This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Last year Coastal had 1 player drafted! Somehow the MLB passed on Remillard, Young, Owings, Morrison, etc. Given our talent level I would be surprised to see any more than 2-3 get drafted and mostly in late rounds 20-30+.
By Flamepop
Registration Days Posts
They have Ashton in the Ranger organization. He's actually in independent ball with Travis City. What about Close and Lambert? Are they done?

I think the rounds in the article are way optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised to see no one drafted but I am hoping 3 or 4 of these kids get a chance. Remember getting drafted doesn't mean getting signed. Many teams don't have 40 openings in their organization and may only plan on signing their top picks and a few others who won't cost them much. Also as far as the teams paying for the rest of college for the juniors, maybe the top picks get that but the lower picks may just get offered an amount equal to their scholarship and nothing more.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. Not a very accurate look at the draft at all to me. I dont think theres any chance that cole gets taken a month and a half removed from surgery. Same with grabowski, i would be shocked if he got a sniff. Britt bean yacyk and shepherd are the 4 with a shot. Of those i think yacyk has the most to gain by coming back if hes drafted. He could easily be a 15 hr guy with another year improvement. Shepherd cant improve his stock much more other than maybe playing infield so he has more versatility listed. Bean...see adam parks. Britt, nice college player but i dont see him being good enough to play at next level either but some team may take a late round flier.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
i agree, if anything they're getting drafted based on signing their top prospects, although that's a move usually for seniors. i fully expected all of them to be back. Also Livingston Morris is going to be selected in the top 12 rounds. He's just as good of a hitter as Alex and i fully expect him in the starting OF next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:i agree, if anything they're getting drafted based on signing their top prospects, although that's a move usually for seniors. i fully expected all of them to be back. Also Livingston Morris is going to be selected in the top 12 rounds. He's just as good of a hitter as Alex and i fully expect him in the starting OF next year.
Morris is a very athletic 6'4" 225 and in addition to baseball is a 200' plus javelin thrower who finished 4th in the junior nationals. Hard to imagine he could do both in college, but in this link it doesn't sound like he plans on giving up T&F.

http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-track-re ... on-morris1

As far as being just as good a a hitter as Alex, all I can say is I hope you are right but really doubt it. With his size and athleticism, if he could rake like that, he would be projecting as a high first round pick. He's not.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Morris sounds like a kid that if we get him to the mountain, he is not somebody you want to try to run on
By Evan_Taylor
Flamepop wrote:They have Ashton in the Ranger organization. He's actually in independent ball with Travis City. What about Close and Lambert? Are they done?
I missed Ashton playing in independent ball and Trey Lambert is in the Washington organization currently. From what I can find Close isn't on a roster this year. Can anyone find any info to the contrary?
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Guess we will find out soon. Draft starts tonight I believe. I think this will be a slim draft for the Flames except the HS kids.
By LUDad
Just checked on McKenna & Trevillian to see how they are doing since last year's draft. From what I can tell they both have injuries. They are still on their rookie league rosters but doesn't look like Trevillian has seen any action since signing last year. Did he have surgery? McKenna played about 10 games last year before injuring his ankle. Don't think he has played since.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kyle Funkhouser, the P from Louisville, who was the only 1st round pick not to sign last year, went in the 4th round, #115 overall.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:The #103 overall pick last year signed for $554,000.00.
We could pay him more;)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
2.8 million is a figure you look at and figure with some smart and conservative investments you could be set for life. $554.000, not so much. The college degree starts to look better. In the case of Lee, I also think that whether he is really ready to give up pitching, which would surely be what happens if he signs, could play a factor. How great would it be to be able to bring a lefty with great stuff in from CF to face a tough LH hitter and not need to pull your starter? Pretty great.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Kyle Funkhouser, the P from Louisville, who was the only 1st round pick not to sign last year, went in the 4th round, #115 overall.
Proof positive that you should always sign if you're a first rounder.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
olldflame wrote:Kyle Funkhouser, the P from Louisville, who was the only 1st round pick not to sign last year, went in the 4th round, #115 overall.
Proof positive that you should always sign if you're a first rounder.
I'm not going to say "always" because everyone has their own priorities. I totally agree that not signing with the idea of improving your draft position is fools gold for any first round pick.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After 10 rounds, we still have had only Kiralloff and Lee picked. Alex is gone. Khalil has a tough decision to make. I'm feeling pretty confident that the rest of our recruiting class will be in Lynchburg this Fall. A very good class without Lee and a great one with him.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:2.8 million is a figure you look at and figure with some smart and conservative investments you could be set for life. $554.000, not so much. The college degree starts to look better. In the case of Lee, I also think that whether he is really ready to give up pitching, which would surely be what happens if he signs, could play a factor. How great would it be to be able to bring a lefty with great stuff in from CF to face a tough LH hitter and not need to pull your starter? Pretty great.
Don't forget taxes, agent fees, lawyers, etc will eat up 40-50 percent off the top, leaving substantially less to invest. Then you have new car, subsidizing minor league pay for two or more years...if you are going to sign a bonus like that you need to get as much as you can in deferred compensation.
By LUDad
Could Khalil Lee turn into the next A. J. Puk? Known best for his Bat in high school. Matured into great left handed pitcher in college.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Could Khalil Lee turn into the next A. J. Puk? Known best for his Bat in high school. Matured into great left handed pitcher in college.
The big difference (pun intended) is that Puk is 6'7", while Lee is 5'10". If Khalil comes to LU, I can see him being a contributor on the mound, but there is little question that whatever professional future he has will be as a CF.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
In round 16 and no LU players taken...only I think 4 or 5 are on MLB.com's draft tracker list

I tend to agree with olldflame on Lee...unless he has some absolutely dominant stuff on the mound, he is making his money gunning runners down from the outfield
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
In Non-Liberty draftee news, I feel a little bad for Troy Rallings of Washington today...hopefully he has an outstanding career despite his draft position.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]