This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think Toman have a new job within 7 days.
Business or Calendar?
By Dirty 30
Coach Toman is a good man and a good coach. I hate to see him resigned. He is a great friend and loves kids. I am learning the history of his time at Liberty. I called Brandon Tillmon who committed to Liberty to play football and baseball this coming season. He reported on June 12 to begin his college career and he had no clue that Coach Toman had resigned. He really liked Coach Toman and he was close to him because of his dad who is good friends with Coach Toman from his USC days. It really upset him and wonders what will happen come time for baseball after football season. I hope the new coach is a good one. Coach Toman will be missed and he will be coaching somewhere before fall classes start back.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Dirty 30 wrote:Coach Toman is a good man and a good coach. I hate to see him resigned. He is a great friend and loves kids. I am learning the history of his time at Liberty. I called Brandon Tillmon who committed to Liberty to play football and baseball this coming season. He reported on June 12 to begin his college career and he had no clue that Coach Toman had resigned. He really liked Coach Toman and he was close to him because of his dad who is good friends with Coach Toman from his USC days. It really upset him and wonders what will happen come time for baseball after football season. I hope the new coach is a good one. Coach Toman will be missed and he will be coaching somewhere before fall classes start back.
I have been wondering how the recruits would react. I too think that Toman was a good coach and deserved another year, but sometimes change is a good thing for all involved.
If history tells us anything, I would not be concerned about the new coach coming in. 99.9% sure, he will be a good coach and expectations will be to win immediately. Brandon will be in good hands.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think his concern is more with the fact that Toman was very open to his playing baseball and football and whether the new coach will be as open to that arrangement
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I think his concern is more with the fact that Toman was very open to his playing baseball and football and whether the new coach will be as open to that arrangement
I can't see why a new coach would not be more than happy to have a big, talented, athletic OF who was POY in the state of SC without having to use any precious scholarship $$. It's a gift from Gill with the only stipulation being football obligations come first.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree that it'll be a gift...it'll just be the new coach's call whether he accepts that gift or not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I agree that it'll be a gift...it'll just be the new coach's call whether he accepts that gift or not.
Why in the world would they not?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I agree that it'll be a gift...it'll just be the new coach's call whether he accepts that gift or not.
Why in the world would they not?
I suppose there might be the odd coach who would take the hardball approach that they want baseball to be the top priority for all of their players Hopefully no one we would hire. (For the benefit of BJ, those were two puns, and both were intended)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
2 way is big deal for us. Almost landed us dalton a couple years ago. Any coach with a brain makes it work if the talent is there.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Based on what I've read and from a distance I don't see Toman's departure a positive for this program.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I was kind of surprised to read this on Friday. The timing does seem a little odd especially with Coastal leaving the conference. Everyone talks about the recruiting ability of Toman but it seems like we have had a lot of JUCO players under Toman. To his defense we have lost several players to the draft.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:I was kind of surprised to read this on Friday. The timing does seem a little odd especially with Coastal leaving the conference. Everyone talks about the recruiting ability of Toman but it seems like we have had a lot of JUCO players under Toman. To his defense we have lost several players to the draft.
I'm not so sure we should give a coach too much credit for signing a player like Kiralloff, who was almost certain to sign a pro contract, or conversly cut him any slack for "losing" him, It's like signing a highly rated kid when you know he won't qualify academically, It looks good for a while on paper, but if anything it discourages other players who would actually make it to campus and play from signing,

As far as the speculation about this move being in any way tied to Coastal's CWS run, I certainly hope not, That has nothing to do with Liberty, I'm sure it is frustrating to JB, but frustration is a bad basis for a major decision,
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If we want to go back to our roots for a "Liberty guy", why not go all the way lol

Al Worthington is 87, but as far as I know is in good health and chilling in Alabama Bring in Sid Bream as coach in waiting and hitting coach and a younger guy to recruit Al could coach the pitchers and manage the games and the other guys could do the heavy lifting

We might need to have a couple of wheel chairs handy 8)
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Not sure who you are but any smart### remarks about Coach Worthington shows your lack of respect for the program and the man that built it. So if I were you I would back paddle your dumb### post.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Not sure who you are but any smart### remarks about Coach Worthington shows your lack of respect for the program and the man that built it. So if I were you I would back paddle your dumb### post.
:shock:

FYI, I have been around Liberty athletics since I arrived as a student in 1974, met coach Worthington several times, and knew Sid, and especially Lee Guetterman, fairly well I honestly don't know where you read any disrespect in my tongue in cheek post, but I assure you none was intended Al Worthington is a GREAT MAN, and while I'm sure he has no desire to return to the grind, even on a limited basis, if anyone could do it at his age it would be him I would love to see Sid Bream back on the mountain in any capacity

The wheelchair joke was actually directed more at Sid and apparently missed the mark totally My bad Sid was hobbling pretty badly last time I saw him, which was several years ago Hopefully he has gotten that taken care of I think he needed a knee joint replacement
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Not sure who you are but any smart### remarks about Coach Worthington shows your lack of respect for the program and the man that built it. So if I were you I would back paddle your dumb### post.
You're way out of line.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame, I for one appreciated your Al Worthington comment. :oldhag And I knew from the beginning that you meant no offense.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Sorry to jump the gun but Coach Worthington is a special man and I along with a number of others would do about anything to protect his name . One of the great men in LU history. A man that believed it the mission and won games too. I love the man and owe a lot to him. Glad it was tongue and check. We would have run though a wall for Coach. Sidney is a good man and needs to be valued more around the program to your point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Lighten up Francis
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
krh44 wrote:I was kind of surprised to read this on Friday. The timing does seem a little odd especially with Coastal leaving the conference. Everyone talks about the recruiting ability of Toman but it seems like we have had a lot of JUCO players under Toman. To his defense we have lost several players to the draft.
I'm not so sure we should give a coach too much credit for signing a player like Kiralloff, who was almost certain to sign a pro contract, or conversly cut him any slack for "losing" him, It's like signing a highly rated kid when you know he won't qualify academically, It looks good for a while on paper, but if anything it discourages other players who would actually make it to campus and play from signing,

As far as the speculation about this move being in any way tied to Coastal's CWS run, I certainly hope not, That has nothing to do with Liberty, I'm sure it is frustrating to JB, but frustration is a bad basis for a major decision,
I just thought it was late if they are going to make a move. If anything I would have thought that they would have given Toman another year with Coastal out of the conference. Toman has had some success but we all remember the awful losing streak he had against them.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

Kiralloff was rated a 5-6 round draft pick when he committed to LU. His stock rose dramatically after he committed.

I am sure this decision was not based on anything CCU did regarding their CWS run, If it did, Jeff Barber needs to go next. You can't make major decisions like this based on emotions. I highly doubt that JB measures our success based solely on what CCU does. Based on the numbers, we had a better year in overall sports than any other BSC school. We beat CCU the last two years in football. Would anyone here trade basketball programs with anyone else in the BSC today? Not sure I would trade any of our major programs with any other BSC school right now, except CCU baseball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Sorry to jump the gun but Coach Worthington is a special man and I along with a number of others would do about anything to protect his name . One of the great men in LU history. A man that believed it the mission and won games too. I love the man and owe a lot to him. Glad it was tongue and check. We would have run though a wall for Coach. Sidney is a good man and needs to be valued more around the program to your point.
No problem H&F Things do tend to get misunderstood at times in formats like this I TOTALLY agree about Al Worthington the man, and as a coach he has more knowledge of pitching in his pinky finger than the guy we had has in his brain, which is why I actually think he could do the job even now if he was so inclined

As far as having a Liberty man on the coaching staff, it's hard to do unless he is the HC Anyone else you hire as the head man is going to want to pick his own staff, and for the AD to insist on a particular assistant, while not unheard of, is generally considered to be meddling
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]