This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flame Train is steamrolling the Dukes right now, as the good guys have dropped a 10 spot in the top of the second and lead 10-0 and batting with 2 outs
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We did this to tech last year too. I love smashing jmu every chance we get. That program has really fallen from 2005 to 2010 time frame when they were a 2 seed several times.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They were hitting wiffle bslls tonight...14 runs in just the fourth inning
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Smart call to end it. Baseball needs a mercy rule after 7. Softball has 8 run rule after 5. Baseball should have 10 run rule. No need to wear out pitching staff in a blow out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Smart call to end it. Baseball needs a mercy rule after 7. Softball has 8 run rule after 5. Baseball should have 10 run rule. No need to wear out pitching staff in a blow out.
As long as the rules allow them to do what the did last night and end it after 7 by mutual consent, I see no need for a run rule.
ballcoach15 wrote:Does anyone know why NCAA baseball doesn't have "run rule" ?
I would guess it was fought for at some point. Someone probably argued to let them play. It's not their fault the other team can't compete. Game time is valuable. Slaughter or Mercy rules only rob players of game time.

Purely a guess. I like that they could agree. JMU's coach could have said play on and tried to get his team to find the grit to dig deep and fight back into the game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:What do we think that rout does to the RPI?
I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of RPI, but I don't think margins count a lot. It's mainly about winning, and who you beat. Because JMU has been losing a lot lately, their RPI is down, so I doubt this game will help much.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Because "there's no crying in baseball". :boohoo

The softball run rule could actually be looked at as being a bit sexist when you think about it. It seems to imply that women are not emotionally capable of handling adversity.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

The softball run rule could actually be looked at as being a bit sexist when you think about it. It seems to imply that women are not emotionally capable of handling adversity.
Or that they are smarter and know when enough is enough
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:

Or that they are smarter and know when enough is enough
I would say there might be truth in that if the rule was made by women. It probably wasn't.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Smart call to end it. Baseball needs a mercy rule after 7. Softball has 8 run rule after 5. Baseball should have 10 run rule. No need to wear out pitching staff in a blow out.
As long as the rules allow them to do what the did last night and end it after 7 by mutual consent, I see no need for a run rule.
I agree...stat note: we finished two runs short of our school record for runs in a game (28 in 2007 against Richmond and 1985 against Radford). The way we were swinging we might have broken 30
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
How much you win by doesn't matter in rpi. The fact that it's a road game and a win is what moved us up 3 or 4 spots. A weekend 2 of 3 from Winthrop would put us firmly in the top 55. A sweep would likely get us in the top 47 to 50 range and move us off the 4 seed to the 3 seed line.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA baseball rules are designed to tax pitching staffs as much as possible. This is done to keep teams with 1 or 2 dominant starters from dominating their conference. normally to win championships, a team needs a deep rotation , with good pitchers on back end of rotation.

But if I could change one rule, I would go to 7 inning games for college baseball, instead of 9.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:NCAA baseball rules are designed to tax pitching staffs as much as possible. This is done to keep teams with 1 or 2 dominant starters from dominating their conference. normally to win championships, a team needs a deep rotation , with good pitchers on back end of rotation.

But if I could change one rule, I would go to 7 inning games for college baseball, instead of 9.
Yeah, and while we're at it let's make the diamond smaller and the ball bigger and require pitchers to throw underhand. As far as your conspiracy theory about the NCAA wanting to "tax" pitching staffs .......... :rofl :rofl :rofl

We get it that you like softball, but while there are obvious similarities, baseball is a different sport, and it needs to stay that way.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We outscored JMU 31-2 in the two meetings this year...and I'm trying to find out the record for largest margin of victory too
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]