This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
WestPAGator wrote:
Chippy wrote:The pitching for sure has been a complete disappointment. We have @ 10 guys who, when they throw the ball over the plate, get hammered as indicated by their .300+ batting avg against. Then you throw in "the walks" :shock: Herndon survived only because he had his atom ball working - their were some very loud outs. CCU is like a major league team with a lot of talent when compared to our guys. They have 4-5 guys with 10+ HRs and .350+ BA. Your up ballcoach :D

Also remember we would have more HRs if our ballpark wasn't so darned big. Why did they build it bigger than some major league parks? PNC is only 390 to dead center.
It's 410' to left center - the "Northside Notch".
By Letsgoflames
Trottalot wrote:I just hope you Flame boys can now see just how out classed your talent is and how much better the coaching staff at CC is. If you remember at the first of the year Toman was talking about how good this team was and how deep it was. Yeah OK...RIGHT!! This coaching staff has to go! Sometimes you just don't appreciate what you had until it's gone......
We have given JB a decade, Jerry built all programs first class facilities and provide unmatched salaries & budgets. Time for a review of how this Athletic Administration has utilized the resources. When struggle to compete in BSC get real about FBS, obviously this Athletic Administration can't even beat CCU for a Sunbelt invite.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We hit well enough to win most games this season. We have no pitching. 7 walks today.

I think LCA has better pitchers.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
First, Herndon is almost 2 years removed from surgery. It was April 2014 I believe. Second, newold-school I trust my judgment and player evaluation. One Adam parks doesn't make your point. For every Adam parks there's 10 teufels andrew Wilson josh richardson Steven Evans John niggli Jared Lyons keegan linza etc that performed at a high level in college and went nowhere in pro ball. Do I agree that we don't develop players as well as wearly should. Yes but it's not as much to blame as you make it to be. This talent level is way down on the mound and we have very little power in the lineup. We only have about 4 guys that havemail d1 stuff IMHO. You can somewhat blame those guys performances and lack of development on quinn. The rest are just duds that can't pitch at this level. Period. Bottom line is we won a lot of games before with the same lack of development. Suddenly this year we lose way more because the lack of development??? It's the talent level that's down, it's brutally obvious. The only person that touted the talent was Toman. We didn't get rave outside reviews. Most places had us 3rd or 4th. Finally, no way on Royer. You better brace for another year of toman. I'm sure he will gut the pitching staff and I've heard quinns seat is warming every week. Toman has earned another year in my opinion, but I would want to see significant improvement
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
Our ballpark is pretty average or even below on depth.: Radford, high point, presby, Winthrop, CSU, and long wood - are all 400 to center. Campbell is the same 395, and I can't find anything on gwebb or ashevilles dimensions. Coastal is 390
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We not looking good. 2 balls hit by CC that should have been caught. We had bases loaded no outs. Scored 1 run on ground out.

6-1 CC 2nd inning
2 errore
Last edited by ballcoach15 on May 8th, 2016, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By WestPAGator
Toman has this team so screwed up. Shepherd should be in RF, Yacyk should be on first base! What is wrong with JT?
By youngflamer
Give up 43 runs in a three game series at home in a conference series. Unbelievably embarrassing! I say again, the coaches that Barber have brought to Liberty in the past 11 years are not division 1 caliber. They were fired (football and basketball) at their previous head coaching position or was an assistant coach who had no proven record as a head coach. We should dominate the BSC with our world renown reputation but it's not happening. Barber must go first then the rest of the coaches he has brought to LU. In eleven years his coaches have won only one championship each. Tell Jerry Jr. this guy must go.
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
WOW!! I think this was a big statement series for CC. I believe the coaches and their team wanted to pound Liberty and show them who is and has been the dominant team in the BS. Since they are leaving the BS they may never play each other again or for a long time; but after this weekend that would be fine by Liberty. That was awful and Toman should resign; he and the program is a total embarrassment to the university.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:WOW!! I think this was a big statement series for CC. I believe the coaches and their team wanted to pound Liberty and show them who is and has been the dominant team in the BS. Since they are leaving the BS they may never play each other again or for a long time; but after this weekend that would be fine by Liberty. That was awful and Toman should resign; he and the program is a total embarrassment to the university.
Well, they certainly hadn't been THAT dominant in the past few years. Ever since I heard Toman mock our golf coach at a flames club meeting, I've disliked him. Then I read his comments after the game; he is a joke. The word is out in public circles about the lack of coaching that the team gets; local coaches wouldn't encourage their players to play for Toman. I know a former pro that lives locally and he indicated that there are players seeking coaching from outside sources since they aren't getting the guidance they need from staff.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:WOW!! I think this was a big statement series for CC. I believe the coaches and their team wanted to pound Liberty and show them who is and has been the dominant team in the BS. Since they are leaving the BS they may never play each other again or for a long time; but after this weekend that would be fine by Liberty. That was awful and Toman should resign; he and the program is a total embarrassment to the university.
Yes, I'm sure they are happy to make some kind of statement against Liberty on their way out, because they certainly didn't in FB or MBB. There is no questión this has been a very bad year for our baseball team. Coastal has been really good for a long time, and baseball is a sport where they should do very well in the SBC from day one.
Last edited by olldflame on May 9th, 2016, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Wow. That was ugly.

They had a fireworks display going on after Friday night's game. I know because I was in a movie when it started booming. Glad they had something to draw a crowd out to the game. You have to wonder at this point if the players are starting to give up. I don't know how things are in that locker room/dugout, but I have to imagine that if some of what is being said on this board regarding the coaching or lack thereof is true, then those players have to be downtrodden.
By Letsgoflames
At some point Jerry will focus on barber's inability to deliver a program that performs any where close to the facilities, resources & salaries LU graciously supports Athletics with! We have 5-star support from Jerry and yet FB, MBB & BB are not close to where they should be after a decade of this Administration.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I noticed yesterday that we did not seem to have the confidence that CCU had. The first inning set the tone for the game. We get 2 quick outs in top of 1st. Then CCU scores a run and I believe left the bases loaded. Then we load bases with 0 outs in bottom of first. Clean up hitter strikes out with bases loaded, then we score on a weak ground ball. Then CCU gets out of jam.

Ball game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id hold off on FB and MBB at this point LGF...MBB is in a rebuilding mode and trending in the right direction. FB will be in the first season with all Gill recruits so we shall see how he does with his own players. BB...Barber is going to have to make a tough decision or two about that as soon as the season is over and heading into this summer. Im not sure what Toman's contract status is at this moment but you have to think they will go under the hood for this one after a season like this (although Flameshaw may probably disagree)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
They had a fireworks display going on after Friday night's game. I know because I was in a movie when it started booming.
We might have been in the same theater. I heard the same thing Friday night.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Ah, I was at the 10:45 showing. Thankfully the fireworks started before the movie. Movie was obviously more entertaining than the game. LOL
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]