This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:There's more to it than just that but it's definitely not what BeeJay said.
That's just it. Not to a lot of people. I cringe when I hear Supervisors say that. Usually it means we are going to focus on what you do bad and ignore what you do well. Not sure that's what he meant but that is usually what it means. I usually say 'A fish would be uncomfortable climbing a tree but awesome in the water. Sometimes being comfortable is good'
Put me in a pressure situation where I can use my strengths to succeed? Rock on baby. Put me somewhere I'm not comfortable and not where my strengths can excel you limit my opportunity to succeed
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
WHile not the proper way to interpret that phrase, my thought was that I want to see healthy competition at each position. Don't just keep a guy as the starter at a spot like say, catcher, just because he is an upperclassman or something. If a guy knows there is somebody nipping at his heels for his spot in the lineup, hopefully itll push him to do better.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you read the quote from the former player you'll see Jackson is all about maximizing strengths.
I would hope so. My criticism was directed towards the phrase not towards him. I don't know the guy at all. I just don't care much for that saying. It 'sounds' good but in reality it is not very motivating
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I want to apologize for the part I played in getting this thread off topic I know we don't do it much around here, but I think this is a case where it may be appropriate for admin to go back and do some "cleaning up" Coach Jackson deserves better
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, with Jackson wanting assistants who have either played or coached in the the CWS, are there any "Liberty guys" who would qualify I can't think of any
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I can't think of any either...that might not sit well with some who are hoping to have a "connection to the past" on the staff, but I do think that having people who have "been to the promised land" and know what it will take to get there is a very good thing
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I rather have someone who has been to Omaha, than someone who has not. Jackson coached at Liberty one season, went to Omaha 3 times, and his wife is from Rustburg. That's good enough for me.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's just a press conference but it was a good one. He said the right things, has the energy we need, and makes me want to pay more attention to Liberty baseball.
Exactly.
By Jonathan Carone
To me, Jackson is a Liberty guy. He doesn't have a degree from here but he's been on staff and understands the school culture. If he keeps on some other staff members (volunteer assistant, DBO) then there'll be a couple other guys that get the school. That's plenty for me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Looks like both have been to Omaha very recently...I like.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I want to comment on so many things in this thread.
1. I met Jackson when we played at UNC this year. Good dude, but I'm glad we won't have to play against him unless LU makes it to a regional with us somehow he's pretty good at stealing signs.
2. For the love of all that is holy we are 3 count them 3 basketball coaching changes removed from RD(Jeff Meyer, your welcome PH) how is this still an issue.? I get people were bitter but good night guys get over it.
3. Personally i think this is a great hire. and the assistants look good as well.
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
If I was a returning player or an incoming Frosh I'd be pretty excited about the new Coaching staff.

That said I am truly sorry to see Coaches Quinn and Murray (and Toman) lose their jobs. They are good men who represented the school well and were well liked by the players. I hope they both land on their feet and are able to do what they do best.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:I want to comment on so many things in this thread.
1. I met Jackson when we played at UNC this year. Good dude, but I'm glad we won't have to play against him unless LU makes it to a regional with us somehow he's pretty good at stealing signs.
2. For the love of all that is holy we are 3 count them 3 basketball coaching changes removed from RD(Jeff Meyer, your welcome PH) how is this still an issue.? I get people were bitter but good night guys get over it.
3. Personally i think this is a great hire. and the assistants look good as well.
Point 2 all day long. I don't get it.
By youngflamer
Purple Haize wrote:
youngflamer wrote:There is a big difference between a candidate who is a coach and one who is a former coach Classic example Randy Dunton The "former" is usually not a result of stellar results, and then you need to look at how LONG has he been a "former" coach

As far as the faith aspects are concerned, I will refer you back to the 2 coaches I mentioned earlier Carey Green and Brant Tolsma, who had no connection with Liberty whatsoever before coming here, but exemplify what you are talking about, while a former LBC baseball player and highly successful major college coach was not even considered because he is NOT that kind of Godly man

Jeff Meyer
I personally think Dunton was a good coach. Remember he was coaching here when Greg Marshall was at Winthrop and Birmingham Southern was in the league then and had a strong program as well. Plus VMI had at the Williams kid who went on to play in the NBA. The BSC was as strong during Dunton's years as it has been in its history. He certainly didn't quit on the team a few weeks before the season started nor would he have told Virginia Tech he had been forced out by the assistant coach like you did.
Jeff Meyer
And what do any of that have to do with the new baseball coach :dontgetit :dontgetit[/quote]

Nothing. I like the hire just think Barber should have interviewed all coaches who have LU connections. When Meyer brings up Randy Dunton and makes a derogatory remark about him, I will defend him. I was here in the 90's and know what went down.
By youngflamer
I like the hire as well. When Meyer brings up Randy Dunton and makes a derogatory remark about him, I will defend him. I was here in the 90's and know what went down.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's the thing with that YF and I say this with all due respect...its one thing to interview coaches that have LU connections, but what's the point if they don't fit what he is looking for at this moment in time? Why go all "Rooney Rule" and interview somebody that you know won't fit what youre looking for just because they happen to have "Liberty University" on their diploma (or on their resume if they didn't graduate from the mountain)?

Honest question: If you were the AD for Liberty, and you had two resumes come across your desk, one from an LU alum who might not have the experience or credentials and the other from a coach who has 10-12 years experience as a top level assistant or head coach but might not have a prior connection to Liberty, which would you be more likely to interview?
Last edited by BJWilliams on July 19th, 2016, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
youngflamer wrote:
I like the hire as well. When Meyer brings up Randy Dunton and makes a derogatory remark about him, I will defend him. I was here in the 90's and know what went down.
I thought you were joking the first time but it's obvious you don't get the joke:

olldflame is not Jeff Meyer. However, there's a rule on the board that anytime Randy is brought up, someone has to comment about Jeff.

Lastly, just because someone is an alum and is qualified does not mean they are worthy of an interview. They may not fit what the current administration wants to do and, in that case, there's nothing that can be done but complain on a message board. There's also nothing wrong with that. The fact Jeff interviewed some of the alumni that he did is a testament that he's more willing to reach out than most.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
youngflamer wrote:
I thought you were joking the first time but it's obvious you don't get the joke:

olldflame is not Jeff Meyer. However, there's a rule on the board that anytime Randy is brought up, someone has to comment about Jeff.

Lastly, just because someone is an alum and is qualified does not mean they are worthy of an interview. They may not fit what the current administration wants to do and, in that case, there's nothing that can be done but complain on a message board. There's also nothing wrong with that. The fact Jeff interviewed some of the alumni that he did is a testament that he's more willing to reach out than most.
Which is why I dub him "He Who Shall Not Be Named"...anyway, Jon's right...JB Im sure had no problem interviewing some of the alumni, but just because they were alumni didn't mean they got front of the line or top of the pile privileges
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This is going to be a really young staff, but with an impressive amount of winning experience at the highest level of college baseball Should be extremely high energy

As a follow up to flamesfilmguy's comment on how good Jackson was at stealing signs for UNC, I may be wrong, but something tells me Toman didn't devote a lot of energy to things like that

I'm going to take a stab and say Gaines will probably be our pitching coach, with Jackson coaching the hitters and Cannon spending a lot of time with the infielders (especially Locklear, our new shortstop) I suspect Jackson will coordinate recruiting himself for at least a year or 2

I can only "chortle audibly" at youngflamer thinking I was JM due to my self-policing of "the rule" Wish I had his paycheck though 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Wait, you mean olldflame really is NOT JM??? :rofl
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]