This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's just a press conference but it was a good one. He said the right things, has the energy we need, and makes me want to pay more attention to Liberty baseball.
So, we can tell BJ we "won the press conference" I agree on the energy level, which was definately not a strength of Toman's I often wondered how he was such an effective recruiter because he came across pretty boring
By youngflamer
Jonathan Carone wrote:Can you say Scott Jackson doesn't fit that bill?
No, I even said that of those being mentioned on this blog he was probably the best choice. I do hope he builds a successful
program here. I just stated that there was some who attended LU that I believe would do a job as well but were not interviewed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:My tone was not intended to be snarky Jon...anyway, I took my comments out (although you did quote them). Im hoping I can meet him and check out the 2017 Flames on my trip for Homecoming in October (if Im not in the area already)
Why did you edit it if it has already been quoted? Seems pointless to me.
Post totals
By youngflamer
olldflame wrote:We have 3 head coaches in our athletic program who are Liberty alumni

Jeff Thomas Golf
Jeff Alder Men'sSoccer
Chris Johnson Men's Tennis

The entire staff of our Men's Soccer team are Liberty grads Results there have been mixed at best and seem to be trending down

By contrast, the 2 most successful coaches we have, Tolsma and Green, had no significant prior connection to the school before coming to coach It would be hard to find anyone who represents the school and it's mission better of cares more about leading their team to success for the glory of God Both have assistants who are alumni, in the case of Tolsma, several
You make my point when you mention Tolsma and Green because they were hired before Barber got the job. Surely they were the best qualified for the positions. I don't think the new hires necessarily have to be LU grads, but I do believe it is important to have a strong Christian walk. In my opinion Barber has not made good choices in hiring head coaches in his 11 years on the job. He never gave the baseball and basketball coaches, who were here when he came, the benefit of the doubt. He has destroyed the basketball program that was on the rise when he came.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You've now lost all credibility with that last post.
It's not the first time he has posted stuff like that He is part of RD's cult following

Jeff Meyer
By youngflamer
There is a big difference between a candidate who is a coach and one who is a former coach Classic example Randy Dunton The "former" is usually not a result of stellar results, and then you need to look at how LONG has he been a "former" coach

As far as the faith aspects are concerned, I will refer you back to the 2 coaches I mentioned earlier Carey Green and Brant Tolsma, who had no connection with Liberty whatsoever before coming here, but exemplify what you are talking about, while a former LBC baseball player and highly successful major college coach was not even considered because he is NOT that kind of Godly man

Jeff Meyer[/quote]

I personally think Dunton was a good coach. Remember he was coaching here when Greg Marshall was at Winthrop and Birmingham Southern was in the league then and had a strong program as well. Plus VMI had at the Williams kid who went on to play in the NBA. The BSC was as strong during Dunton's years as it has been in its history. He certainly didn't quit on the team a few weeks before the season started nor would he have told Virginia Tech he had been forced out by the assistant coach like you did.
By Baldspot1
I was at Liberty for most of the 80s and I can't think of anyone from that era that went on to be a D1 head coach with 12 years experience. Let alone have the type of success to compete with Jackson's candidacy. Maybe it's just my memory isn't what it used to be but I'm racking my brain and can't come up with anyone. Delmonico graduated in 1980 so I wouldn't consider him as a player from "the 80s." Randy Tomlin is a high school coach. That's too much of a jump. Who am I missing.
Last edited by Baldspot1 on July 18th, 2016, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I am not going to respond to youngflamer's comments here in a thread to celebrate the hiring of our new baseball coach

I liked the hire when it was announced, and even more so now that I have heard him
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot1 wrote:I was at Liberty for most of the 80s and I can't think of anyone from that era that went on to be a D1 head coach with 12 years experience. Let alone have the type of success to compete with Jackson's candidacy. Maybe it's just my memory isn't what it used to be but I'm racking my brain and can't come up with anyone. Delmonico graduated in 1980 so I wouldn't consider him as a player from "the 80s." Randy Tomlin is a high school coach. That's too much of a jump. Who am I missing.
I can't either If he is talking about Delmonico, he is oblivious to the elephant in the room Rod went to Liberty, but he is definately not a "Liberty guy"
By youngflamer
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:You've now lost all credibility with that last post.
It's not the first time he has posted stuff like that He is part of RD's cult following

Jeff Meyer
So Mr. Meyer when someone likes a coach who did a good job and didn't quit on his team, he's a cultist. Most
name calling I hear is from people who can't handle the truth.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have been critical of Jeff barber many times but he has been here for 11 years now. When will he be viewed as a 'liberty guy'? He has been more loyal to liberty than people want to give him credit for.

I don't get it and never will.
By Jonathan Carone
Jeff is about as much of a Liberty guy as you can get at this point. He's made one truly bad decision (the length of Layer's extension) in 11 years. We haven't had the success I've wanted to see but I also know he's frustrated by some of it as well. He may not be the best AD in the world, but he's the right AD for the uniqueness of Liberty.
By mtaylor22
adam42381 wrote:He has crazy eyes. Not sure if that has anything to do with coaching. Just an observation.
I noticed the same thing. Reminded me of Rocco :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach Jackson reminded me a lot of Rocco with his intensity--and even his haircut. If my math is right, he's about 40 years old, and his wife is from the Rustburg area. In fact, TF played high school baseball with Coach Jackson's father-in-law, and he even brought his high school team picture to the press conference.

Here's the News & Advance article on the press conference: http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... 30aa4.html
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 18th, 2016, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:There is a big difference between a candidate who is a coach and one who is a former coach Classic example Randy Dunton The "former" is usually not a result of stellar results, and then you need to look at how LONG has he been a "former" coach

As far as the faith aspects are concerned, I will refer you back to the 2 coaches I mentioned earlier Carey Green and Brant Tolsma, who had no connection with Liberty whatsoever before coming here, but exemplify what you are talking about, while a former LBC baseball player and highly successful major college coach was not even considered because he is NOT that kind of Godly man

Jeff Meyer
I personally think Dunton was a good coach. Remember he was coaching here when Greg Marshall was at Winthrop and Birmingham Southern was in the league then and had a strong program as well. Plus VMI had at the Williams kid who went on to play in the NBA. The BSC was as strong during Dunton's years as it has been in its history. He certainly didn't quit on the team a few weeks before the season started nor would he have told Virginia Tech he had been forced out by the assistant coach like you did.[/quote]
Jeff Meyer
And what do any of that have to do with the new baseball coach :dontgetit :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Lol. Here we go with dunton again. Instant loss of credibility
Jeff Meyer. C'mon
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Coach Jackson reminded me a lot of Rocco with his intensity--and even his haircut. If my math is right, he's about 40 years old, and his wife is from the Rustburg area. In fact, TF played high school baseball with Coach Jackson's father-in-law, and he even bought his high school team picture to the press conference.
How much did he pay for it? :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I love how he said something to the effect of he wanted the guys to "get comfortable being uncomfortable". Sounds like he doesn't want anybody to feel like they can just slide by at their position
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Even better...

We were very inconsistent in those situations where we needed a key hit, or a key out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I love how he said something to the effect of he wanted the guys to "get comfortable being uncomfortable". Sounds like he doesn't want anybody to feel like they can just slide by at their position
I hate that saying because it can be too easily misinterpreted
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That's not what that saying means, Beej. It means being comfortable in high pressure situations that's are naturally uncomfortable.
Does it?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]