This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We win 16-0.

Does anyone know why college baseball does not have a Slaughter Rule ?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I checked with a baseball guru, and he informed me that reason NCAA had no slaughter rule is because NCAA wants teams to use as much pitching as possible. Force teams to develop a deep pitching staff.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I checked with a baseball guru, and he informed me that reason NCAA had no slaughter rule is because NCAA wants teams to use as much pitching as possible. Force teams to develop a deep pitching staff.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ouch. Checked rpi today and its down to 182.

Did what we should do against a weak opponent at home today. Good to see yacyk and highfill get going.

Looks like we might lose tre todd as well. The way hes swinging the stick its hard to imagine hes not going to be taken fairly high if he keeps this up.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I checked with a baseball guru, and he informed me that reason NCAA had no slaughter rule is because NCAA wants teams to use as much pitching as possible. Force teams to develop a deep pitching staff.
What? Are you serious?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I checked with a baseball guru, and he informed me that reason NCAA had no slaughter rule is because NCAA wants teams to use as much pitching as possible. Force teams to develop a deep pitching staff.
What? Are you serious?
He doesn’t really have good sources. Historically they’ve been awful
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Your source is wrong again Ballcoach. According to Wikipedia, the mercy rule is up to the conference during the regular season and conference tournaments, not mandated either way by the NCAA. The IBAF rule is 10 runs after 7 innings played by the trailing team.
In regular season or conference tournament NCAA and NAIA college baseball, the IBAF rule may be implemented. Most NCAA conferences limit the rule to the final day of a series, for travel reasons, or primarily during conference tournaments where four to five games are played in a day, in order to allow the next game to start. The rule is not allowed in NCAA tournament play (regionals, super regionals and College World Series), in which all games must be at least nine innings.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Hunter, do you really think Wikipedia is a more credible source than ballcoach's baseball guru? :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Hunter, do you really think Wikipedia is a more credible source than ballcoach's baseball guru? :lol:
Right now the Weekly World News in the grocery store check out aisle is more credible than any source ballcoach has named

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.banner ... ercy-rules
Last edited by Purple Haize on March 7th, 2018, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Thats not really true either. Its left up to the 2 coaches involved typically. It may be more true in conference and tourney play but its not something thats high on the conferences prioroties.
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote:Hunter, do you really think Wikipedia is a more credible source than ballcoach's baseball guru? :lol:
Yes. Always.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
SECTION 77 By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the contest, a game may be stopped only after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs
Each team must play an equal number of innings unless shortened because the home team needs none or only part of its half of the final inning.

See Section 77 (p. 40).

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/BA18.pdf
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Refer to NCAA Tournament Play Rule for the real answer, which is in line as to what my source told me. We may have too get Cider to set up a debate contest to fully solve this issue. I believe me and my source would win, easily (by slaughter rule at that)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach's baseball guru has forgottten more baseball than you guys know. :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Refer to NCAA Tournament Play Rule for the real answer, which is in line as to what my source told me. We may have too get Cider to set up a debate contest to fully solve this issue. I believe me and my source would win, easily (by slaughter rule at that)
As in the CWS?

Cause Adam actually posted the Official NCAA Rule. That’s a pretty solid source
Last edited by Purple Haize on March 7th, 2018, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Ballcoach's baseball guru has forgottten more baseball than you guys know. :oldhag
It’s called Alzheimer’s. There are treatments for that. :D
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Refer to NCAA Tournament Play Rule for the real answer, which is in line as to what my source told me. We may have too get Cider to set up a debate contest to fully solve this issue. I believe me and my source would win, easily (by slaughter rule at that)
As in the CWS?

There is no 10 run rule in NCAA Tournament play. It has nothing to do with whatever ballcoach’s source said. It’s because you always allow teams a chance to come back during tournament play.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We are missing the point in what makes ballcoach's statement ludicrus, which is the REASON given for not having a mercy rule, to "force teams to use a lot of pitchers and develop a deep pitching staff". LOL at that one.

In our "crying Jordan" blowout of JMU last year, the game was ended after 7 by mutual consent of the coaches, which would seem to be consistent with what I am reading here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
As in the CWS?

There is no 10 run rule in NCAA Tournament play. It has nothing to do with whatever ballcoach’s source said. It’s because you always allow teams a chance to come back during tournament play.
So ballcoach’s dubious source says there IS no ‘Slaughter Rule’ because teams want to develop pitchers. We have already proven there IS a ‘Slaughter Rule’ (LU Even participated in one) So now let’s see where he goes with the ‘development of pitching’ thought
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]