This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We have a SEC team coming to Lynchburg, yet the News Advance did not have a word about it in today's paper.
probably because its a mid week game. noone even local news sneezed when big teams go to play mid weeks at mid majors unless they win. which after watching UNC film this week, is a tall order. Kentucky played them tough.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The News and Advance is too busy reporting high school sports action. :banghead
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Heading over now!
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The News and Advance is too busy reporting high school sports action. :banghead
I would say the majority of local N&A readers probably are more interested in the local high schools than LU. Also they are the only source available for detailed reporting of the high schools. LU has extensive web coverage and even TV. So, I don't blame them for it covering those more at all. It would be nice however to get at least a brief mention of Liberty's game.
By LUDad
Tough break for Kentucky. They lost 4 game by total of 5 runs. Pitching is looking solid. Nice to look forward to the 9th inning with a short lead for a change.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Good start for the guys. Agree with LUDad, it's reassuring to have someone to shut 'em down in the last inning.

It's great having LFSN coverage. Good job Alan & Matt. Unfortunately, LFSN is dropping the production schedule to a maximum of 9 games this year. (Kentucky, Duke, JMU games and the High Point and Campbell Series). I believe more than 20 games were dropped from last season. If anyone that reads this has some pull with LFSN, let's get some more games for Coach Jackson's inaugural season.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
First time out seeing Jackson & Co.

-Solid win over an improving Kentucky team. They have been a player in the SEC over the last 2-3 years. Their starter could be 1st round type talent in a few years. Lefty throwing low to mid 90's with a wipeout breaking ball and excellent control for a young starter. I would be shocked if he's not in the weekend rotation by mid-year.
-Our pitching is much improved. The talent level is still probably not where we want it to be in the pitching department but the guys we have are getting ahead much more and walking a lot less guys. They seem to be doing an excellent job.
-The end of the bullpen is going to be a real strength. I was skeptical of moving Degroat to closer but he was flat out humming the ball 94-95 and touching 97. It's a easy 97 and in my opinion he's the best power arm i've seen in the program since 2003. His offspeed stuff has improved a bit but if he can get a little better with it he's going to be untouchable. Also Garret Price pitched well and sat 87-90 with a nice breaking ball. Price and Quarterly can bridge Degroat.
-The lineup is going to be really deep when we get Yacyk back and i'm assuming Morris may be hurt as well. Defense was rock solid as well. Artis played an unbelievable CF. You can judge a great outfielder by how well he goes back on the ball and Artis is excellent and going back on the ball. Highfill made an outstanding run saving diving catch. He and Locklear look the part and will be key cogs for the next 3-4 years. Both are true frosh and are still learning but the talent is there. Also have to give Shepherd a shout out. He got the big 2 run single after UK brought a side-armer in to face him with 2 on.
-The key to the season will be the starting pitching. We have plenty of hitting, defense and 3 solid arms at the back end of the bullpen. If the starters can step up the talent level is there for a 40 win season. If not we will be in the 32-34 range is my best guess.

Great win.
By cruzan_flame13
Todays game was the first time watching the Flames play. It was a good game and it is nice that the team has potential. It seem that Jackson is quite good as well. I'm not all informed ehenbit comes to baseball, but I'm trying to get back in it and at the same time support the Flames at all cost. What was disappointing was all those empty seats. I'm not sure if that's common at Flames ball field but I hope more folks will come to these games and support the team. What a game though!!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The weather probably kept many fans away. Lack of parking may have kept some away. Parking was a problem yesterday.

I read that yesterday was first time a SEC has played at LU in any sport.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:Good start for the guys. Agree with LUDad, it's reassuring to have someone to shut 'em down in the last inning.

It's great having LFSN coverage. Good job Alan & Matt. Unfortunately, LFSN is dropping the production schedule to a maximum of 9 games this year. (Kentucky, Duke, JMU games and the High Point and Campbell Series). I believe more than 20 games were dropped from last season. If anyone that reads this has some pull with LFSN, let's get some more games for Coach Jackson's inaugural season.
Wondering if they went light to see what kind of product we would have on the field with the idea of adding on if the team is producing. Series against St. John's could end up being great addition. They are 4-0 right now with a win over Coastal Carolina.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Going FBS must make a difference in concessions: at the baseball game yesterday, I had the BEST hot dog of my life--it was grilled and hung over the bun an inch on each side. And the guy in front of me got nachos with chili AND cheese.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Going FBS must make a difference in concessions: at the baseball game yesterday, I had the BEST hot dog of my life--it was grilled and hung over the bun an inch on each side. And the guy in front of me got nachos with chili AND cheese.
Those hot dogs predate the FBS move. They're huge and tasty (especially with mustard and onions) and I don't even like hot dogs .
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]