This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Instant classic pitchers duel going on in Elon...0-0 in the 8th, 5 combined hits
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames win 1-0
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Tarantola with a much needed start going 6+ innings. Hitters continue to struggle though. I'd still like to see Jack Morris get a shot. Super fast, great defense and hit .270 or .280 last year. Not sure what he did to get in the doghouse or if he did but he can help us win especially with so many other guys struggling to hit.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We're not gonna light up the scoreboard every time out jinxy...we have 36 runs through 8 games (4.5 RPG) and a .244 team average. Yeah Id like that to be a bit higher, but I can live with guys who aren't all trying to knock it out of the park every time up.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Look deeper bj. Probably a .165 batting average with runners in scoring position. Also .244 is pretty darn weak. We have hit only once. With no yacyk and artis hobbled i dont think we have the depth to do a lot better.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like I said, I would like that .244 to be higher, most definitely...but I still think that's a byproduct of the new coaches and probably adjusting to a different plate approach for the guys who held over from the previous coach (even though Jackson was on his staff at one point)...if we are hitting below the Mendoza line come game 28, then I can see having a beef. Hopefully Artis gets better soon and you start seeing guys pick up behind Taormina on the offensive side.
Last edited by BJWilliams on March 1st, 2017, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By K-Zone
jinxy wrote:Tarantola with a much needed start going 6+ innings. Hitters continue to struggle though. I'd still like to see Jack Morris get a shot. Super fast, great defense and hit .270 or .280 last year. Not sure what he did to get in the doghouse or if he did but he can help us win especially with so many other guys struggling to hit.
I don't believe Morris is the answer. He has had 2 AB this year... and 2 punch outs. Look at has stat line from a year ago. He hit .257 with 109 AB. What is alarming for a guy with such speed is the following, 33K to only 10 BB (yikes). I consider Yayck and Shepherd to be swing and miss guys with power they both struck out 37 times and walked 19 & 25 times respectfully. However they both had over 235 AB. Morris has shown that he can be over-matched at the plate at times and my guess is that is one reason he is not in the lineup. Bottom line for a guy like Morris is put the ball in play, get on base so you can use your speed. I was hoping he would shorten his swing and be a bookend with Artis but so far doesn't look like that is the case.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
K-Zone wrote:
jinxy wrote:Tarantola with a much needed start going 6+ innings. Hitters continue to struggle though. I'd still like to see Jack Morris get a shot. Super fast, great defense and hit .270 or .280 last year. Not sure what he did to get in the doghouse or if he did but he can help us win especially with so many other guys struggling to hit.
I don't believe Morris is the answer. He has had 2 AB this year... and 2 punch outs. Look at has stat line from a year ago. He hit .257 with 109 AB. What is alarming for a guy with such speed is the following, 33K to only 10 BB (yikes). I consider Yayck and Shepherd to be swing and miss guys with power they both struck out 37 times and walked 19 & 25 times respectfully. However they both had over 235 AB. Morris has shown that he can be over-matched at the plate at times and my guess is that is one reason he is not in the lineup. Bottom line for a guy like Morris is put the ball in play, get on base so you can use your speed. I was hoping he would shorten his swing and be a bookend with Artis but so far doesn't look like that is the case.
After your second sentence, the rest of what you said doesn't matter. Giving up on a guy after 2 AB is asinine.
By K-Zone
Never said giving up on a guy. Said he probably isn't the answer. Listen it is a new staff and they have made it evident that the people playing early on earned a spot to play thru fall ball and early spring practices by performance. Look at Barbee and Caleb Evans for example. Great falls and they have earned their spot. So if you read what I said after my 2nd sentence you would see the bigger picture. Which is Morris's play in the fall and early spring must not have improved much hints the reason he hasn't gotten the playing time early on. THEN the small sample size of 0-2 must mean something more considering Embry and Barbee who are BOTH converted catchers were playing CF & LF respectfully in yesterday's game. I hope you read past my second sentence of this post.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I can understand all of that if there are guys playing ahead of him that are hitting. Take barbee for instance. Morris is clearly a plus defender and better baserunner. So to me for barbee to play ahead of him he better be outhitting him big time. To me that hasnt happened. To be clear, without yacyk we dont have much depth.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]