This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This game literally came down to 1 pitch...the 3rd inning HR by Paez
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jack DeGroat doesn't deserve to lose this game.
100% agree...this would be the quintessential hard luck loss for him
It wasn't hard luck. It was coaching running us out of an inning where we could've scored if we were patient.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Incredible performance from degroat. Coastal pitchers threw well but that home plate umpire had multiple brutal calls especially on strike 3 to artis in the 9th. Very bad decision on the runner earlier in the game. Britt had no shot to score there.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That definitely factors in as well Jon...no way Britt should have been sent around 3rd in the 5th on that single...now if that one splits the gap...absolutely send him
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I watched this game on the bus on the way back from the ACC tourney. Jason Murray made one bone headed coaching decision by sending the runner against an arm in Marks that I've seen live and I wouldn't send someone if that ball was on the warning track, the dude has a hose and as a coach you have to know your guy has no shot at making that if marks is even remotely close enough to make that throw. once again we coached our way out of a win. the players aren't to blame for this one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In the 5th inning we could have had runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out, and their pitcher starting to tire. Instead our 3rd base coach sends a runner home on a play where the only way he possibly scores is if Coastal bungles it. These guys are too solid a team to try to pull that crap. Britt is out by a mile and the rally was effectively over. You can call it aggressive if you want. I call it stupid.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think we are all in agreement that that call was the wrong one olldflame...I hope that one sticks in Coach Murray's mind not only on the ride back to Lynchburg, but all summer and into the fall as well
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:I hope that one sticks in Coach Murray's mind not only on the ride back to Lynchburg, but all summer and into the fall as well
Why?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
1 - 0 :cry: Awesome performance from DeGroat in front of a national audience!! The better team won today. CCU played a perfect game and showed why they are #19 in the country. Sending Britt was a very bad decision. The leftfielder had the ball in his glove before Britt even touched 3rd base. Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

We can cross Alex Kiriloff off the recruit list as he has been invited to the MLB draft which indicates he will be a 1st round pick. Hopefully the rest of the class coming in will show up on campus even though a few will probably be drafted in the late rounds. We do have a good class coming in and the team for next year will have all but one of the field players coming back(Britt). I don't see Yaycyk or Shepherd getting drafter, maybe Shepherd but it will be a very late round.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I hope that one sticks in Coach Murray's mind not only on the ride back to Lynchburg, but all summer and into the fall as well
Why?
Yeah, how would that help? Maybe if it stuck in TOMAN'S mind something might be done about it, but I don't think anyone should hold their breath on that one.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I guess my thinking is that the one who made the call (Murray) should have to think about the fact that it was his call that led to Britt geting thrown out, killing the one significant rally we had in the game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Fire all the coaches before they get back to Lynchburg. The 3rd base coach made a very bad call, (obviously Toman's fault), they don't get any coaching as it is, especially the pitchers. Seems like we have a lot of experts here who have never played the game at all, or certainly not at a D1 level. It is pretty easy to be an expert, when you have never been between the white lines, in any sport. :roll:
We definitely under achieved this year, so did some other teams, it happens. We had lots of injuries, (probably Toman's fault too), lost our best pitcher at the end of the year. We played very good in the conference tournament, when it would have been easy to mail it in. Proud of the guy's efforts this weekend, we did better than any of us had a chance to believe we would. DeGroat pitched a very good game and was impressive, (especially for a freshman with no coaching). We lost to a better team.
Hope JB can get us a good staff of coaches together by next year, I am sure he will get a lot of excellent advice on who to hire. If not, he can always get it here. That has to give him some major comfort. :)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hooray for sarcasm...
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
After the tourney run I can agree with flameshaw if you didn't bring up inurses. We were actually very healthy. Cole was a big loss but that's it. I don't call Dylan allen or Zach clinton a big loss and we didn't see the other reliever. It was a bad year overall and I believe we need a fresh approach at pitching coach. Had we have been able to make adjustments with bean Herndon and Stafford (all guys that have had proven success) this season could have been a 40 win playoff campaign. Instead they all regress.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A cursory look at the roster shows the following players as not draft eligible and possibilities to return for 2017:

Dylan Allen
DJ Artis
Josh Barrick
Josh Close
Jack DeGroat
Zach Helsel
Jon Letchworth
Jack Morris
Sam Urban

That's 9 players from this year's roster and we have 19 draft eligible juniors
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Fire all the coaches before they get back to Lynchburg. The 3rd base coach made a very bad call, (obviously Toman's fault), they don't get any coaching as it is, especially the pitchers. Seems like we have a lot of experts here who have never played the game at all, or certainly not at a D1 level. It is pretty easy to be an expert, when you have never been between the white lines, in any sport. :roll:
We definitely under achieved this year, so did some other teams, it happens. We had lots of injuries, (probably Toman's fault too), lost our best pitcher at the end of the year. We played very good in the conference tournament, when it would have been easy to mail it in. Proud of the guy's efforts this weekend, we did better than any of us had a chance to believe we would. DeGroat pitched a very good game and was impressive, (especially for a freshman with no coaching). We lost to a better team.
Hope JB can get us a good staff of coaches together by next year, I am sure he will get a lot of excellent advice on who to hire. If not, he can always get it here. That has to give him some major comfort. :)
:boring
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Of the 19 draft eligible ju juniors I think most of them will return.

We need to win enough games next season to make NCAA tournament regardless of whether we win BSC tournament or not
By LUDad
Question. Was anyone at the game where they could see the entire field on the throw home? On TV you could see half way between 1st & 2nd. I never saw Scarborough enter the picture frame. The throw to home air mailed the cutoff man by 10-12ft. Seems like Scarborough could have taken 2nd. Didn't end up making any difference, but could have if a hit had followed.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:Question. Was anyone at the game where they could see the entire field on the throw home? On TV you could see half way between 1st & 2nd. I never saw Scarborough enter the picture frame. The throw to home air mailed the cutoff man by 10-12ft. Seems like Scarborough could have taken 2nd. Didn't end up making any difference, but could have if a hit had followed.
Scarborough should have been standing on 2nd. The 3rd base coach was out of position as he was actually moving toward the outfield as he gave the windmill sign. He should have been 20 feet from home plate and if need be put up a last minute stop sign. By the time Britt turned 3rd Murray was already out of Britt's view.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Here is the link to the AD announcement of the recruiting class we signed in November.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 52&TeamID=

We have known for a long time it was a long shot that Kiralloff would ever make it to the mountain and now that he has been invited to attend the draft, it is certain he will go high and sign a pro contract. There is plenty of other talent there however. If the lefty Khalil Lee signs, it will still be a GREAT class, and even if he doesn't it can be a very good one.

The upside of this disappointing season is that a lot of the Juniors will probably return, led by Yacyk, Kawalo, Grabowski, and hopefully Will Shephard. I think the pros know how talented Bean is, but will he be drafted even after 2 awful seasons? If not, does he sign as a free agent? Chances of regaining his form if he returns seem small. Whatever you think of Quinn overall as a pitching coach, whatever he has been doing with Parker has obviously not worked. Probably time to give someone else a shot at him.
Last edited by olldflame on May 29th, 2016, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think Bean returns. Hopefully he can find strike zone.

A new pitching coach may be needed on the mountain.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]