This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
10-7 now. Need to get this one over if we want a chance tomorrow, game is dragging on........
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The definition of insanity is doing something over and over and expecting a different result. I give you Quarterly and Clouse. :x
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU got out of a bases loaded jam in the 9th for the WIN.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Happiest guy out there has to be Dalton Britt. I would have hated to be him if that error to start the 9th had cost us the game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
How about Grabowsky's day. 2-4 with a grand slam and 6 RBI and then he goes to the mound to finish the game and get the win.
By LUDad
A huge upset knocked CCU out of a chance to host in football playoffs. Against all odds, the table is set again in baseball...Can we do it?
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:How about Grabowsky's day. 2-4 with a grand slam and 6 RBI and then he goes to the mound to finish the game and get the win.
And his fielding saved the tying run from scoring.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It will be nice if we can beat CCU. Always good when a low seed wins.

Anyone have any idea who starts on mound tomorrow ?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We have Bean, Herndon, Murphy, Letchworth, Helsel, Evans, Gamble, Simpson, Bertsch (who to my knowledge has not appeared all season), Stafford and only if necessary for a couple innings...DeGroat and maybe Mitchell (although not likely since he is on three days rest)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:It will be nice if we can beat CCU. Always good when a low seed wins.

Anyone have any idea who starts on mound tomorrow ?
I would think DeGroat, but it would be asking a lot for him to go more than 5 or 6 on short rest. Who do we go to in the pen? We have Murphy, Helsel, Gamble and Herndon available. If DeGroat isn't ready to go, maybe you roll the dice with the veteran Hernden. He has looked better lately.

Notice who I did NOT mention?
By LUDad
My guess is Herndon to start. Then Murphy, Mitchell, if we need a quick out or two in a difficult situation. Then DeGroat to pull an Ashton Perrett. This, and a couple bucks can get you a cup of coffee.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:It's DeGroat.
Good. He was great on Tuesday and he is accustomed to being a starter now, so even if they figure he can only go a few innings, he will probably be more effective starting than relieving. I would be ecstatic if he could give us 5 or 6 more like the 7 he pitched a few days ago.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:A huge upset knocked CCU out of a chance to host in football playoffs. Against all odds, the table is set again in baseball...Can we do it?
Coastal actually hosted their opening round football playoff games the last 3 years, despite losing to us the last 2. If we can pull this off tomorrow I would say a better comparison is our basketball team beating them on their court in the first game of the tourney in 2013 and then going on to win it all.
Last edited by olldflame on May 27th, 2016, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Does he have enough rest ?
\

I guess in baseball parlance they would call it 3 days rest, but it will have been over 90 hours between his last pitch Tuesday and his first tomorrow. That's 4 days in my book. It is less than he is accustomed to, so they need to watch him closely.
By LUDad
olldflame wrote:
LUDad wrote:A huge upset knocked CCU out of a chance to host in football playoffs. Against all odds, the table is set again in baseball...Can we do it?
Coastal actually hosted their opening round games the last 3 years.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. To clarify, I was thinking of CCU losing a national seed in football & the hosting that goes with that seed. Likewise, they are now in the conversation to host a baseball regional. Again, a loss will end any hope for that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Depends really on his between starts routine really. Obviously with it being tournament time it's going to be adjusted to a degree, but if he is on his routine he will be on his fourth day between starts. Hey Jon, you've been around baseball a bit more than I have...what would you think about between start management?
By Jonathan Carone
It's three days rest right now and he's the ace of the staff currently. Ideally we'd have a fourth starter that we could trust but we don't. Pitching in this game is in the job description.

The good news is he threw a ton of fastballs on Tuesday which is contrary to how our pitchers normally pitch. He won't be as worn out because of the lack of breaking balls. He's also used to pitching on shorter rest like this because he made two state title runs in high school and pitched on similar rest.

Another positive is our pitchers have been so bad this year that no one's over worked. He's only thrown 63 innings so it's not like he's been out there stretching innings for three months. Compare that to the average 84 innings our starters have thrown the previous three years and he's rested overall.

Ideally we're looking at DeGroat for 5-6. If he can get seven even better. Poetically, Carson comes in and closes down a win.

All that said, if we play like we did today, we'll get the pants beat off of us. We have to have a near perfect game from everyone to win tomorrow. We're in the championship game, but we finished 8th in the league and are playing the league champs who blew our pants off at home. It's a massive uphill battle and if we can pull it off, it'll be a giant feather in the big guy's cap.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't understand how a 20 year old kid can't start a game with 3+ days of rest and be effective. I know it was in the "ancient days", but in the 60's and 70's MLB pitchers would all pitch on 3 days rest. Everyone had a 4 man rotation and they had less arm trouble than they do today.
I don't really like to give personal illustrations,(I successfully managed not to in the Buck Calvert thread, but it was difficult), in high school I pitched 4 innings on Monday and pitched 12 innings on Friday of the same week, with no ill affects and successful outcomes.
No one cared about pitch counts until the late 80's early 90"s, it was how many innings you pitched. I think Nolan Ryan threw 235 pitches in one game and 140+ in another game at age 42.
Hope we have a big day tomorrow. We have already had a much better tourney than I expected. I haven't watched any of it, think I am going to sit it out tomorrow too. CCU is the better team, but anything can happen in a short series.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Georgia just beat Florida to win Super Regional in softball. Thus LU can beat CCU if we come to play. And not walk a bunch of batters and make errors on defense.
I like our chances
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]