This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While Coastal pretty much had their way with our entire staff a few weeks ago, the one exception was a pitcher who has had a horrible year, but pitched 3 shutout innings in game 2 of that series; Caleb Evans. I personally would love to see DeGroat go a strong 6 and Herndon close it out. Coastal looked invincible against us earlier but not so much in this tourney. We also put it on a tee for them by starting Bean in one game and the still struggling Herndon in another. DeGroat was the other starter, and he got knocked around too.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Georgia just beat Florida to win Super Regional in softball. Thus LU can beat CCU if we come to play. And not walk a bunch of batters and make errors on defense.
I like our chances
And score more runs. :) The problem is that we have been walking a bunch a batters the whole season. Again, anything can happen in a short series, and no one hopes we win any more than I do, but the odds are not in our favor.
By LUDad
flameshaw wrote:I don't understand how a 20 year old kid can't start a game with 3+ days of rest and be effective. I know it was in the "ancient days", but in the 60's and 70's MLB pitchers would all pitch on 3 days rest. Everyone had a 4 man rotation and they had less arm trouble than they do today.
I don't really like to give personal illustrations,(I successfully managed not to in the Buck Calvert thread, but it was difficult), in high school I pitched 4 innings on Monday and pitched 12 innings on Friday of the same week, with no ill affects and successful outcomes.
No one cared about pitch counts until the late 80's early 90"s, it was how many innings you pitched. I think Nolan Ryan threw 235 pitches in one game and 140+ in another game at age 42.
Hope we have a big day tomorrow. We have already had a much better tourney than I expected. I haven't watched any of it, think I am going to sit it out tomorrow too. CCU is the better team, but anything can happen in a short series.
DeGroat has a young pitchers arm also. Very little mileage on it compared to most kids these days.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I noticed the attendance is not good at the tournament. I believe they have yet to hit 1000 for any game.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
flameshaw wrote:I don't understand how a 20 year old kid can't start a game with 3+ days of rest and be effective. I know it was in the "ancient days", but in the 60's and 70's MLB pitchers would all pitch on 3 days rest. Everyone had a 4 man rotation and they had less arm trouble than they do today.
I don't really like to give personal illustrations,(I successfully managed not to in the Buck Calvert thread, but it was difficult), in high school I pitched 4 innings on Monday and pitched 12 innings on Friday of the same week, with no ill affects and successful outcomes.
No one cared about pitch counts until the late 80's early 90"s, it was how many innings you pitched. I think Nolan Ryan threw 235 pitches in one game and 140+ in another game at age 42.
Hope we have a big day tomorrow. We have already had a much better tourney than I expected. I haven't watched any of it, think I am going to sit it out tomorrow too. CCU is the better team, but anything can happen in a short series.

DeGroat has a young pitchers arm also. Very little mileage on it compared to most kids these days.
Heck the pitchers in the early 1900s would pitch a double header :D I believe DeGroat will start and hopefully give the team 4-5 innings and Herndon come in relief and hopefully give a few innings and see we're we go from there.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I noticed the attendance is not good at the tournament. I believe they have yet to hit 1000 for any game.
Yeah, but it is a crappy stadium and is at a neutral site. :) You gotta give it to the BSC, first class all the way. :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When it comes to selecting championship sites, the BSC is the worst conference in the NCAA. They have no common sense or business sense. They are more satisfied with some high school type facility than they are some nice facility. If event draws 300 they more happy than if it draws 3000.
I wish NCAA would set standards for conference championship venues and enforce them.
There are high schools with better facilities than what BSC uses.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
DeGroat's stats from a year ago when he was a senior in high school:
Posted a 10-0 record with a 0.38 ERA and 119 strikeouts over 72 innings in 2015
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... erID=10526
By LUDad
Grabowski presents an additional option for the flames the rest of this season & next year. If we get in a jam and want a change of pace for part of an inning, or want a situational righty lefty matckup he could take the mound temporarily and save an arm for later in the game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Im going to largely ignore ballcoach's...well...opinion...except to say that there is probably more of a process involved in selecting sites than we realize...

Anyway, I rather prefer having the one game championship instead of having to beat someone and THEN play a championship game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have talked with some "insiders". Believe me the BSC is very weak when it comes to selecting sites.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
are these "insiders" in the room when the decision is made?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have talked with some "insiders". Believe me the BSC is very weak when it comes to selecting sites.
Obviously the "Donald" was one of those. :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Wow, we finally start to get to this guy and Murray waves Britt around on a frozen rope single right at the LF. Out by a mile. Rally over.

Oh, BTW 1-0 Coastal on a HR by Paez. Bottom of the 5th.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
DeGroat doing an amazing job. One run through 7, and he has only thrown 95 pitches. Problem is, Morrison is in now and he is as close to unhittable as it gets for 2-3 innings. Can he go 4?
Last edited by olldflame on May 28th, 2016, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
DeGroat with the performance of the year right now...but we are down to our last three outs
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
DeGroat moweed through the heart of their order. We have the top of the order coming up in the 9th to try and find a way to scratch out a run.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jack DeGroat doesn't deserve to lose this game.
100% agree...this would be the quintessential hard luck loss for him
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
and Britt hits into a double play to end it...smh...
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]