This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
youngflamer wrote:there were others who were college head coaches with Liberty connections that Barber didn't even interview.
You guys keep saying this but don't post any names. I've been trying to rack my brain for who you could be talking about and I honestly can't make the connection.
I'd first off like to hear how they define "Liberty connections" If that is confined to alumni, I am not aware of any either

At this point, there is no reason a list of college head coaches with "connections" could not be posted as just that, with no implication that any of them applied for or were interested in the now filled HC position I'd like to see it

I have always liked the idea of our athletic teams maintaining a relationship with our past, but I think the idea that simply being an alum means a coach will care more or work harder is bunk If you look at all the sports at Liberty, you see varying degrees of alumni representation on the coaching staffs with equally varying results
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have 3 head coaches in our athletic program who are Liberty alumni

Jeff Thomas Golf
Jeff Alder Men'sSoccer
Chris Johnson Men's Tennis

The entire staff of our Men's Soccer team are Liberty grads Results there have been mixed at best and seem to be trending down

By contrast, the 2 most successful coaches we have, Tolsma and Green, had no significant prior connection to the school before coming to coach It would be hard to find anyone who represents the school and it's mission better of cares more about leading their team to success for the glory of God Both have assistants who are alumni, in the case of Tolsma, several
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:The only hire barber really goofed was layer. That was obvious from day 1 and so was the the extension. Rocco only won 1 or 2 big games when he was here. We may lost some duds but I sure did enjoy bea ting app state ga state jmu Montana etc. Not saying he's the right guy but rocco never could get it done.
Layer was a "comfort food" hire Like mac and cheese or mashed potatoes He was a familiar face who fit the culture and as silly as it sounds, the fact that he still had a house in Lynchburg he hadn't sold yet from when he left for Marquette a year earlier was a factor

The extension, or more specifically the LENGTH of the extension, was JB's biggest mistake to date Yeah, we have $$$, but still need to be good stewards of those resources giving 4 years under those circumstances was inexcusible, and we are still paying and will be for 2 more years unless DL gets a job that pays as much as he was making for LU (which is highly unlikely)
By youngflamer
Jonathan Carone wrote:
youngflamer wrote:there were others who were college head coaches with Liberty connections that Barber didn't even interview.
You guys keep saying this but don't post any names. I've been trying to rack my brain for who you could be talking about and I honestly can't make the connection.
Because the hire has already been made I will not divulge any names, but I know of one former Div. 1 head coach with 12 years experience, who played at Liberty in the 80's, who contacted JB by email. Jeff told him they had enough applicants and would not be interested in talking to him. I believe Barber interviewed some LU grads just to say they were included in the process. Other alums I have talked with believe that Barber wants to hire his own man. That's been my problem with him and his choices. First, we need men who have a daily walk with God: "NO BIBLE, NO BREAKFAST; NO READ, NO FEED". Second set a godly example on and off the field. Third, know how to build a winner Division 1 program.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Because the hire has already been made I will not divulge any names, but I know of one former Div. 1 head coach with 12 years experience, who played at Liberty in the 80's, who contacted JB by email. Jeff told him they had enough applicants and would not be interested in talking to him. I believe Barber interviewed some LU grads just to say they were included in the process. Other alums I have talked with believe that Barber wants to hire his own man. That's been my problem with him and his choices. First, we need men who have a daily walk with God: "NO BIBLE, NO BREAKFAST; NO READ, NO FEED". Second set a godly example on and off the field. Third, know how to build a winner Division 1 program.
There is a big difference between a candidate who is a coach and one who is a former coach Classic example Randy Dunton The "former" is usually not a result of stellar results, and then you need to look at how LONG has he been a "former" coach

As far as the faith aspects are concerned, I will refer you back to the 2 coaches I mentioned earlier Carey Green and Brant Tolsma, who had no connection with Liberty whatsoever before coming here, but exemplify what you are talking about, while a former LBC baseball player and highly successful major college coach was not even considered because he is NOT that kind of Godly man

Jeff Meyer
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sigh...sometimes I can't win for losing...

I like how JB handled this one as I said before. I also don't think he is simply recycling coaches either by bringing back Jackson or Coach McKay. Jackson is young enough that hopefully he can be around for a good long while and establish a consistent winner and experienced enough to not only know what it will take for us to get there, but also has been there himself.

I just wish I could be in Lynchburg for the introductory presser
Last edited by BJWilliams on July 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:I can't speak to Coach Jackson's relationship with God (Jon probably could have better insight though) personally, but to cast that kind of assumption is at best ill advised on your part.

Also, as Jon said, you kept throwing out that there were college coaches with Liberty connections that JB didn't interview...did they submit their resumes for consideration? Also, to this LU alum who was a D1 head coach...why did he email him? Did he submit his resume as well?

Olldflame has a point in saying that there is a difference between being a D1 coach and a former D1 coach. This person you referred to, what kind of credentials did he have? Was he a successful head coach at the D1 program he coached? What kind of player development results did he have? Also, as olldflame alluded to, how long ago did his tenure end? If this guy is as good as you purport he is, then finding another D1 job as an assistant or a HC should not be an issue.

There is always more to a story YF, so I would be very careful casting some of the assumptions you are about how JB handled this process
Why did you just repeat the same things already said above but in a snarkier tone?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My tone was not intended to be snarky Jon...anyway, I took my comments out (although you did quote them). Im hoping I can meet him and check out the 2017 Flames on my trip for Homecoming in October (if Im not in the area already)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think Jackson is a good hire. I think JB is a good AD, one of the best in the Mid major ranks of NCAA, if not the best. Jeff can only hire the coaches. Then they have to recruit and make game day "calls". As I have posted before, we are only about 2 good recruits away from being where we should be in every sport. I think LU is fortunate to have JB as AD.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Sigh...sometimes I can't win for losing...

I like how JB handled this one as I said before. I also don't think he is simply recycling coaches either by bringing back Jackson or Coach McKay. Jackson is young enough that hopefully he can be around for a good long while and establish a consistent winner and experienced enough to not only know what it will take for us to get there, but also has been there himself.

I just wish I could be in Lynchburg for the introductory presser
I was unaware you were competing
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My tone was not intended to be snarky Jon...anyway, I took my comments out (although you did quote them). Im hoping I can meet him and check out the 2017 Flames on my trip for Homecoming in October (if Im not in the area already)
Why did you edit it if it has already been quoted? Seems pointless to me.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In case you missed it, ballcoach and others, there is a 4:00 press conference TODAY at LU's baseball stadium to welcome Coach Jackson. It will also be steamed live, if you live out of town.
Liberty will hold a welcoming press conference for Jackson on Monday at 4 p.m. in the Liberty Baseball Stadium Team Room. The event is free and open to the general public and will be streamed live through the Big South Network and the Liberty Flames Athletics Facebook page.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ball coach, walk in front of podium and give a salute to all of your flamesnation buddies.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Ball coach, walk in front of podium and give a salute to all of your flamesnation buddies.
I wish I could be watching when that happens.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I love this guy.
"I want assistants who have played in Omaha and who have coached in Omaha" Yup
Well, we know what that rules out lol

What!!! When did we get rid of the "I chortle audibly" thingie
By Jonathan Carone
It's just a press conference but it was a good one. He said the right things, has the energy we need, and makes me want to pay more attention to Liberty baseball.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]