This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Flames drop game 2, 7-4. Jackson got ejected for first time this year
I had only live stats the last few innings, so I didn't know about the ejection. By any chance did it have to do with Campbell batters intentionally getting hit by pitches? They were warned about it at the beginning of the series, but it doesn't seem to stop them. They lead the nation in HBP, and have twice as many as any other BSC team.

Jackson still learning on the job as far as being a HC is concerned. Certainly looks like he went one batter too long with Bertsch, and it was the difference in the game with a big power hitter who had already homered up and the bases loaded. I get him wanting to get 5 out of the starter, but sometimes you have to know when enough is enough. Hopefully a tough lesson learned.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:What happened for him to get ejected ?
Usually it involves arguing a call in such a way that the umpire feels he has been disrespected or "shown up". Certain words make ejection automatic, but I doubt that was the case here. Sometimes it's just a matter of complaining too long and they don't want to hear it any more.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
[youtube]WM16afDRbPM[/youtube]
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I was there. He overruled the umpire at second base who called a runner out when his foot left the bag. The runner than proceeded to run backwards around the bag after this, after which the home plate umpire called defensive interference on the second baseman who was trying to tag him again.

That was the first of some really bad calls he made. I'm pretty sure Jackson was just trying to fire up the team though. But he was pretty ticked.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
He was thrown out after a batter was went to first believing he had been hit by a pitch. The HP ump called him back saying he wasn't hit. Campbell coaches complained and the umps got together and changed the ruling prompting Jackson to get livid in the face of the HP ump. On replays you could not tell if it hit him or not. It may have brushed his trousers. Jackson's beef was that the HP ump was in the best position to call it and didn't stand by his first instinct, instead going with umps who were 80 ft away. It was ridiculous. A few batters later the same thing happened and the HP ump immediately gave him 1B. Again didn't look like he was hit on replays. That's the game Campbell plays.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
Liberty beats Campbell this afternoon Sabbath Sunday (Shabat Shalom :D ) 7-1 Final.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=155619

That puts us at 28-17 overall, and 14-7 Big South with 9 regular season games remaining..

How do people predict / think we will finish out?

We have two three game series with VCU and Presby remaining. And we play three singles with Elon, South Carolina, and Duke.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We need to go 7 and 2 or better to be sure of at large. Id guess 6 and 3 though. The elon game is a must win at home since their at 191 in rpi. A loss there would be a killer. South Carolina has not been playing well (lost 6 straight sec series) but we know they are talented. They are 25th in rpi and a road win there would be worth 7 to 10 spots in rpi. Vcu is at 106 right now and 2 of 3 on the road against them would probably move us up 3 to 4. Duke is around 120 so a road win there is probably worth 3 to 4 spots. Presby is around 160 and those games are at home.

So, we need to sweep presby and elon are pretty close to must wins.

Best most realistic scenario would be to bear elon and usc. Take 2 of 3 from vcu and then lose to duke and take 2 of 3 from presby. Obviously o hope we do better but weve played much better on the road and we seem to play up against the power 5 big dogs like usc. We seem to get a little lacadaiscal at home against mediocore teams.

Also we havent played 2 midweek games in succession all year so that could be challenging and deplete the pitching as well. This is a make or break week for the flames this week.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:He was thrown out after a batter was went to first believing he had been hit by a pitch. The HP ump called him back saying he wasn't hit. Campbell coaches complained and the umps got together and changed the ruling prompting Jackson to get livid in the face of the HP ump. On replays you could not tell if it hit him or not. It may have brushed his trousers. Jackson's beef was that the HP ump was in the best position to call it and didn't stand by his first instinct, instead going with umps who were 80 ft away. It was ridiculous. A few batters later the same thing happened and the HP ump immediately gave him 1B. Again didn't look like he was hit on replays. That's the game Campbell plays.

Later in that game one of our players clearly got hit on the elbow but was not given 1st base. I thought our whole team was going to come out of the dugout.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:He was thrown out after a batter was went to first believing he had been hit by a pitch. The HP ump called him back saying he wasn't hit. Campbell coaches complained and the umps got together and changed the ruling prompting Jackson to get livid in the face of the HP ump. On replays you could not tell if it hit him or not. It may have brushed his trousers. Jackson's beef was that the HP ump was in the best position to call it and didn't stand by his first instinct, instead going with umps who were 80 ft away. It was ridiculous. A few batters later the same thing happened and the HP ump immediately gave him 1B. Again didn't look like he was hit on replays. That's the game Campbell plays.

Later in that game one of our players clearly got hit on the elbow but was not given 1st base. I thought our whole team was going to come out of the dugout.
I believe what happened on that play is the batter was hit, but the umpire ruled that he did not make a legitimate attempt to avoid the pitch, which of course is what Campbell hitters have been doing all year to the tune of almost 90 free passes to first base. It's the Ron Hunt approach.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
That's exactly right oldflame. And I thought it was the right call. As it should have been for the Campbell players.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]