This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The 2018 schedule is posted. We open up at home February 16 vs. VCU in a 3 games series. our first 7 games are at home.

We play ACC schools VT, UVA, UNC, Duke and Wake Forest.
By CCWMichael
Wish I resided close enough to see these games.
We have a strong coach in place and a team with the talent expectations to represent in the postseason again.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Frankly I am a bit surprised by the schedule. This has to be the most Mid-Atlantic focused schedule we have had since our D2 days. Other than that weekend series in NYC, there really isn't much deviation. Typically we have recruited talent-rich Georgia & Florida and sometimes even Texas. We will not get any exposure in those areas in 2018. I guess this shows the direction the new staff is taking on recruiting.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I thought there would have been more games with Power 5 schools.

We do ourselves no good by playing "cupcakes" (in any sport). Need to build a strong RPI.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Cupcakes??? I'm no college baseball powerhouse expert... but i didn't look at that schedule and feel it was filled with cupcakes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:Cupcakes??? I'm no college baseball powerhouse expert... but i didn't look at that schedule and feel it was filled with cupcakes.
According to the ballcoach rating system, if you are not in the SEC you are a cupcake. If he had his way as far as scheduling is concerned, all of our teams would be demoralized.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The schedule is a slight step back from years past. Its similar to tomans early years minus early season tourneys. It could be that jackson doesnt know what to expect this year. Obviously you could have the pitcher of the year and player of year favorites in artis and degroat but there are a lot of question marks with young players and yacyk coming off injury.
By LUDad
It's great that the school stepped up to the plate and have 27 games scheduled for TV thus far (does not count games that will be televised by other schools such as UNC). I try to attend as many games as possible but its really nice to be able to watch many of the games that I cannot make.
By cruzan_flame13
LUDad wrote:It's great that the school stepped up to the plate and have 27 games scheduled for TV thus far (does not count games that will be televised by other schools such as UNC). I try to attend as many games as possible but its really nice to be able to watch many of the games that I cannot make.
Is there a list that show where these games will be televised?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We should put up some runs and play good enough defense to win. Its all literally going to be how we pitch.

Now you can really see how bare toman had left the cupboard. He left about 3 high end studs in degroat artis and yacyk and quite and a few others like locklear etc but these guys have had to pretty much turn the entire pitching staff over. I cant remember a year that i knew less of what to expect than this year. The schedule is certainly manageable. If we can manage to win 1 at unc and not got swpet its very very manageable.
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote: Now you can really see how bare toman had left the cupboard.
For a dude known as a recruiter, he really didn’t bring much in those last couple years.
By AFF
I kinda have to disagree. The draft hurt the 2016 class.

Alex Kirilloff (1st round pick)and Khali Lee (3 round pick) would have been huge for the program this year!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
AFF wrote:I kinda have to disagree. The draft hurt the 2016 class.

Alex Kirilloff (1st round pick)and Khali Lee (3 round pick) would have been huge for the program this year!
Those 2 commitments were pure window dressing. Neither had any intention of going to college and Toman knew it.
By AFF
Exactly but they had to be recruited! No defending either way but that class could've been special. I agree the draft for some recruits is predictable. For Toman to get that level of talent to even commit to LU has to speak to his ability to recruit regardless of his ability to coach. Those kids were easy pickings for Powerhouse Programs.
By AFF
olldflame wrote:
AFF wrote:I kinda have to disagree. The draft hurt the 2016 class.

Those 2 commitments were pure window dressing. Neither had any intention of going to college and Toman knew it.

Oh so they don't count. Got it! :lol:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I think kiriloff was pretty obvious but lee im not sure was a guaranteed sign. Regardless it was the middle and back of the roster that was neglected. Toman did ok with high level guys but struggled to fill out the depth. The best years were the middle years when we had a good amount of overall depth which i think jackson is doing.

I think theres no doubt this crew is developing the talent better. Whether they can recruit well enough to be what we want is tbd.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]