This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Someone should do an Office Pool, on what date Roster will be posted.
I can't believe nothing is posted with the first game being played four days from now. Very odd.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Bomberger is one of the best as another poster noted so I'd find it hard to believe he simply forgot.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Well it's 4 days away and nothing is posted. He may want to get on that. Looks very unprofessional Especially when other SIDs and fans come and try to look up info on the team
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Well it's 4 days away and nothing is posted. He may want to get on that. Looks very unprofessional Especially when other SIDs and fans come and try to look up info on the team
Yeah, let's go ahead and nip this in the bud, why don't we? It's one thing to try and figure out who is responsible for posting the roster on the website when you don't know anything about anything, it's a whole other thing to start calling one of the most respected SIDs in NCAA baseball "unprofessional". That kind of a comment shows how uninformed you are about the topic at hand.

The SIDs - Bombs - cannot post a roster until it is provided to him/them by the coaching staff. Also, for your educational purposes, NCAA rules state the SID does not have to post a roster until the day before the first game of the season - even if the SID does have it from the staff- so Bombs has until Feb. 16 to put up the roster - again, once he has it. Lastly, no SID is questioning Liberty in this regard because everyone in the NCAA, and anyone who knows anything about this NCAA policy, knows there is no rush.

In summation, let's try and stay away from calling Ryan Bomberger "unprofessional" - I still cannot get over that - for doing an exceptional job.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
yall this happens all the time. Rosters don't get posted until (sometimes) the day of opening day. wanna know why? most coaches carry more than the 35 (which is legal) up until the first game because they may have some injury,eligibility, etc issues that need to be figured out and can't cut the guys they need to until those issues are solved. I have one more on my roster here that needs to be cut which means we won't post our roster(a P5 school) until probably friday. its not a huge issue.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
The huge issue is the uninformed people on this board that are posting nonsensical statements about people they don't know and jobs they don't understand.

But I know what you are saying and you are correct. I do not understand why people cannot be patient about a roster release.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:The huge issue is the uninformed people on this board that are posting nonsensical statements about people they don't know and jobs they don't understand.

But I know what you are saying and you are correct. I do not understand why people cannot be patient about a roster release.
I've wondered that myself pretty. Todd, Bomberger and the gang are not Joe Blows doing this as a side gig. These are full timers working well over 40 hours a week in AND out of season getting their information so all of us keyboard jockeys can see it on the site.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Beej, your post confirms how ill informed you and others are on this board. You were one of the first people to ask why Bombs hadn't released the schedule yet. Even using the term "Joe Blows" is incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful to their roles within the department.

The SIDs are not simply "full timers", which proves you don't know what you're talking about. Todd, Bomberger and the others will work 60-90 hour weeks. To insinuate they are "full timers" is an insult. They are far more than that and deserve far more respect than this board is showing.

I'll step away because I'm too close to the situation, but let's try and not be ignorant fans all the time, okay?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Beej, your post confirms how ill informed you and others are on this board. You were one of the first people to ask why Bombs hadn't released the schedule yet. Even using the term "Joe Blows" is incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful to their roles within the department.

The SIDs are not simply "full timers", which proves you don't know what you're talking about. Todd, Bomberger and the others will work 60-90 hour weeks. To insinuate they are "full timers" is an insult. They are far more than that and deserve far more respect than this board is showing.

I'll step away because I'm too close to the situation, but let's try and not be ignorant fans all the time, okay?
Maybe you are too close to the situation. Your condescending tone isn't necessary.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I also would like to add that to was not saying what you think I said. These guys have to juggle two and in some cases three teams, travel all over the country, and on the occasions they don't travel they are up well into the night making sure they have a recap done before the sun comes up and they have to get ready for their next game. They have to exhaustively research each and every player in their respective roster to ensure that they have accurate and meaningful information for their bios, prepare detailed notes not only for themselves but for the opponents as well as any associated media in many cases...they are, outside of the teams themselves, the first to arrive at the arena or field and probably the last to leave...and they are the only people at a game outside of the team itself that cannot miss a single play in order to make sure their statistics are 100% accurate...I probably could go on but I'll leave it at that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:Beej, your post confirms how ill informed you and others are on this board. You were one of the first people to ask why Bombs hadn't released the schedule yet. Even using the term "Joe Blows" is incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful to their roles within the department.

Maybe you are too close to the situation. Your condescending tone isn't necessary.
Condescension is his schtick
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

Condescension is his schtick
Whoa whoa whoa... since when?? Are many of my posts steeped in sarcasm? Sure. Condescension? Hardly.

My post to Beej was not intended to be condescending in the slightest bit.
Last edited by LUnpretty11 on February 15th, 2017, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I also would like to add that to was not saying what you think I said. These guys have to juggle two and in some cases three teams, travel all over the country, and on the occasions they don't travel they are up well into the night making sure they have a recap done before the sun comes up and they have to get ready for their next game. They have to exhaustively research each and every player in their respective roster to ensure that they have accurate and meaningful information for their bios, prepare detailed notes not only for themselves but for the opponents as well as any associated media in many cases...they are, outside of the teams themselves, the first to arrive at the arena or field and probably the last to leave...and they are the only people at a game outside of the team itself that cannot miss a single play in order to make sure their statistics are 100% accurate...I probably could go on but I'll leave it at that.
Very well said and incredibly accurate.

So... Roster is up!
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&TeamID=1
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
3 immediate questions come to mind. We carry 6 catchers and just 3 outfielders well 4 if you count yacyk who is below average defensively. Also no livingston morris?? I can't see any reason to carry more than 4 catchers max.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Lots of times catchers get moved to other positions, specifically left field. I have to assume that's the plan. Otherwise, this roster is insane.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Looks like DeGroat is the closer and Locklear and Highfill are on the left side of the infield. Close and Roberts, outfielders not on roster!
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
7 catchers means extra position players get the opportunity to share the bullpen duties. Two years ago, I watched LSU go through a pitching workout in RF about an hour before a game against Arkansas in Fayetteville. There were 8 or 9 pitchers and each had a catching partner in full gear.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You dont need them all on the active roster to do that. Not a fan of that and not a fan of having degroat close. I think he will be fine there but that guy was the ace we needed. I dont see anybody else that can be the front line friday starter. Ill be interested to see how this all plays out. This staff is all in new roles so there will
Be growing pains im sure. We have left no depth in the outfield if we run into injury or slumps. Granted artis morris and shepherd if healthy and performing like last year wouldnt come out a lot anyway.

I would guess we will trot out some combination of bertsch mitchell clouse and the juco soft tossing lefty as our 4 starters. I would also assume evans and quarterly are setting up degroat.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
All I'll say is this is Jackson's team now and he has a different philosophy than Coach Toman (what's he doing now anyway) so I'm gonna trust him just like Toman (although he made me want to pull my hair out sometimes) and I would hope we as Flames Nation do the same
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:All I'll say is this is Jackson's team now and he has a different philosophy than Coach Toman (what's he doing now anyway) so I'm gonna trust him just like Toman (although he made me want to pull my hair out sometimes) and I would hope we as Flames Nation do the same
Agreed. I would temper expectations the first two years as he is re-building the program. If he has success, great. If not, that's part of the process.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You guys can say that all you want but we do have a new ad and I highly doubt he would accept a total rebuild with the returning talent we have. Toman would have won 32 to 35 with this group as he pretty much did that last year and we didn't lose a ton of production outside of britt. Cole was hurt mid year and never returned and bean and Herndon never got on track. Offensively we bring back about as much as have at any point in the last decade. Artis Shepherd yacyk are all proven 1st team all conference caliber hitters. Morris could grow into that after a solid frosh season and locklear has impressed me from the get go. In addition you have several catchers coming back with experience. As always it will come to pitching and based off nicks tweet he's totally turned our staff upside down. Degroat is closing and Grabowski Bertsch and Caleb Evans are projected starters. It's almost like he has flipped all the roles of starters and relievers for half the staff. Time will tell if that's a good move or not especially for degroat. I do get it with Bertsch coming off tj surgery, relieving is difficult and the starting routine is much better for that.

Bottom line is this 30 wins should be the floor this year when factoring in talent and schedule in my opinion. Less would be disappointing and more would be a good sign.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]