This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Pitching actually hasn't been a great spot for UNC. They over utilize many of their pitchers. But like was said, Jackson isn't the pitching coach there.

As for the tweet about Jackson being the sure fire guy - remember that the D1 guys just try to be first. They're not nearly as concerned with being right.

We had an interview today and there will be another one tomorrow. The plan all along was to have a few guys in this week. No job has been offered yet.

If it's like normal, the D1 guys probably heard from someone that Jackson is working on lining up his staff if he gets the job. They took that as he's the likely guy. He may be - and he'd be an incredible hire - but we haven't even finished interviews yet.
By Jonathan Carone
Another thing to remember: Jeff surprised us all with the basketball hire. No one saw it coming. He is incredible at keeping these things quiet (especially at a school like Liberty). This is the fun part about being a fan though. We get to try to pull out info from wherever we can and at the end of the day we are likely wrong but we had fun trying to figure it out.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Dead wrong there Jon. Pitching has been the only reason unc has been consistently top 25. They are consistently top 25 in era and his recruiting is a lot of that. Go look at the stats over the past 6 years. My point is he will help our pitching cosniderably if he's the guy. Further I've been to 3 of their games against us in person over the last few years and there projects are lefties that throw 94 ha. Trust me, go back and look at the names and it's impressive and the overall depth. Now he's not the only reason but hes a sizeable part.
By Jonathan Carone
The talent is definitely there, but the thing they've slipped into is shortening their bullpen and riding the same smaller staff all season, thus overusing them by the end of the year. That makes it less than awesome. Sorry if I made it seem like there wasn't talent. Wasn't my intention at all.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Well, yeah the BJ rejection caught us all off guard.
Nice spin on the other stuff. A good AD ALWAYS has a short list in the back of their minds. Of course the official word is that 'we are taking our time'. ' we want to get this right' etc. it just reinforces my belief that something happened in the after season meeting that caught JB flat footed. Now instead of 'taking it slow' LU is scrambling trying to find the best of what remains out there. Apparently pickings are slim.
From what i'm hearing you are 110% wrong... This position has caught the eye of many good coaches. With the facilities, the money behind the program and the vision of where Liberty wants to go - there is no shortage of coaches trying to get this job.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Alright You guys have more inside info and Kool aid tumblers than I do. I would think there would be a lot of people interested. My point is opposite and I'm not explaining too well but it's picking nits at this point.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:I'm interested to hear the other names. Not doubting it but Jackson is the only one I've heard that I liked at all.
This is exactly where I am on this We are hearing about all the interest in the job from quality applicants and 12 interviews, but only 3 or 4 names, and Jackson is the only one of that group that excites me in the least Also hearing there were alumni in the mix but no names on that either
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:I'm interested to hear the other names. Not doubting it but Jackson is the only one I've heard that I liked at all.
This is exactly where I am on this We are hearing about all the interest in the job from quality applicants and 12 interviews, but only 3 or 4 names, and Jackson is the only one of that group that excites me in the least Also hearing there were alumni in the mix but no names on that either
There have been that many F2F interviews?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I may have missed this but I don't hear Tony Beasly's name being mentioned. I guess he was not being considered and/or doesn't want to give up his day job.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:Scott Jackson
Rick Robinson
Brandon Inge
Graham Sikes
Craig Gibson
Sid Bream
Rich Maloney
Shawn Stiffler
Thanks

Happy to see Sid was interviewed I'm not sure he would be the best choice for HC, but it would be great to have him on the staff
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:I may have missed this but I don't hear Tony Beasly's name being mentioned. I guess he was not being considered and/or doesn't want to give up his day job.
Tony is being treated for cancer, but I believe he is still coaching 3b for the Rangers Probably not the best time to change career path for him Actually, if he can get past this, I think he still has a shot at being a ML manager
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:Scott Jackson
Rick Robinson
Brandon Inge
Graham Sikes
Craig Gibson
Sid Bream
Rich Maloney
Shawn Stiffler
These have been the F2F interviews?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Beasley? Where is he now?
NVM - answered my own question. 3B coach with the Rangers, and fighting cancer right now. Probably not the best timing for him.
I had this little conversation with myself back on page 1.
By Jonathan Carone
Tomlin also got a face to face.

I don't think all eight of those got face to face interviews but most of them did.

Stiffler is out. I think the three finalists are Jackson, Robinson, and a mystery guy I don't know about.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
how is Robinson a finalist over Stiffler and Maloney? he hasn't proved @!$% in division 1. Juco yes. I know he was TN Martin but so what. Dale Layer used Colorado State as a scape goat and look where that got Liberty..
By Jonathan Carone
You realize there are tons of factors that go into this, right? Stiffler pulled his name out. Not sure who made the call on Maloney.

From what I have heard about Robinson from coaches and former players, he would be a great fit for us. He'd surround himself with a much more experienced staff than he has at UT-Martin.

In my eyes, it's Jackson, Robinson, mystery dude. I would think Jackson would be at the top of Jeff's too.
By youngflamer
I hear there are some alums in the mix in addition to Bream. If you are wondering why the firing came so long after the end of the season was because Jr told Barber to get rid of Toman because of all the negatives. It wasn't Barber's decision at all because Toman was his hire, therefore he was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Jr had heard from too many reports of what was going on to let Barber keep him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I thought JR was too busy angling for a Cabinet post to worry about baseball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You realize there are tons of factors that go into this, right? Stiffler pulled his name out. Not sure who made the call on Maloney.

From what I have heard about Robinson from coaches and former players, he would be a great fit for us. He'd surround himself with a much more experienced staff than he has at UT-Martin.

In my eyes, it's Jackson, Robinson, mystery dude. I would think Jackson would be at the top of Jeff's too.
Unless "mystery dude" is named Tony Beasley 8)

One thing people should keep in mind is that JUCO baseball is a LOT closer to D1 level than sports like basketball and football Robinson has sent a lot of players to the pros
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:I hear there are some alums in the mix in addition to Bream. If you are wondering why the firing came so long after the end of the season was because Jr told Barber to get rid of Toman because of all the negatives. It wasn't Barber's decision at all because Toman was his hire, therefore he was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Jr had heard from too many reports of what was going on to let Barber keep him.
JLFJR was obviously back to reading flamefans again This is all Carone's doing

As far as Toman being JB's hire, it means nothing So was Layer If you stick around long enough as an AD, you will have to fire coaches you hired Comes with the territory
Last edited by olldflame on July 15th, 2016, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]