This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
It's notable that Liberty's Game Notes lists VCU's Friday starter as Connor Gillespie and the Saturday started as Sean Thompson. Thompson was VCU's Friday starter last year and opened with a 3-0 win over # 5 Florida State. He went 5 innings giving up 0 runs/1 hit/3 BB/ 6 SO. Perhaps its a weather thing.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
All of the flames runs came on home runs. A 2 run shot by Embry in the first and a 3 run homer in the 6th by the left fielder, I think. That was a blast that cleared the caboose and landed in the road out there. Epic bat flip too. VCU out hit us. Clinton pitched about 4 innings in relief for the win and price got the 4 out save but not without giving up 1 in the 9th with 2 LOB to make it interesting.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Some very questionable base running in the bottom of the 8th, but the Flames pull it out, in a close one. The 3 run homer, was an absolute bomb. The right fielder barely moved, just turned and admired the vapor trail.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Good to get the win. The known commodities got the win today. I think we all expected artis, embry and todd to be the key pieces and hopefully Yacyk too if he's right. Didn't get much else from the offense though we certainly saw Mcdyre could be a key piece last year.

Sounds like it's going to be Bertsch and then a whole lot of see who can perform the rest of the way. The alignment was a little surprising in that Allen was at first and Locklear was on the bench..again i dont have any sources like i did a few years ago to know if he's banged up or not. Hopefully i'm wrong but I'm just not a believer in Allen. We've tried to have him win the job at 3b for what seems like half a decade now and he gets hurt or doesn't produce every year.

Anyway, buckle the next 2 or 3 days should be interesting.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Any word on Brabrand? Left game, maybe pulled muscle?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:Any word on Brabrand? Left game, maybe pulled muscle?
Per Jackson in his post game with Nick, it was just a cramp.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Right on cue allen with a 3 run shot in the first. Thats got to be like 2nd or 3rd career dinger. We will take it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
12 to 10 in 8th after 3 run 2b from artis. Gonna have to win a lot of games like this in beer league softball action im afraid.

Bertsch struggled again though a couple defensive miscues hurt him some. Gonna have to have more from him if were going to do much this year.

Balls and walks. Lots of them.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Price with 5 k's in two innings to get the save. Struck out the side in the 9th. 14-10 win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We get the sweep 4-2. FR Noah Skirrow with an impressive debut, pitching 5.2 innings of 2 hit shutout ball while striking out 9 and only walking one. Hard to know at this point how good or bad this VCU team is, but they have been pretty solid over the past several years.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Impressive opening weekend. VCU is a solid program and with as much turnover as we had that was huge. Skirrow is impressive. He reminds me a bit of parker bean. Hopefully this staff can develop him more than the prior staff did bean. Also ben good with 2 inning save. Brockman got a nice DP before falling into trouble.

The lineup is going to be fine if guys like allen locklear and galalzin keep producing. Yayck looks huge, maybe too big ha. Im not sure he got a hit all weekend.

Next up jmu off a sweep of a decent high point squad. Maybe jmu is back to being respectable after a terrible 5 or 6 year run.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I love the approach these guys have under Jackson.
I love that we actually HAVE an approach. 8)

Patience at bat (Dylan Allen drew 8 walks in the double header, including a record 5 in game 2).
Throw strikes on the mound.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I love the approach these guys have under Jackson.
I love that we actually HAVE an approach. 8)

Patience at bat (Dylan Allen drew 8 walks in the double header, including a record 5 in game 2).
Throw strikes on the mound.
And not trying to crush it out of the park on every swing.
By LUDad
Dylan Allen leading team after first series in Slugging % (.833), On Base % (.714), Runs scored (5), Walks (8), tied for 1st in Home Runs (1), tied for 2nd in Batting avg. (.333), tied for 3nd in RBI's (3) and has committed no errors and has not struck-out.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Dylan Allen leading team after first series in Slugging % (.833), On Base % (.714), Runs scored (5), Walks (8), tied for 1st in Home Runs (1), tied for 2nd in Batting avg. (.333), tied for 3nd in RBI's (3) and has committed no errors and has not struck-out.
If he and Embry can keep rolling, DJ acts like DJ, and then get Yacyk hitting like he's capable, we can be a very potent offense. Then you add in Todd, Locklear and others contributing regularly. I was impressed with how many different guys contributed one way or another this weekend. The young pitchers showed some promise too and it looks like we'll need them.
By Jonathan Carone
Our lineup has the potential to be really solid. Just need the pitching to hold up their end. They're young and/or inexperienced but the talent is there.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So largey apparently had a pretty major shoulder surgery and is out for the year. He was one of the higher rated lefty swing outfielders that probably could have started as well. Thats 3 fairly big injuries preseason.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]