This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Im happy for them. I was cheering them on ever since my guys (who were the only team to sweep coastal) were knocked out of regionals. It's good for the mid majors and good for the conference. Anyone who says anything less has a case of jealousy.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Also having worked directly with Gilmore and their staff while they were here in Atlanta, those guys you can't hate. They were a classy bunch. And I couldn't help but enjoy working with them. Even after they found out I was a Liberty guy. Lol
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Congrats to Gilmore, his staff and players You could see an NCAA run coming for several years with this program, but this obviously exceeded anyones wildest dreams

Getting back to rivalry mode, the "You stay classy Conway" award goes to the Coastal fans who ripped the BSC for taking some credit for their championship, saying "we're gone, and we won't miss you" They went to the tournament on the BSC auto bid Yeah, they would have gotten an at large this year if they had lost to us in the conference final, but no way they would be where they are now without a conference affiliation
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Congrats to Gilmore, his staff and players You could see an NCAA run coming for several years with this program, but this obviously exceeded anyones wildest dreams

Getting back to rivalry mode, the "You stay classy Conway" award goes to the Coastal fans who ripped the BSC for taking some credit for their championship, saying "we're gone, and we won't miss you" They went to the tournament on the BSC auto bid Yeah, they would have gotten an at large this year if they had lost to us in the conference final, but no way they would be where they are now without a conference affiliation
hahahaha, please stop. The Big South did absolutely nothing to contribute to Coastal's success.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
olldflame wrote:Congrats to Gilmore, his staff and players You could see an NCAA run coming for several years with this program, but this obviously exceeded anyones wildest dreams

hahahaha, please stop. The Big South did absolutely nothing to contribute to Coastal's success.
Don't construe what I am saying as praising the BSC, but nonetheless, I disagree Having seen what it is like to try to succeed as an independant, I will maintain that they definately benefited from being a conference member, even if that conference is the lowly BSC

As far as baseball is concerned, while this was a down year, it has historically been a sport where the BSC is relatively strong The SBC is not a huge step up for them They should do very well there
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

Don't construe what I am saying as praising the BSC, but nonetheless, I disagree Having seen what it is like to try to succeed as an independant, I will maintain that they definately benefited from being a conference member, even if that conference is the lowly BSC

As far as baseball is concerned, while this was a down year, it has historically been a sport where the BSC is relatively strong The SBC is not a huge step up for them They should do very well there

Do you honestly believe that if the Big South conference didn't exist, Coastal would be an independent?

The only competitive team in the BSC is Coastal, who is now leaving. The SBC has UL-Lafayette, who has become a baseball powerhouse recently & South Alabama, who is becoming a real program. Coastal just left a league that will only produce one bid each season (which will likely get knocked out in regionals), to join a conference that will consistently produce 3 regional teams and will likely always have one team that hosts a regional. For at least the next five years, the SBC will be far and away the better conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Your hypothetical about what Coastal would be if the BSC did not exist is totally irrelevant It does, and they were a charter member in 1983 If it contributed nothing to their success, why did they hang around for 33 years The BSC gave them a home when they needed it, just as they did with Liberty If they were such hot stuff all this time, why didn't they move to a better conference before now Either they were benefiting from the conference, they weren't really all that and nobody else wanted them, or they were idiots Their baseball team would have gotten an at large bid this year, but there are at least a couple of others when winning the conference tourney was the only way they got an NCAA bid

I won't argue that the SBC is not a better baseball conference than the BSC, but I will stick by my statement that it is not a HUGE step up Your declaration that the BSC is strictly a one bid league with Coastal gone is not necessarily supported by the facts They have had 3 bids on more than one occasion over the years and Liberty, Campbell and Radford have all gone to the NCAAs recently despite Coastal's dominance
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Our fans would've done the exact same thing.
We crap on the conference all the time. I guess when we do it its OK.
There are plenty of things you can legitimately "crap on" the BSC for Proclaiming that a BSC team won the national championship is not one of them It happened The timing is ironic to say the least, with the last out being their final act as a conference member, but that does not wipe out the previous 33 years
By Kiwon
olldflame wrote:Your hypothetical about what Coastal would be if the BSC did not exist is totally irrelevant It does, and they were a charter member in 1983 If it contributed nothing to their success, why did they hang around for 33 years The BSC gave them a home when they needed it, just as they did with Liberty If they were such hot stuff all this time, why didn't they move to a better conference before now Either they were benefiting from the conference, they weren't really all that and nobody else wanted them, or they were idiots Their baseball team would have gotten an at large bid this year, but there are at least a couple of others when winning the conference tourney was the only way they got an NCAA bid

I won't argue that the SBC is not a better baseball conference than the BSC, but I will stick by my statement that it is not a HUGE step up Your declaration that the BSC is strictly a one bid league with Coastal gone is not necessarily supported by the facts They have had 3 bids on more than one occasion over the years and Liberty, Campbell and Radford have all gone to the NCAAs recently despite Coastal's dominance
olldflame, sir, just how old are you? Punctuation has been around for a long time.

Let me introduce you to something called a "period." It looks like this little dot . and goes at the end of sentences. It helps us mere mortals to grasp your meaning more easily. :)

I agree with your comments on the BSC and congrats to CCU for winning it all in their first appearance at Omaha.
By CCUstudent
Hello, former conference mates. I just wanted to add a bit of information that I think is missing from the comment about our fans giving the Big South crap. You need to frame it in the proper context. Remember, we were scheduled to host the basketball and baseball tournaments this spring. The Big South pulled both of those from us as punishment for us leaving the conference. Now, granted we did not give the BSC much notice before we announced our transition, but I think everyone remembers how quickly that whole thing unfolded. It's not like Coastal chose to screw over the Big South. We made a decision that was obviously in our best interest that had to happen at that particular moment and the BSC punished us for it. That is why we give the BSC crap for trying to ride our coat tails. They forced us to travel to that run down stadium in Lexington, which made it slightly more difficult for us to have success in the regionals, then they start hashtagging "Big South Pride" on all of their posts related to us when we started winning. If you can't see why that irks us, then you're not thinking logically. If the Big South didn't take away our tournament hosts, I promise you none of us would be saying anything. Because as much as we all wanted the leave this conference, we didn't have any hard feelings towards it until they acted like a ticked off 10th grade ex girlfriend. The Big South should have recognized the opportunity we were presented with, thanked us for consistently bringing it the most success, and let us go. Instead, they tried to get every last bit of attention from us that they could--right up until 7 hours before we officially left... when we won a national championship.

I think that makes a little more sense. I know most of you already understood.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kiwon wrote:
olldflame wrote:Your hypothetical about what Coastal would be if the BSC did not exist is totally irrelevant It does, and they were a charter member in 1983 If it contributed nothing to their success, why did they hang around for 33 years The BSC gave them a home when they needed it, just as they did with Liberty If they were such hot stuff all this time, why didn't they move to a better conference before now Either they were benefiting from the conference, they weren't really all that and nobody else wanted them, or they were idiots Their baseball team would have gotten an at large bid this year, but there are at least a couple of others when winning the conference tourney was the only way they got an NCAA bid

olldflame, sir, just how old are you? Punctuation has been around for a long time.

Let me introduce you to something called a "period." It looks like this little dot . and goes at the end of sentences. It helps us mere mortals to grasp your meaning more easily. :)

I agree with your comments on the BSC and congrats to CCU for winning it all in their first appearance at Omaha.

It's not an age issue, it's a computer issue period My period and question mark keys are not functioning, and getting stuff fixed here in La Romana is a challenge period Is that better question mark
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame's lack of periods was reminding me of William Faulkner's writing, so I was loving his free flowing, steam of consciousness prose; Faulkner would be the first to tell you that periods are highly overrated, especially in modern writing! :wink:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Kiwon wrote:

It's not an age issue, it's a computer issue period My period and question mark keys are not functioning, and getting stuff fixed here in La Romana is a challenge period Is that better question mark
Oh snap! You go OlD. Your first post sounded drunk and your rebuttal sounded hung over!! Ha

I hare Gammar Nazi's as much as Jake and Elwood hate Illinois Nazi's!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
CCUstudent wrote:Hello, former conference mates. I just wanted to add a bit of information that I think is missing from the comment about our fans giving the Big South crap. You need to frame it in the proper context. Remember, we were scheduled to host the basketball and baseball tournaments this spring. The Big South pulled both of those from us as punishment for us leaving the conference. Now, granted we did not give the BSC much notice before we announced our transition, but I think everyone remembers how quickly that whole thing unfolded. It's not like Coastal chose to screw over the Big South. We made a decision that was obviously in our best interest that had to happen at that particular moment and the BSC punished us for it. That is why we give the BSC crap for trying to ride our coat tails. They forced us to travel to that run down stadium in Lexington, which made it slightly more difficult for us to have success in the regionals, then they start hashtagging "Big South Pride" on all of their posts related to us when we started winning. If you can't see why that irks us, then you're not thinking logically. If the Big South didn't take away our tournament hosts, I promise you none of us would be saying anything. Because as much as we all wanted the leave this conference, we didn't have any hard feelings towards it until they acted like a ticked off 10th grade ex girlfriend. The Big South should have recognized the opportunity we were presented with, thanked us for consistently bringing it the most success, and let us go. Instead, they tried to get every last bit of attention from us that they could--right up until 7 hours before we officially left... when we won a national championship.

Makes perfect sense. The big south conference has always been a joke.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I hare Gammar Nazi's as much as Jake and Elwood hate Illinois Nazi's!
:rofl Be careful there, Purple: your WVU education is showing. :fineprint
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CCUstudent wrote:Hello, former conference mates. I just wanted to add a bit of information that I think is missing from the comment about our fans giving the Big South crap. You need to frame it in the proper context. Remember, we were scheduled to host the basketball and baseball tournaments this spring. The Big South pulled both of those from us as punishment for us leaving the conference. Now, granted we did not give the BSC much notice before we announced our transition, but I think everyone remembers how quickly that whole thing unfolded. It's not like Coastal chose to screw over the Big South. We made a decision that was obviously in our best interest that had to happen at that particular moment and the BSC punished us for it. That is why we give the BSC crap for trying to ride our coat tails. They forced us to travel to that run down stadium in Lexington, which made it slightly more difficult for us to have success in the regionals, then they start hashtagging "Big South Pride" on all of their posts related to us when we started winning. If you can't see why that irks us, then you're not thinking logically. If the Big South didn't take away our tournament hosts, I promise you none of us would be saying anything. Because as much as we all wanted the leave this conference, we didn't have any hard feelings towards it until they acted like a ticked off 10th grade ex girlfriend. The Big South should have recognized the opportunity we were presented with, thanked us for consistently bringing it the most success, and let us go. Instead, they tried to get every last bit of attention from us that they could--right up until 7 hours before we officially left... when we won a national championship.

I will concede that the changing of the conference tournament venues is something Coastal fans might get riled up about, but a lot more people would have been upset throughout the conference if they hadn't, and their loyalty obviously was with those who were not leaving Welcome to the real world after getting treated like the fair-haired princesa of the conference for the past 20 years or so

As far as whether the decision to go FBS was in Coastal's best interest, the jury hasn't even convened on that yet
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I hare Gammar Nazi's as much as Jake and Elwood hate Illinois Nazi's!
:rofl Be careful there, Purple: your WVU education is showing. :fineprint
I will also put Spelling Nazi's in that group! :x
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I will also put Spelling Nazi's in that group! :x
For the record, Nazis are plural, not possessive. Study
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]