Liberty culture.

Kids want to play at a bigger school than Liberty.

Not every local kid should end up at the local school. I can't understand how fans don't grasp that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Going to another BSC school is not "a bigger school" than Liberty. I can understand a baseball player going to Virginia Tech, UVA, UNC or any ACC school or SEC school.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kids want to get away from home.

Kids don't fit the Liberty culture.

Kids want to play at a bigger school than Liberty.

Not every local kid should end up at the local school. I can't understand how fans don't grasp that.
Some kids want to stay, some want to go away. That’s a big thing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Going to another BSC school is not "a bigger school" than Liberty. I can understand a baseball player going to Virginia Tech, UVA, UNC or any ACC school or SEC school.
So, you read Jon's post with multiple reasons a local athlete might choose not to attend Liberty (and believe me, there are many more) but you choose to point out the ONE that does not apply. :roll:

You have made it clear that in that hard head of yours you think every local player who has D1 talent should come to Liberty, and when one does not, you imply that our coaches have "dropped the ball" in not signing them. That's just not how it is, and if you check, you will see that baseball in particular has multiple (as in 7) Virginia kids on the roster.

If you want to point out an example of a Liberty team that is possibly NOT recruiting locally, look no further than your beloved softball team which has only 2 Virginians (one recruited by Dot) 7 from California and 4 from Florida. There is a good reason for that however, and you should know what it is.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I do not imply coaches have dropped ball on every athlete that leaves area. But I do know of a couple cases in Lynchburg, where if LU had offered, player would have signed with LU "on the spot".

For the record my head probably isn't any harder than yours. At least I do not attack a poster if I do not agree with him/her.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not imply coaches have dropped ball on every athlete that leaves area. But I do know of a couple cases in Lynchburg, where if LU had offered, player would have signed with LU "on the spot".

For the record my head probably isn't any harder than yours. At least I do not attack a poster if I do not agree with him/her.
Oldflame engages in debate. He will make a claim or statement and back it up with fact. Even change his mind with opposing compelling evidence.
You engage in personal opinion and Feelz.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I do not imply coaches have dropped ball on every athlete that leaves area. But I do know of a couple cases in Lynchburg, where if LU had offered, player would have signed with LU "on the spot".

You of all people have no right to call out someone for saying something uncomplimentary about another person. Do I need to remind you of your totally inappropriate remarks about Longwood's softball coach? As far as my head is concerned, some who know me would suggest I am actually getting a bit soft there. 8)

One can always point to an anecdotal example or 2 and say after the fact that "this athlete would have come to Liberty, but we didn't offer, and now they are tearing it up". Hindsight is 20/20, and you can't sign every athlete who wants to come here.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Have I ever "attacked" a poster because I did not agree with what he/she posted ? Remember message boards are for opinions. No message board is 100% factual.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Have I ever "attacked" a poster because I did not agree with what he/she posted ? Remember message boards are for opinions. No message board is 100% factual.
You were in the Army, and you consider saying someone has a hard head an "attack"??
:rofl :rofl

Not only is your head hard, your skin is thin.

You are correct about message boards, but you consistantly post your opinion as if it is fact.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Have I ever "attacked" a poster because I did not agree with what he/she posted ? Remember message boards are for opinions. No message board is 100% factual.
You were in the Army, and you consider saying someone has a hard head an "attack"??
:rofl :rofl

Not only is your head hard, your skin is thin.

You are correct about message boards, but you consistantly post your opinion as if it is fact.
Well he was an MP
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The horton brothers were here. One was on the team and the other brother was committed. With the change from toman to jackson it was basically ensenuated that older horton wouldnt see time so he left and younger horton decommitted and committed to south carolina. He then enrolled at CSU to play with his brother. That was my understanding anyway.

There a ton of lca baseball players that have slipped away in the past 5 years. Some due to what was mentioned above. Some we just whiffed on or didnt pursue hard enough.
By Jonathan Carone
For as good of a recruiter as Toman is, he’s not the greatest player evaluator. There’s a guy who will likely be on the Cubs opening day roster who was here during the fall one year and Toman thought he was too soft so the kid left. That happened on smaller scales multiple times.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Kids want to get away from home. YES

Kids don't fit the Liberty culture. YES

Kids want to play at a bigger school than Liberty. YES

Not every local kid should end up at the local school. I can't understand how fans don't grasp that. A THOUSAND TIMES YES
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I probably lost count of the number of high school players here that I certainly would have loved to play in the red, white and navy blue (or royal blue) of Liberty but when they didn't sign, it didn't rankle me as much as it does you, ballcoach. I remember calling a JF vs. Amherst game with Erik Heiligenstadt (sp?) and then remember following his pitching against Liberty at Gardner Webb. For every one of those or Zach Hess, you have kids like Steven Evans or Zach Clinton who comes just up the road and does well for us and I could probably start a few baseball teams with the number of guys who we signed and didn't work out as Im sure others have noted.
Last edited by BJWilliams on March 15th, 2018, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Gardner Webb beat UNC 1-0 today.
Great win for them, but I fail to see how it applies here. They also lost their previous 2 games 9-0 to UMass-Lowell and 6-0 to Troy. For the record, the starter and winning pitcher in the UNC game was Mason Fox. He is not from Virginia. In the spirit of full disclosure however, Eric Jones, who hit the game winning HR, is from Charlotte Courthouse. I'm sure if we had signed him we would have swept the Heels. :roll:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Getting 3 LCA kids for next year.

Collins, Christian Gordon and Johnson all are headed to play baseball at LU. All three hit above .455 last season.

Collins, a second baseman who transferred to LCA from New Jersey ahead of the 2018 season, said he always believed playing at the next level was a possibility.

“Division I was always my goal,” he said. “I knew I was good enough, I just had to keep putting in the hours.”
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]