This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good article in paper today about the pitching staff. Looks as if we are going to switch roles of some starters/relievers. At least that's how I read it.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Good article in paper today about the pitching staff. Looks as if we are going to switch roles of some starters/relievers. At least that's how I read it.
Sounds like shuffling the deck chairs of the Titanic :D
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Good article in paper today about the pitching staff. Looks as if we are going to switch roles of some starters/relievers. At least that's how I read it.
Sounds like shuffling the deck chairs of the Titanic :D
Hopefully Toman isn't one of the survivors.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
2-0 chickens bottom 4. Only 2 combined hits, but Coastal's was a yard ball
By LUDad
Looks like Carson may be getting his command back. A pitcher can recover physically in about a year but most take closer to a year and a half before regaining command. Look like he getting close.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And just like that the wheels have come off
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Something has to be done about the pitching staff. If we have any guys behind the bench that are pitchers and have not pitched much, if any, give them the ball. I don't think they could be any worse. I just looked at the box score for today's "throwers".( I not call them pitchers.). Line on them is terrible. 9-0, 7 runs in one inning.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
10-0 now in top of 7th. We have issued 7 walks, and allowed 7 hits. meanwhile at the plate, we have 1 hit thru first 6 innings. Is there a "run rule" in college baseball ?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll say this...the line's not good, but you can't just look at the number of runs. You look at earned vs unearned, number of hits, number of walks...you gotta break down an inning to its individual parts.

A 7 run inning with 3 earned because of errors and walks is different from a 7 run inning with all 7 runs being earned
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll say this...the line's not good, but you can't just look at the number of runs. You look at earned vs unearned, number of hits, number of walks...you gotta break down an inning to its individual parts.

A 7 run inning with 3 earned because of errors and walks is different from a 7 run inning with all 7 runs being earned
Well that makes me feel better. Thanks! But just for an FYI, all 14 runs were earned according to the box score.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It's a really bad team with almost no d1 pitchers. Why is anyone surprised at this point?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I'll say this...the line's not good, but you can't just look at the number of runs. You look at earned vs unearned, number of hits, number of walks...you gotta break down an inning to its individual parts.

Well that makes me feel better. Thanks! But just for an FYI, all 14 runs were earned according to the box score.
Your sarcasm is noted...

Looking inside the pitching numbers I see a few things:

1) Herndon is finally showing signs of life but way too late in the season. If the Herndon from the first four innings was playing all year, he probably does a lot better overall
2) Most of the damage was done against three pitchers. Herndon who has had control and psychological issues all year, Grabowski who should never have pitched in the first place, and Helsel who has been very up and down as well. Scott and Gamble had pretty decent outings
3) I think we do have some d1 level talent, we just don't have d1 level coaching and player development
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
jinxy wrote:It's a really bad team with almost no d1 pitchers. Why is anyone surprised at this point?
Dumb comment. This was supposed to be one of the most talented teams we had with tons of arms and food velocity. You can't judge how a kid pitches in our program. Just look at Adam Parks. The kid was drafted after pitching 9 innings with a 12 era, and a bunch of walks for us in 2014. He is now dominating in AA for the Rangers and will probably get his chance to make the big leagues - they already had him and Cordell in big league spring training this spring. And don't think it was something the Rangers magically did. The kid would go out and dominate in summer ball too - was listed a top prospect in the Valley League.

So pitchers get hurt, go backwards on performance constantly over the years, one of our next big leaguers could perform everywhere but in our program.
By WestPAGator
BJWilliams wrote:
flamehunter wrote:

Your sarcasm is noted...

Looking inside the pitching numbers I see a few things:

1) Herndon is finally showing signs of life but way too late in the season. If the Herndon from the first four innings was playing all year, he probably does a lot better overall
2) Most of the damage was done against three pitchers. Herndon who has had control and psychological issues all year, Grabowski who should never have pitched in the first place, and Helsel who has been very up and down as well. Scott and Gamble had pretty decent outings
3) I think we do have some d1 level talent, we just don't have d1 level coaching and player development

Very thoughtful comment and I've been saying that forever. We do not have D1 coaching. This is our problem. Ask any of the players and they will tell you that they receive NO coaching or player development here. HC tells them that they don't honor him when they lose and that he doesn't like losers. Toman has to go.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The pitching for sure has been a complete disappointment. We have @ 10 guys who, when they throw the ball over the plate, get hammered as indicated by their .300+ batting avg against. Then you throw in "the walks" :shock: Herndon survived only because he had his atom ball working - their were some very loud outs. CCU is like a major league team with a lot of talent when compared to our guys. They have 4-5 guys with 10+ HRs and .350+ BA. Your up ballcoach :D
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
I have been saying it for years ,Toman is not the guy to move the program. Need a guy that understands the culture and will create a culture that reflects the LU mission. That's not say he is not a believer or he is not a good Christian man. I have said it and will stick to it , culture is the problem. I hope Jeff will bring in the next guy that will understand the LU mission or at least have a LU guy on his staff. I'm just saying.... I forget the verse but "where much is given much is required. " The LU players have been giving much and the fans around the program are correct in expecting much from players and coaches. If the staff is not coaching then shame on them and that would be enough to run them off, period.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That's Luke 12:48. :fineprint I use that verse at every CFAW presentation, and the parents love it.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Said it before and I would say it again. LU needs Coach Royer back. I would have loved to see Toman recruit and Royer coach - that would have been a winning combo. Royer is an amazing coach and gets a lot out his players. Don't believe me - research what he has done since he left - he's now at Grove City College - a team with like 2 returning players that hadn't won in years...
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
No. There's a reason why Royer is coaching there. His 57-55 record in the Big South doesn't scream winner. At all.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I would have to concur adam
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
I just hope you Flame boys can now see just how out classed your talent is and how much better the coaching staff at CC is. If you remember at the first of the year Toman was talking about how good this team was and how deep it was. Yeah OK...RIGHT!! This coaching staff has to go! Sometimes you just don't appreciate what you had until it's gone......
By WestPAGator
Chippy wrote:The pitching for sure has been a complete disappointment. We have @ 10 guys who, when they throw the ball over the plate, get hammered as indicated by their .300+ batting avg against. Then you throw in "the walks" :shock: Herndon survived only because he had his atom ball working - their were some very loud outs. CCU is like a major league team with a lot of talent when compared to our guys. They have 4-5 guys with 10+ HRs and .350+ BA. Your up ballcoach :D

Also remember we would have more HRs if our ballpark wasn't so darned big. Why did they build it bigger than some major league parks? PNC is only 390 to dead center.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]