This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
This might be a shot in the arm for the program. Toman wasn't a bad coach IMHO, but sometimes a change is good for everyone involved. I wish him luck, wherever he lands.
By Jonathan Carone
flameshaw wrote:This might be a shot in the arm for the program. Toman wasn't a bad coach IMHO, but sometimes a change is good for everyone involved. I wish him luck, wherever he lands.
He's going to have a ton of options. You don't evaluate and find talent as good as he does and not have offers. You'll likely see him pop up as a high major assistant or even a minor league scout.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jon, I have to imagine this makes you happy.

I agree with most that our program is stagnant and would have remained so with Toman at the helms. He is an incredible recruiter, but the lack of player development and poor coaching style is what has held Liberty back. My hope is we are able to attract someone who can do for our baseball program what Dot is doing for softball. I wish Toman well, but this is good news for Liberty baseball.
By Jonathan Carone
LUnpretty11 wrote:Jon, I have to imagine this makes you happy.
I hate that a dude lost his job but I think it's what's best for the program.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:This might be a shot in the arm for the program. Toman wasn't a bad coach IMHO, but sometimes a change is good for everyone involved. I wish him luck, wherever he lands.
He's going to have a ton of options. You don't evaluate and find talent as good as he does and not have offers. You'll likely see him pop up as a high major assistant or even a minor league scout.
Not sure about a scout. That job is a major grind and doesn't always pay much. I would be surprised if he ended up there. A high major assistant seems to be more likely. He may just want to be able to be with his kids more, hard to say. I hope it works out for him though.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:Jon, I have to imagine this makes you happy.
I hate that a dude lost his job but I think it's what's best for the program.
I'm not sure he "lost" his job... Unless this is a Rocco situation. To your point, I never wish someone to be jobless. Regardless, he will have a new job at a P5 (likely) school before the end of the summer.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Did Barber pull the trigger on this?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I was honestly hoping he'd stay on and we'd upgrade our assistants. Or was that the intent and he wouldn't go along?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:He lost his job.
That means Barber pulled the trigger. Is the timing odd or is this usually when coaches get axed? I know in hoops it happens before the Final Four so that everyone can network
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Good move by JB. He'll find a good landing spot shortly. Just hoping the new hire will have Toman's recruiting skills to go along with actual coaching ability.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:He lost his job.
That means Barber pulled the trigger. Is the timing odd or is this usually when coaches get axed? I know in hoops it happens before the Final Four so that everyone can network
The timing surprises me. I wonder how much has to do with Coastal's run in Omaha.
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
Well my prayers have finally been answered. This is way overdue; but so glad it has happened. No matter who gets the HC job; the Flames are way better off now. Does J. Murray have a chance at getting the HC position?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Letsgoflames wrote:Needed to happen. Hopefully Barber is next!
You do know who is going to be making that call right?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
The Donald?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
:clapping :clapping :flamingdevil
adam42381 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
The Donald?
Your stature only continues to grow
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:
The Donald?
:roll: well played...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Toman won't be out of work for long. Pretty much any high major program with an opening for an assistant will be looking at him because of his reputation as a recruiter.

I think his biggest mistake was hiring 2 assistants who also are mainly recruiters, leaving us with a glaring weakness in player development. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was given the option to replace Quinn and Murray and decided it was time to go.
By Jonathan Carone
His only options were if he wanted the press release to say 'fired' or 'resigned'. This wasn't a Rocco situation.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I mean I was thinking maybe was asked to replace quinn and guarantee a regional or else he was toast next year and he just bailed. Then I saw the tweet from Roger's and it was pretty clear that that was Toman relaying his dismay through Roger's voice all the whIle being politically correct to damien etc. You could hear the urgency in jbs voice again in the interview on the sportsline this week. Gill better be watching closely.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This might be seen as a shot across now for all coaches at LU except maybe Ritchie and Dot I always thought they were tied at the hip. So if he will get rid of Toman he will get rid of anyone. So if you don't win Confernence next year you better have a legit reason or you may be gone
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Timing wise I had a few thoughts. With layer he was canned the second the season ended. Granted he was horrible through and through. Season has been over for a month and the season was basically ruined by may1 meaning JB likely wasn't 100 percent sure he was going to make the move. I think a couple things have happened. Ill start with the least likely. The least likely is that something recently happeNed that resulted in the move. I think once kiriloff and Lee signed and coastal made the world series and kept advancing showing what was truly possible that then JB saw that it was time to make a move for sure. I could be wrong but that's the best I can come up with timing wise.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]