This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:There has been some level of interest shown by several other coaches that haven't been named yet. Hopefully we will get the right guy, he is out there, and is interested.
You keep hinting at that but have yet to drop a name.
You are correct about that. I guess I have pulled a Sly. :D Most of these guys still have jobs and I do not have permission to share their names. If there is any question regarding the veracity of my comments, I will be happy to provide proof, after the process is over, or progresses significantly.
I just won't say any more unless/until the names become public. I do take my promise of confidentially very serious.
No more Sly's for me.......................... at least for now. 8)
By Jonathan Carone
I'm all for the confidentiality. I totally get why that's needed. I just didn't know if you were trying to bait us into asking or protecting someone. Thanks for the clarification.

You also don't have to provide proof of anything. You've been around long enough that we know you don't say something unless you believe it to be true.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm all for the confidentiality. I totally get why that's needed. I just didn't know if you were trying to bait us into asking or protecting someone. Thanks for the clarification.

You also don't have to provide proof of anything. You've been around long enough that we know you don't say something unless you believe it to be true.
No worries Jon. I am just praying that we get the right guy, no matter who it is. There are some good ones out there. Would like to have all of the pub that CCU is getting right now for their trip to Omaha. No reason we can't get there some day with the right staff.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I completely agree flameshaw. With CCU getting the pub right now, it wold be nice to have someone we can "win the press conference" with as I noted before...but then can go out and win everything else.
By Jonathan Carone
Winning the press conference is totally overrated. We don't need more flash and hype. We need hard work, fundamentals, and the basics. If a guy can do that at a high level, I don't care if he's not a known name.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't saying that he had to have "flash" and "hype" to win the press conference...at least not this time around...Im saying that if he can step up to that microphone and you know before he even coaches a game that when fans see this guy, whoever he is, that they can get behind him with confidence. The other stuff you mentioned is what you want to come once he hits the field.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I wasn't saying that he had to have "flash" and "hype" to win the press conference...at least not this time around...Im saying that if he can step up to that microphone and you know before he even coaches a game that when fans see this guy, whoever he is, that they can get behind him with confidence. The other stuff you mentioned is what you want to come once he hits the field.
People were against Phil Jackson in Chicago
Your statement makes no sense.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:East Cobb is no longer to hotbed for baseball. Perfect Game has taken over in Atlanta. East Cobb is run down and not like it used to be. Where ever Perfect Game is having a tournament, that is where the College and Scouts go- Fact!
Hard to believe that East Cobb is "run down" in a matter of 5 years. Then again, I haven't lived in GA for 6 years, so you may be right. Surprising nonetheless.
By Jonathan Carone
I highly doubt Tomlin gets a shot. He's a great coach, is incredibly knowledgeable, and has done great at LCA, but the politics and relationships behind that aren't in a great place.
By Dirty 30
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Dirty 30 wrote:East Cobb is no longer to hotbed for baseball. Perfect Game has taken over in Atlanta. East Cobb is run down and not like it used to be. Where ever Perfect Game is having a tournament, that is where the College and Scouts go- Fact!
Hard to believe that East Cobb is "run down" in a matter of 5 years. Then again, I haven't lived in GA for 6 years, so you may be right. Surprising nonetheless.
LUnpretty 11, It has been running for about 12 to 13 years now. It was amazing the first 7 to 8 years. Everyone went to play there. Now perfect game has taken over and built a multi million dollar complex and now East Cobb is just a host site for the games run by Perfect Game. They use to have power house teams and now they are watered down. They still have players but not like they used to have. The place was unbelievable. We went there last year to play a game and it looked bad.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
LUnpretty 11, It has been running for about 12 to 13 years now. It was amazing the first 7 to 8 years. Everyone went to play there. Now perfect game has taken over and built a multi million dollar complex and now East Cobb is just a host site for the games run by Perfect Game. They use to have power house teams and now they are watered down. They still have players but not like they used to have. The place was unbelievable. We went there last year to play a game and it looked bad.
Wow, that's disheartening to hear. I'm sure the PG site is amazing, but everyone used to rave about the EC facility. Was Major League grade and the grounds crew was incredible. I have been out of the loop for a couple years now, so that makes sense why it's a surprise. Thanks for the insight!
By southern_flames88
A little bit of information about the new complex where Perfect Game is playing. It is called Lakepoint sports and PG is leasing fields there for the next 20 years. It is a state of the art 1200 acre venue that host every sport imaginable. You can visit www.lakepointsports.com to see all of the ammenities! Amazing place! East Cobb still host games but certainly has lost some of it's shine. The owners of Lakepoint are believers and truly are praying that players coming through find something more than the sport they are playing. Pretty cool deal!

On the coaching front - interested to see which coaches get interviews. This hire will be very telling about the direction the program going in both on & off the field
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
southern_flames88 wrote:A little bit of information about the new complex where Perfect Game is playing. It is called Lakepoint sports and PG is leasing fields there for the next 20 years. It is a state of the art 1200 acre venue that host every sport imaginable. You can visit http://www.lakepointsports.com to see all of the ammenities! Amazing place! East Cobb still host games but certainly has lost some of it's shine. The owners of Lakepoint are believers and truly are praying that players coming through find something more than the sport they are playing. Pretty cool deal!

On the coaching front - interested to see which coaches get interviews. This hire will be very telling about the direction the program going in both on & off the field

Thanks for the insight 88! I was definitely confused to hear EC isn't what it used to be as someone who played there for 2 years. I can understand why and it's really cool Lakepoint has the amenities and mission they do. Thanks for sharing!

*Edit: Everyone should go to their website. Truly remarkable facility and growth plan.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:He's been linked to the app state job as well. Things must not be good in mercer land.
No. hes getting a new stadium built. things are fine there, but our job is probably double his salary.
By sporter
Registration Days Posts
4 major differences between us and mercer none of which can be overlooked on their own but together can make a very compelling argument.

1 - Liberty will pay significantly higher.
2 - Liberty will pay his staff significantly higher.
3 - while mercer is building (or just built) a new stadium, the facilities are not at the level of Liberty's.
4 - ability to recruit nationally and get to a different place on the national scene is much greater at Liberty.

Also, for those of you that don't know, our baseball strength coach came from Mercer last year.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
sporter wrote:4 major differences between us and mercer none of which can be overlooked on their own but together can make a very compelling argument.

1 - Liberty will pay significantly higher.
2 - Liberty will pay his staff significantly higher.
3 - while mercer is building (or just built) a new stadium, the facilities are not at the level of Liberty's.
4 - ability to recruit nationally and get to a different place on the national scene is much greater at Liberty.

Also, for those of you that don't know, our baseball strength coach came from Mercer last year.
Shelton Stevens is an awesome guy. worked with him while i was at mercer.
By Jonathan Carone
Gibson would be a solid hire. I don't know that he'd be able to build us to Coastal's level (which to me is the goal) but he wouldn't be a drop off. We'd go to regionals 1-2 times every four years and might make a super once in a decade. We'd be a solid mid-major program but not a perennial top 25 team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Gibson would be a solid hire. I don't know that he'd be able to build us to Coastal's level (which to me is the goal) but he wouldn't be a drop off. We'd go to regionals 1-2 times every four years and might make a super once in a decade. We'd be a solid mid-major program but not a perennial top 25 team.
Thank you Nostradamus

He might be just what we need, but it's a little hard to get excited about a guy who pretty much had the same record as the one we just fired Yeah, he did it with less, but some people around here seem to think resources and facilities are actually a disadvantage
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]