This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Duly noted...hopefully whoever his pitching coach is in Montana or Arizona (Im not expecting him to get sent out olldflame's way) will have quite a lump of clay to work with in getting those mechanics straightened out
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:If he can get his head straight, the mechanics will follow and you'll see him making his way up the ladder
It's the other way around in Parker's case. He can't repeat his mechanics (because they're messed up) and then that messes with his head.
Chicken meet egg. Regardless of which came first, it would seem the mechanics are the thing his pro pitching coaches are best qualified to help him with. I'm sure the Brewers also have the contact info for a sports psychologist or 2 if they deem it necessary.

Would I have loved to see him back for his Senior year with the kind of command he had as a FR (or better)? Of course, but it just wasn't going to happen.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Repotedly signed at slot value - $2.8 million.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Not bad...time will tell if he succeeds or not
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Not bad...time will tell if he succeeds or not
That's approaching ballcoach Obviosity. :lol:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
That's approaching ballcoach Obviosity. :I chortle audibly.:
True...I just didn't think much more needed to be said. Best of luck to him and I guess its off to Elizabethton for him
By Jonathan Carone
He signed a contract for $2.8 million at age 18. He's succeeded already. The rest is just gravy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
He signed a contract for $2.8 million at age 18. He's succeeded already. The rest is just gravy.
Here's hoping Alex doesn't feel that way. It's a pretty shallow view of success, and even if you only look at the financial aspect, 2.8mil is a fraction of his potential earnings if he can have even a mediocre ML career. Talented as he is, that will involve a lot more work on his part.
By Jonathan Carone
Less than 2% of high school baseball players play division I baseball. Even less get drafted. Regardless of money or future success, he's already been successful. There's more success to be had, but being a first round pick and signing an almost $3 million contract is nowhere near a shallow view of success.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We are dealing in semantics to some extent here Jon. Getting drafted in the first round and signing a 7 figure contract is indeed a major achievement for Alex. I think of success more in long range terms. If he goes forward from here with the mindset that anything else he accomplishes is "gravy", his chances of long range success are greatly diminished IMHO.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Less than 2% of high school baseball players play division I baseball. Even less get drafted. Regardless of money or future success, he's already been successful. There's more success to be had, but being a first round pick and signing an almost $3 million contract is nowhere near a shallow view of success.
^^^^this
Jalen Rose, not someone I usually pay attention to, made a similar point last night during the NBA Draft. He said can we stop calling people drafted a bust? They have reached a pinnacle that very few have. I hope he continues to do well but if he has tapped out on his potential than he has done well
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Bean isn't listed on the MiLB site...did he sign his contract?
Edit: Looks like he signed but he doesn't have a player page
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]