This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Zach Clinton was mentioned as a mid-week starter but not sure if he will go since he pitched extended innings on Friday.
By LUDad
I think that Clinton deserves a start but personally I think he has found his calling card as a mid-inning relief guy that can come in and put out fires by pounding the zone and hand off to setup guy or closer.

I would rather see a freshman start today with Clinton available to bale him out.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Frosh Stamper solid thru 3. Good tilt and biting action. Decent off speed, sits 88 to 89 and topped out at 91. Looks like another good piece

Todd tagged a ball to the opposite field track that was caught. Not much going offensively so far

On another note. Fairly certain jmus starting 3b is the son of former flame tennis coach chris johnson.
By LUDad
Stamper has 6 SO's so far in 4th. Good for freshman's confidence. JMU struck out 34 times against HP despite sweaping the series.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed they are top 3 ugliest ive seen in college. Gardner webbs version of camo is in their as well.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Embrys 3rd hit drives in the 2nd run of the day for the flames. Embry has been excellent blocking balls in the dirt. Only weakness is his throwing.

One key ive seen is we will need yacyk and mcdyre to get going to break up all the lefties.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Brockman with a clean first inning but gives up a first pitch bomb and another 2b and a shot that artis tracked down against the wall. Manages to strand the 2nd runner.

Good looking slider. Seemed to be mid 80s until he touched 90 up in the zone.

Meanwhile jmu continues to throw side arming righties. 3 of the sort so far.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Who needs small ball when you can just hammer our 2-run diffrence-makers? Thanks to Todd we are now up 4-1 with a littl breathing room for our pen.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Always good to beat JMU.

As for the umpire, he is probably like most, has no idea what strike zone is.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
He missed 3 or 4 calls especially on strike 3 to artis the ball that went over wagner or rohrers head that he said hit the bat. However he had the stones to call catcher interference twice on jmu and call back a jmu hit batsman. The kid def leaned into the ball and one of the 2 interference calls was definite as well. The other was a 50 50 call.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: On another note. Fairly certain jmus starting 3b is the son of former flame tennis coach chris johnson.
Actually his dad is Paul Johnson, I believe THE Paul Johnson who was an outstanding QB for the Flames out of Appomattox back in the day.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In the postgame interview following the opener, Jackson reported that Brabrand had left the game with a cramp. After further assessment, it is now being called a hamstring injury. Not good news. Even a minor hammie problem can sometimes linger for an entire season if you try to play through it. Best to shut him down and make sure it is healed before putting him back out there.
By LUDad
Next man up. Presents great opportunities for everyone down the line in the pitching rotation. Hopefully, we will be stronger by tournament time because of it.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Next man up. Presents great opportunities for everyone down the line in the pitching rotation. Hopefully, we will be stronger by tournament time because of it.
Truth but losing your top two pitchers on the roster does not create an easy path to success. Hopefully the young guys continue to respond well and the seasoned guys take it up a notch. I think with our current coaching staff we have a good chance of success in spite of the difficulties.
By LUDad
flamehunter wrote:
LUDad wrote:Next man up. Presents great opportunities for everyone down the line in the pitching rotation. Hopefully, we will be stronger by tournament time because of it.
Truth but losing your top two pitchers on the roster does not create an easy path to success. Hopefully the young guys continue to respond well and the seasoned guys take it up a notch. I think with our current coaching staff we have a good chance of success in spite of the difficulties.
I agree. I'm trying to look on the bright side (: One factor we have going for us is the scheduling. Under Toman we would be looking at two weekday games each week. With the new scheduling we only have one weekday game. Think how difficult out present situation would if we had to have 5 starting arms each week instead of 4.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Good point on the scheduling. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it. I am liking the direction the program is going, early as it is in Coach Jackson's tenure. I hope it continues.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
we keep this up Scott Jackson takes a vacant P5 job by the end of the year...
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:we keep this up Scott Jackson takes a vacant P5 job by the end of the year...
Bite your tongue young man.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Now theres a premature post ha. Lets at least get through 2 weekends and see what our competition is and how good they are.

I think the year we started 16 and 1 was the year toman started trying to bait for more money every year and flirted with maryland and mtsu.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]