This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By southern_flames88
Good luck to Coach Jackson. Hope he can guide the Flames back to the "character" that the program was built on. Felt pretty sure that JB would go after someone with head coaching experience but I guess he decided otherwise. Will be interesting to see who he hires as his assistants. Curious if there will be any link to Liberty past.....
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Not really excited about this hire. I believe we could have done better. In any event, I know that my opinion doesn't count as much as those who are making the hire. I will just have to trust that they made the correct decision. They have a pretty good track record. I have hired a lot of people, some surprise you being better than you would think and some do worse.
Go Flames.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I like that he has a year of LU under his belt before he arrives. Hopefully that helps him adjust to the Liberty experience easier than most outsiders. That could have made a significant difference with Coach Toman in the early stages IMHO.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I like that a) JB didn't rush this hire or b) just look for a big splashy name. I'm curious who he brings in as well to assist but I don't think that the LU connection will be a main factor. Would be great to have but if he can bridge the gap, while still bringing on assistants who can develop talent in all aspects we will do well
Last edited by BJWilliams on July 17th, 2016, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
He has crazy eyes. Not sure if that has anything to do with coaching. Just an observation.
By Jonathan Carone
This description of Jackson is from a friend of mine who played for him for a year:
You will like Scott. I nicknamed him the General in '08. He was all business. Organized, always had a plan, worked to develop every arm on the roster because he truly believed we were going to need somebody unexpected at an unexpected time. Thought if we had 12 guys every guy had a spot where they could help.

He's a Christian, but he's real. This sounds horrible, but there's not that phony LU bubble thing. You can believe his walk, but you can also believe he's not faking it. I liked that about him.

Understands his guys. He knew there were days when we didn't have the juice or were just worn down from shagging balls during JT's never ending BPs. So what did we do to condition? Here's a football boys, chuck it around for 40 minutes and get a workout in. Just little stuff like that.

But even as the pitching coach he had his hands in the whole game. Guy played 7 positions in college and has coached hitters and pitchers. He sees everything.

Personally, I thought he was a better pitching coach than Tomlin. At least for the college level. He's all about simplifying the game. Do what you do and we'll build from there.

You know I like him, and this is a lovefest but I was just so impressed with him playing for him that year. We struck out 500 guys with really not a lot of arm talent. Maybe 3 guys that got 90ish consistently. 

I wasn't very good. I flailed around for 3 years trying to get things together then all of a sudden in year 4 I remember how to do this. I give him all the credit for that. He looked at me, gave me a blank slate, found my strengths and weaknesses and basically said forget your weaknesses we're building your strengths and we'll see if you can't help the ball club. That's what you want. You want to play for that guy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Key to this is hiring a good pitching coach.
He has one already His name is Scott Jackson He may choose to hire a pitching coach and assign himself other duties, but either way I think it's safe to say we have upgraded in that area 8)
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Key to this is hiring a good pitching coach.
He has one already His name is Scott Jackson He may choose to hire a pitching coach and assign himself other duties, but either way I think it's safe to say we have upgraded in that area 8)
I know he has experience as a pitching coach, but he wasn't the pitching coach at Carolina. He mainly worked with the offense and infielders.
By youngflamer
I do think Jackson was the best listed on Flamefans, but there were others who with college head coaching experience with Liberty connections that Barber didn't even interview.
Barber seems to recruit coaches in circles.
Basketball: Fires the coach his first year here then hires McKay as head coach who hires Layer as assistant coach, then Layer leaves LU for another school. Mckay leaves as head coach for another school, he then rehires Layer as the head coach. He then fires Layer and then rehires McKay as the head coach. None of these coaches had prior connections with LU.
Baseball: Fires the head coach his first year here then hires Toman from South Carolina, where he was from. Toman hires Jackson as an assistant and he stays only one year and moved on. He fires Toman then hires Jackson to take his place. Jackson also had no connection with LU.
Why would you rehire someone who leaves your school for somewhere else, having no loyalty to Liberty. I don't believe Dr. Falwell would do it. I believe if he were alive he would have let Barber go when he applied for the AD job at East Carolina.
Football : Ran off the best coach the school has ever had in Danny Rocco. Hires a coach who was fired from his previous job.
To me, Barber himself does not have the Liberty loyalty and philosophy, therefore he hires people like himself, no loyalty to Liberty.
I say once again we will never reach our potential as long as Barber is the AD. One championship each in football, basketball and baseball in his eleven years at LU.
By Jonathan Carone
youngflamer wrote:there were others who were college head coaches with Liberty connections that Barber didn't even interview.
You guys keep saying this but don't post any names. I've been trying to rack my brain for who you could be talking about and I honestly can't make the connection.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's the thing...its one thing to be a college coach with Liberty connections...its another to be a D1 college coach with Liberty connections...and the only one who would fit that description is Graham Sykes...so if you have a list that apparently not even the guy making the hire knew about youngflamer...Id love to see some names as well, especially since the decision has already been made
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:I do think Jackson was the best listed on Flamefans, but there were others who with college head coaching experience with Liberty connections that Barber didn't even interview.
Barber seems to recruit coaches in circles.
Basketball: Fires the coach his first year here then hires McKay as head coach who hires Layer as assistant coach, then Layer leaves LU for another school. Mckay leaves as head coach for another school, he then rehires Layer as the head coach. He then fires Layer and then rehires McKay as the head coach. None of these coaches had prior connections with LU.
Baseball: Fires the head coach his first year here then hires Toman from South Carolina, where he was from. Toman hires Jackson as an assistant and he stays only one year and moved on. He fires Toman then hires Jackson to take his place. Jackson also had no connection with LU.
Why would you rehire someone who leaves your school for somewhere else, having no loyalty to Liberty. I don't believe Dr. Falwell would do it. I believe if he were alive he would have let Barber go when he applied for the AD job at East Carolina.
Football : Ran off the best coach the school has ever had in Danny Rocco. Hires a coach who was fired from his previous job.
To me, Barber himself does not have the Liberty loyalty and philosophy, therefore he hires people like himself, no loyalty to Liberty.
I say once again we will never reach our potential as long as Barber is the AD. One championship each in football, basketball and baseball in his eleven years at LU.
But yet he did
He would also promise people HC jobs then not deliver.
So......you might want to rethink that line of argument
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Do people forget how badly the athletic department was ran when Jerry Sr unofficially was the athletic director? I loved the man but let's not give him too much credit for the athletic department. He was beginning to realize towards the end it was better to let others run athletics.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Fantastic hire. I am a big proponent of bringing on assistants who come from top tier programs. They know what a winning culture looks like and what it feels like to get to Omaha. We need someone like that to get us there. I was a big fan of Jackson or a non-coach from the big leagues (DR parallel), so this is a big time hire for us.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The only hire barber really goofed was layer. That was obvious from day 1 and so was the the extension. Rocco only won 1 or 2 big games when he was here. We may lost some duds but I sure did enjoy bea ting app state ga state jmu Montana etc. Not saying he's the right guy but rocco never could get it done.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]