This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know if we will play any "fall games" this year ?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Ton of new names with at least 10-12 being left-handed hitters. Unclear how may southpaws will be on the mound this year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Would love to see a roster. Chippy have you heard any new guys that look like contributors this year? Ive heard todd is going to be a good stick but struggles catching. Thats all ive heard.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I have seen a couple of scrimmages and talked to the coaches and some of the players and some scouts (there were about 20 in attendance, weather was poor, slight bit of rain and drizzle). LU had a scouts day on 12th of October. Artis appears to be the only real solid prospect right now. I am hearing 2nd or 3rd round. His lack of arm strength is going to land him in LF in the pros.
Laysic (sp) is almost 100% and the ball really jumps off of his bat. There is a freshman 1st baseman who really launches the ball as well. Looks like we should score some runs. Defense will be pretty good. Have a couple of holes to fill and some fundamentals need to be refined.
As always, it will boil down to pitching. DeGroat didn't throw on scout day that I saw. They say he is doing well and touching 97. A couple of pitchers are going to really have to step up for us to have a good year.
Things are always open to change, but that is a pretty broad consensus of opinions as of now.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Are yoy talking about michael largey? He was probably the most highly touted incoming frosh. Thats great news.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Is there a thread or a list somewhere to see who were brought in this year? I didn't recognize half the team when I watched them scrimmage.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Are yoy talking about michael largey? He was probably the most highly touted incoming frosh. Thats great news.
Can't remember his last name, wanting to say Mattieu, but can't say for sure. He played 1st base, number 55 I believe and is from NC. He is a very big young man, bigger than Yacik. Absolutely crushes the ball. I would expect him to DH, unless some things change.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
So you could be talking about blake brady or the lefty first baseman that redshirtedast year. Toby delamarre or something like that. Kid was from michigan.

Sounds like after fall ball the outfield is artis morris and embry with michael largey challenging for pt against righties. Havent heard for sure on infield but im guessing highfill at 3b mcdyre at 2b locklear ss and yayck brady and the kid above in the 1b dh roles. Matt allen and tre todd behind the plate with todd having such dh opportunities as well. Sounds like todd is def a middle of the order lefty bat but his defense is behind.

Pitching wise degroat prive and bertsch could be the weekend guys with tarantola and clinton challenging for midweek roles. No idea on the new guys. Sounds like we need to define a lot more.

In my opinion this can be a great offensive team if yayck is healthy and embry and todd are as good as their billing. We also should have the most team speed in recent memory. The entire outfield plus locklear and allen can swipe a bag or take extra bases. Defensively we could be very good as well if locklear and highfill can steady the left side.

Pitching is clear. We have some horses but we will need 3 to 5 of the new guys to step up.
By AFF
jinxy wrote:So you could be talking about blake brady or the lefty first baseman that redshirtedast year. Toby delamarre or something like that. Kid was from michigan.

Sounds like after fall ball the outfield is artis morris and embry with michael largey challenging for pt against righties. Havent heard for sure on infield but im guessing highfill at 3b mcdyre at 2b locklear ss and yayck brady and the kid above in the 1b dh roles. Matt allen and tre todd behind the plate with todd having such dh opportunities as well. Sounds like todd is def a middle of the order lefty bat but his defense is behind.

Pitching wise degroat prive and bertsch could be the weekend guys with tarantola and clinton challenging for midweek roles. No idea on the new guys. Sounds like we need to define a lot more.

In my opinion this can be a great offensive team if yayck is healthy and embry and todd are as good as their billing. We also should have the most team speed in recent memory. The entire outfield plus locklear and allen can swipe a bag or take extra bases. Defensively we could be very good as well if locklear and highfill can steady the left side.

Pitching is clear. We have some horses but we will need 3 to 5 of the new guys to step up.

Half the dudes you mention aren’t even on the team anymore( Morris, Brady, and other 1b Torre) Morris never came back and others well let go first week of practice. May want to recheck your source.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
What was going on at baseball stadium yesterday ? when I drove by after church , it looked liked practice was taking place.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
AFF wrote:
jinxy wrote:So you could be talking about blake brady or the lefty first baseman that redshirtedast year. Toby delamarre or something like that. Kid was from michigan.

Half the dudes you mention aren’t even on the team anymore( Morris, Brady, and other 1b Torre) Morris never came back and others well let go first week of practice. May want to recheck your source.
Thanks for your updates on this. I knew there was a lot of mis-information in the previous post, but didn't want to research it.
There were 20+ scouts here for our scout day. They were mainly interested in looking at Artis and DeGroat. DeGroat didn't throw that day, don't know why. There was a little bit of mild interest in the new first baseman Matthieu. However, he is only a freshman and the interest was generated by his big, big, big bat. Yayck is healthy. He could have played last year, but would have been limited to DH duties only. It didn't hurt him to hit at all, he just couldn't throw. He chose to have surgery because he thought it would be better for him in the long run. (Great, great kid BTW).
Team speed is about average (the scouts timed almost everyone). And we have some fundamental issues with fielding in the infield.
We should score some runs, we are going to have to have a newcomer or two step up on the mound.
Hopefully we will have a good year. Have a couple of holes to fill yet.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Coach Jackson has already announced that DeGroat is shut down for the fall after pitching summer league.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I went off the interview that was retweeted with damien i believe on the outfield projection. Didnt know about about the other 2 defections i was trying to guess who flameshaw was talking about. My sources arent what they used to be under toman.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think all pitchers should be shut down in the Fall, if they played Summer Ball.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]