This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jon raises a fair point...the thing with coach Gilmore is today really was a culmination of years of work and development. The question I have is would Gibson (or whoever the new coach ends up being) gets the opportunity (and the time) to build that kind of foundation?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Gibson started to follow Barber on twitter. could mean nothing since Meyer went on a following spree last year and Liberty got Ritchie instead.

lets see how he does managing and with player/development. he produced a first rounder this year but pitching was horrendous the last two years. he'll definitely have one of the top facilities around in the nation and add COA's so getting talent shouldn't be an issue.
Last edited by ballah09 on June 30th, 2016, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
We already have a foundation, Beej. We are looking for someone to expand on that foundation and take us to the next level. Toman expanded it from Royer. Now we need to expand it past that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Fair enough...I still have to question whether or not they will have the patience to give Gibson (or whoever the new coach is) the time to build on the foundation. Youre a CCU guy, Jon, you know that what happened today was a building process there. Now, I don't think it will take 21 years for us, but I also don't think it would be wise to pull the trigger after a couple years.
By Jonathan Carone
Beej - you don't get it. You can't compare our situation with Gilmore's. He went from absolutely nothing and built his foundation with talent and results over the course of a couple decades. Then he got the resources. We already have the resources and are pretty close on the talent. We just don't have the results. If a new coach comes in and doesn't make regionals within four years they're a failed hire.
By Jonathan Carone
My biggest fear of this process - that Jeff would zero in on a guy and have tunnel vision - seems to not be coming to fruition. This is truly a search and he's talking to a few really good coaches. I'm excited to see what comes of it.
By oldjock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Winning the press conference is totally overrated. We don't need more flash and hype. We need hard work, fundamentals, and the basics. If a guy can do that at a high level, I don't care if he's not a known name.
I agree, forget the flashy names get a guy who can flat out coach, communicate, who is a strong Christian who will lead young men. A Liberty guy would certainly be a plus. If he is not a Liberty guy surround yourself with Liberty guys who are like minded who can flat out coach!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
What if he just surrounds himself with like minded guys who can flat out coach, regardless if they are Liberty guys or not?
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
I agree the program and school is recruiting itself. Get a Liberty guy either as the head man or on staff. Get a guy that has seen the school move is the vision that Doc set years ago. I would even look at some of the HS coaches that played at LU to join the staff. Guys that have been successful and can coach. Not sure about a HC from HS level but for sure on staff. That trend is all over college football now. I know a few that would do it too.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
So you wouldn't like the hire if we got a guy who is a developer of talent, an excellent in-game tactician and leader of men who can get involved in the community and fits the culture of the school but isn't a "Liberty guy"?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Trying to get a "Liberty Guy" on board if he is not the HC is tricky An AD can get away with making "recommendations" for assistants in football, where you have a large staff, but with only 2 assistants allowed in baseball you would be limiting the HC's choice for half his staff
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im not even sure how inge was a candidate. I would have rathee had toman all day than him. Totally unproven and doesnt carry enough of a name that most recruits would even know.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Im not even sure how inge was a candidate.
Inge is a local sports celebrity--a hometown Brookville boy--with a name bigger than Jim Bibby's, RIP.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yes but cider that doesn't mean much to coaching d1 program. Darin erstad for instance was a much bitger name than inge at a power conference traditional power and he isn't doing much.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:There are Liberty guys out there. I just think it would be a home run.
Im sure there are enough to fill an all-star roster. Im just asking if you would be happy with us getting a guy who is a proven coach and leader of men who is a philosophical and cultural fit even if Liberty wasn't on his resume?
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Sure I would be supportive. But there is nothing like having alums in the program esp at a place like Liberty. A guy that can help tell the story and is sold on the mission of the school. Liberty is such a young university with most of its alums still living its important to bring them together. Guys that can talk about the man that has a bust in front of the stadium and what he meant to Liberty. Its just a thought from an old dude that is very thankful for his time on Liberty Mtn. and owe most of the success i have experienced to the vision that Doc help me cast. The character that Coach Worthington taught me has also made me a better man and has enabled me to set myself apart from others professionally.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I could probably list a few from my early days on the mountain, but I don't think they'd make a good head coach. Like Jon said, maybe a good assistant but not the man in charge.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Same here. I know some guys that would be great on staff that have been coaching at the HS. level I know that seems to be a trend in college FB bringing in a successful HS guy but they have larger staffs. I know the OC at Clemson is/was a HS guy. I know of a few LU guys in HS now that have had success that might be open but can't speak for them. It will be interesting for sure. Any word on who is the front runner?
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]