This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By WestPAGator
Since Yacyk was pulled, the DH position has had 1 hit (Matthieu HR). How can he start hitting if he’s not in the lineup? Jackson is obviously favoring his own recruits and tossing JT’s to the side. Ben Highfill, too. Probably best position player on the team sitting in the dugout.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When he starts hitting, he will be in lineup.
I love how Jackson has used his roster so far. He gave Yacyk 4 full games of O-fers before he went with another bat at DH. Andrew will get used in spots now til he comes around, and when he does, he will give us a much needed power bat from the R side. DH is not like SS where you can play a guy for his glove even if he isn't hitting like we did last year with Locklear. I also really like how he flip-flopped Embry and Todd at catcher and LF for a game yesterday. He got to see how Tre did behind the plate and kept him from getting too rusty with the "tools of ignorance" in case something happens to Embry and we need him there later. Smart move.

6-1, and most of the new guys have gotten a good look. Can't ask for much more at this point.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
WestPAGator wrote:Since Yacyk was pulled, the DH position has had 1 hit (Matthieu HR). How can he start hitting if he’s not in the lineup? Jackson is obviously favoring his own recruits and tossing JT’s to the side. Ben Highfill, too. Probably best position player on the team sitting in the dugout.
Before Yacyk was pulled, the DH position had zero hits. How? Make the most of his reps in BP and the shots he gets to play, just like any other player. He made a start getting his first hit as a PH.
Highfill is a good fielder (impressive for a big guy) who hasn't hit a lick so far. He has gotten some use as a defensive replacement. Looks to me like if anyone has an agenda here it is not Jackson. He would be an idiot to choose his lineup based on who recruited them. He is not an idiot.
Last edited by olldflame on February 26th, 2018, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
I trust Scott Jackson more than any person who has been in the dugout since I started following Liberty Baseball. Until his lineups stop producing, I’m good with whatever he’s doing because he knows more about his team than any of us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I trust Scott Jackson more than any person who has been in the dugout since I started following Liberty Baseball. Until his lineups stop producing, I’m good with whatever he’s doing because he knows more about his team than any of us.
Bingo. :clapping
By Jonathan Carone
Toman recruit not playing: Yacyk

Toman recruits playing: Bertsch, Allen, Artis, Clinton, Price, Embry, Mathieu

Yep. Jackson hates Toman recruits.

I think it may be time to go follow College of Charleston’s message board.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Toman recruit not playing: Yacyk

And it's not like Yacyk has been cast aside. When Binghamton brought in a lefty, Jackson immediately went to him, and he responded with his first hit of the year and a walk.
By AFF
I don't see the problem! We are winning!! Remember these kids have been playing/practicing seen September. Coach Jackson has had plenty of time to evaluate HIS players. He has put forth a winning formula so far in the wake of injuries among the pitching staff. Too much pressure for wins/success for coaches to play favorites at this level. Tough to judge the players this early...besides we are already 24% of the way to our expectations of only 25 wins :D :lol: :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
One of LU's biggest fans still says that baseball will have a higher winning % than softball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:One of LU's biggest fans still says that baseball will have a higher winning % than softball.
I would say it certainly looks more possible right now than I thought before their seasons started. Softball has had the tougher schedule so far, but that should equalize in the coming weeks.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:One of LU's biggest fans still says that baseball will have a higher winning % than softball.
And I believe a "gentleman's bet" was involved, with ballcoach choosing softball. :fineprint
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I would have to agree that highfill has yet to hit other a hr first thing last year. Locklear will eventually have to hit some to stay in.

There is absolutely one element of truth to westpagators post. You dont come out of slumps not playing and 13 at bats is not a large sample size. Hitting is very much timing. The Ab's i saw he did look very out of sorts. A lot of jamming himself like tyler bream did his junior year. To me, some of that is expected when your out a year. I saw nothing from karraker yesterday that indicated hes someone that see dh at bats ahead of yacyk/mattieu.

As far as playing toman recruits. Bertsch and clinton?? I mean what choice does he have their with the crappy pitching toman left ha. I agree that hes not doing that. I just think jackson is trying to make things happen and hope yacyk can work it out in bp which is tough.

Aff..as always its easy to say 25 wins is low im hindsight when you see the freshman perform and the schedule appears to be fairly weak which you dont know until games start.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Toman recruit not playing: Yacyk

Mathieu was a Toman recruit? He's only a freshman so did Toman recruit him as a sophomore in HS?
By elvisistheking
jinxy wrote:I would have to agree that highfill has yet to hit other a hr first thing last year. Locklear will eventually have to hit some to stay in.

There is absolutely one element of truth to westpagators post. You dont come out of slumps not playing and 13 at bats is not a large sample size. Hitting is very much timing. The Ab's i saw he did look very out of sorts. A lot of jamming himself like tyler bream did his junior year. To me, some of that is expected when your out a year. I saw nothing from karraker yesterday that indicated hes someone that see dh at bats ahead of yacyk/mattieu.

As far as playing toman recruits. Bertsch and clinton?? I mean what choice does he have their with the crappy pitching toman left ha. I agree that hes not doing that. I just think jackson is trying to make things happen and hope yacyk can work it out in bp which is tough.

Aff..as always its easy to say 25 wins is low im hindsight when you see the freshman perform and the schedule appears to be fairly weak which you dont know until games start.

Don't really know what to think about this team thus far. True, Toman's pitching staff was suspect, but I wonder what effect coaching, or lack thereof, had overall.
Locklears' bat needs to come around at some point even with his adept defense.
Yacyk's poor start was a surprise for sure. But I can't pull the kid after 13 Ab's and not expect it to affect his confidence.
They need his bat in the line up and not with him having to look over his shoulder.
I don't care who the recruits belong to, put in the best hitters and leave them alone. Jackson seems to be using this
righty/lefty matchup thing to excess, maybe tone it down a little.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Mattieu really stayed back and hit a frozen rope at the ss yesterday pinch hitting. Very impressive.

As to seeing what the team offers by the fall results. Thats total crap. Its a total different ballgame when the season starts. You have no idea who will produce of the jucos and frosh until you see them play games against others. Every single year guys emerge that struggled in the fall and one or 2 guys crumble that are great fall scrimmage players.
By AFF
My response regarding the fall is totally about building a foundation to start with. The coaches have to start a reference from somewhere. The fall and three weeks prior to the season is where that foundation is built. What else could they possibly go by? Now I do completely agree with you in the fact there are many for fall Americans who don't produce when the "lights come on". This presents opportunities for others to step up and fill a spot. It's the nature of baseball. Once again I think it's still too early to start second-guessing the coaching staff and players. You Need a healthy mix of strong defense and offense along with pitching to win. Nine hitters can't win a ball game, just like nine defenders can't either. Nine Jacks on the mound well maybe that's a different story.

I'm impressed with the number of homeruns we have hit at home during the stretch. Don't quote me but I think we only had 12 homeruns are you at home.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I Agree. Simply saying jackson didnt even know what he had for sure. Great scheduling 7 home games for a young team as well.

Also pretty sure i was the first or second to recommend we look at jackson when the job came open. Jon may have beat me to it.
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote: pretty sure i was the first or second to recommend we look at jackson when the job came open. Jon may have beat me to it.
I was on the Scott Jackson train since he left for Carolina. I have friends who played for him and they couldn’t say enough good things about him.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]