This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
up 4-1 in the 7th
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames win 4-2 and Mitchell goes the distance
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames lose 9-7. DeGroat left in one batter too long I think. Bring Quarterley in after the walk and he likely turns that DP and we get out with only the one run allowed. instead, PC gets new life and they explode for 5 runs...oy...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Not good. We should not be losing to PC.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Flames lose 9-7. DeGroat left in one batter too long I think. Bring Quarterley in after the walk and he likely turns that DP and we get out with only the one run allowed. instead, PC gets new life and they explode for 5 runs...oy...
The starters almost have to go 9 innings every game. The bullpen stinks! Probably don't keep separate ERA for the bullpen but it's got to be over 7.00, hence our record.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
According to paper this is first time we have ever lost to PC.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:According to paper this is first time we have ever lost to PC.
Not saying it wasn't a bad loss, but especially in baseball, it was inevitable it would happen. Presby is better this year than they have been. They swept Winthrop a couple of weeks ago and are 11-4 at home.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Chippy the problem is (at least I feel this way) that Toman oftentimes isn't thinking situationally. Ive lost count of the times we have gone one batter or one pitch too long with a starter and could have averted some bad innings if there had been a bit more anticipatory or proactive thinking instead of reactive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Chippy the problem is (at least I feel this way) that Toman oftentimes isn't thinking situationally. Ive lost count of the times we have gone one batter or one pitch too long with a starter and could have averted some bad innings if there had been a bit more anticipatory or proactive thinking instead of reactive.
I'll agree that Toman has a history of sticking too long with his starters, but this year it's hard to blame him IMHO. You use the words "situationally" and "anticipatory", but you are pretty much saying he should be prescient. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's really easy to say we made a change one batter toó late when you know the result. In this case, his closer came in needing to get 9 outs. That's stretching it as it is, and anyone else you bring in earlier is unfortunately a total crap shoot.

The bullpen has been taking the flack, but IMHO the failure of our veterens, Herndon, and especially Bean, to step up as starters has forced us to go with others and taken away options in the pen.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I have to say that whoever the PC coach is deserves a lot of props for finding any decent players that would play on that horrible high-school field they play on. The only thing worse, are their announcers.................... worst I have ever heard, and that is saying something.
Hate to be overly negative about an opponent, but it is well deserved in this case.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:Where is Cole?
Paging Damien Sordelett...please pick up the red courtesy telephone...
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
well we were up 4-1, now we are down 5-4. Maybe should have went to the bullpen a little sooner.
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
krh44 wrote:Where is Cole?
Paging Damien Sordelett...please pick up the red courtesy telephone...
Arm issue - forearm tightness. Could be absolutely nothing, but a lot of guys have this issue as a precursor to some Tommy John type issues.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Flames down to their final strike tie it at 6 in the 9th
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Looks like we are going to lose this one in the 11th, can't watch any more. Errors, past balls, base running errors, poor pitching, etc. Sloppy game for sure. Go up two runs in the 9th, after being down to or last strike and then let them tie the game in the bottom half. UGLY. How many more days until football season?
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Looks like we are going to lose this one in the 11th, can't watch any more. Errors, past balls, base running errors, poor pitching, etc. Sloppy game for sure. Go up two runs in the 9th, after being down to or last strike and then let them tie the game in the bottom half. UGLY. How many more days until football season?

By youngflamer
I saw the game at Richmond this week . It was embarrassing to watch all the mistakes. Giving up so many two out runs. Bringing in a right hander to face a left handed batter with the bases loaded and two outs, when you have a lefty in the bullpen warming up. Gives up a three run double. We win the Big South three years ago, instead of building on it, we go down hill in the talent level.
Toman and all the coaches brought in by Barber have underachieved. We have all a school needs to attract top talented Christian athletes, but we are just mediocre at best in the BSC, except track and field. Football, men's basketball, baseball, and softball have not and will not win the Big South again this year. All coached by those hired by Jeff Barber. Barber needs to be let go now. Not this summer, NOW.
By Trottalot
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I have to say that whoever the PC coach is deserves a lot of props for finding any decent players that would play on that horrible high-school field they play on. The only thing worse, are their announcers.................... worst I have ever heard, and that is saying something.
Hate to be overly negative about an opponent, but it is well deserved in this case.
Hey flameshaw; how's that new stadium and nice field and cool announcers working out for your team? Let me help you.....21-21.....7-8 in conference, 8th out of 11 teams. Not to Good!! Oh but you got Toman; who thinks he can coach in the SEC, ACC.....yea right. What a joke for a coach; wake up Liberty and FIRE this bum. :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Something is wrong but I not sure what. Pitching was supposed to be good if not great this season. Hitting has been better than I expected.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:I saw the game at Richmond this week . It was embarrassing to watch all the mistakes. Giving up so many two out runs. Bringing in a right hander to face a left handed batter with the bases loaded and two outs, when you have a lefty in the bullpen warming up. Gives up a three run double. We win the Big South three years ago, instead of building on it, we go down hill in the talent level.
Toman and all the coaches brought in by Barber have underachieved. We have all a school needs to attract top talented Christian athletes, but we are just mediocre at best in the BSC, except track and field. Football, men's basketball, baseball, and softball have not and will not win the Big South again this year. All coached by those hired by Jeff Barber. Barber needs to be let go now. Not this summer, NOW.
WOW, it goes from fire Toman to fire Barber right now. Tough crowd. No one on this board is more passionate about LU sports than me. But our overall athletic success has been pretty good, not where we would like it, but it looks like some things are turning. This will be a big year for Gill. If we don't win the BSC and get into the playoffs, his seat may get a little warm. Men's and Women's basketball have solid coaches. Baseball is off this year for a lot of reasons, but Toman is not going to be fired after this year. (UNC is having a bad year in baseball for them as well, it happens). It is hard to make a good case that Toman screws up much when it comes to X's and O's. Dot R has the #1 ranked softball player in the country coming in next year (last I heard).
I think a bit more patience is in order. I believe we should win every game in every sport, but at a D1 level, not many schools do. Not many dynasties in any sport now days. Take a deep breath.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Wow dropping 2 of 3 to presby. New low. Wheres the bag to put over the head. This program needs a major shakeup.
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
Ok, I'll agree that things are a crapshoot when it comes to baseball sometimes. But for the love of the game, please stop saying Toman doesn't screw up Xs and Os! It is an absolute fact that Toman is made fun of by scouts and other college coaches about how we coach players up and how we manage games. Behind closed doors, Toman will even admit himself that he doesn't believe in and will make fun of anyone on staff that tries to spend a lot of time with the current players on getting them better, rather than just staying in the office and calling recruits.

He is an amazing recruiter, but like we have said in the past....there will be years like this with Toman. He relies fully on recruiting and then throwing the gloves out and playing.

If the 1 or 2 people you talk to don't say the same thing, either ask them to actually be honest for once or get outside of your circle and find out what the majority of baseball people truly know and feel about our program.

Probably last post here. Care too much about this program and get worked up on this board with people who get most of their info from Coach himself, or a couple scouts who never say anything bad about him bc their friends. But our program has a very poor name in most baseball circles.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]