This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Baseballgirl16
What are the numbers on Coach Toman's contract? Salary and years remaining? I have heard through "the grapevine" but can't believe these are real??
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Okay, everyone here, you are Toman. You need a stopper with the game on the line, who would you pick from the bullpen to get out of trouble or save a game? Who do you have the utmost confidence in since you are the coach and the decision falls on your shoulders.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Trottalot wrote:
flameshaw wrote:I have to say that whoever the PC coach is deserves a lot of props for finding any decent players that would play on that horrible high-school field they play on. The only thing worse, are their announcers.................... worst I have ever heard, and that is saying something.
Hate to be overly negative about an opponent, but it is well deserved in this case.
Hey flameshaw; how's that new stadium and nice field and cool announcers working out for your team? Let me help you.....21-21.....7-8 in conference, 8th out of 11 teams. Not to Good!! Oh but you got Toman; who thinks he can coach in the SEC, ACC.....yea right. What a joke for a coach; wake up Liberty and FIRE this bum. :I chortle audibly.:
Just talked to Barber, said he would get right on it. :roll:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
newoldschool17 wrote:Ok, I'll agree that things are a crapshoot when it comes to baseball sometimes. But for the love of the game, please stop saying Toman doesn't screw up Xs and Os! It is an absolute fact that Toman is made fun of by scouts and other college coaches about how we coach players up and how we manage games. Behind closed doors, Toman will even admit himself that he doesn't believe in and will make fun of anyone on staff that tries to spend a lot of time with the current players on getting them better, rather than just staying in the office and calling recruits.

He is an amazing recruiter, but like we have said in the past....there will be years like this with Toman. He relies fully on recruiting and then throwing the gloves out and playing.

If the 1 or 2 people you talk to don't say the same thing, either ask them to actually be honest for once or get outside of your circle and find out what the majority of baseball people truly know and feel about our program.

Probably last post here. Care too much about this program and get worked up on this board with people who get most of their info from Coach himself, or a couple scouts who never say anything bad about him bc their friends. But our program has a very poor name in most baseball circles.
Maybe some specific examples regarding X's and O's would be nice. Interesting, I get information directly from scouts, crosscheckers, etc and I don't hear the same things. (We really aren't in the national spotlight and on the tip of every scout's tongue) We do get our share of players drafted for being such a terrible baseball program and having such a poor coach. Could we do better? Absolutely, but everyone can. I wouldn't get too worked up over it. Everyone's opinion has equal value (almost) :>). Play Basketball
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I don't think that anyone expected us to be .500 at this point in the year and 7-8 in the conference. This coming off a year where we lost to the eighth place team in the conference tourney. The year before we were in the regionals but went 0-2 after hopes of hosting a regional. Just sure want the answer is. I know we have a lot of talent that is supposed to be coming in next year but don't think all of those guys will make it to campus. Hopefully, they will make it to campus and turn things around. I think we have a good nucleus of guys but are missing a Cordell or Seiz type player. Pitching has been subpar and cost us a few games as well.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:I don't think that anyone expected us to be .500 at this point in the year and 7-8 in the conference. This coming off a year where we lost to the eighth place team in the conference tourney. The year before we were in the regionals but went 0-2 after hopes of hosting a regional. Just sure want the answer is. I know we have a lot of talent that is supposed to be coming in next year but don't think all of those guys will make it to campus. Hopefully, they will make it to campus and turn things around. I think we have a good nucleus of guys but are missing a Cordell or Seiz type player. Pitching has been subpar and cost us a few games as well.
We had two straight years of what I would call success in 2013 and 2014. Last year (2015), was our rebuilding year. We have the money, the programs, the facilities, and by most accounts the talent to succeed after one year of rebuilding. Sure, there aren't many dynasties out there on a national level, but guys we aren't talking about that. We are struggling in the Big South Conference. A conference CCU (our main competitor in most sports) is LEAVING. If you were to ask who has been the BSC 'Dynasty' in this sport in particular, most would answer CCU. Hands down. Why? They have success year-after-year-after-year. Even in their "rebuilding" years they play well by most standards. Why shouldn't we expect that now? Why is anyone here okay with a second straight down year in the Big South Conference??
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We should rule the BSC in every sport. Teams like PC for example, do not belong on the same field with LU, much less beat LU. We need to totally dominate the BSC.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We should rule the BSC in every sport. Teams like PC for example, do not belong on the same field with LU, much less beat LU. We need to totally dominate the BSC.
While this should be true given the available resources, it isn't the reality at Liberty.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Its all about culture. Culture beats X ing and O ing all day long. CCU has an amazing baseball culture from a guy that played there loves the place and never has talked about how bad the BSC was/is or that they are too good for the BSC. Heck they were number 2 in the country from the BSC. Talked to Gary a little while ago about his new stadium and he was so... well it's nice, we are so blessed, etc.. it was not hey .... it's the best is the world and BSC and we are ranked etc... That's what happens when you can remember what the old days were like. I have to admit the games at CCU are amazing. Fun night felt like a MiLB game. better than any LU game Ive been to, sorry.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If CCU games are like Minor League games, I am glad I have never been there. LU is bad enough with the between inning "goat ropings". I go to baseball games to watch baseball, no more-no less. I went to Greensboro Grasshopper game back when Bryce Harper was in Single A ball. They had so many goat ropings, dog and pony shows, I barely knew there was a baseball game that day. Now granted I know some people like the "outside interference." but I hate it.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Its all about culture. Culture beats X ing and O ing all day long. CCU has an amazing baseball culture from a guy that played there loves the place and never has talked about how bad the BSC was/is or that they are too good for the BSC. Heck they were number 2 in the country from the BSC. Talked to Gary a little while ago about his new stadium and he was so... well it's nice, we are so blessed, etc.. it was not hey .... it's the best is the world and BSC and we are ranked etc... That's what happens when you can remember what the old days were like. I have to admit the games at CCU are amazing. Fun night felt like a MiLB game. better than any LU game Ive been to, sorry.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time you attended an LU game? I've personally never been to a baseball game at CCU.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Its all about culture. Culture beats X ing and O ing all day long. CCU has an amazing baseball culture from a guy that played there loves the place and never has talked about how bad the BSC was/is or that they are too good for the BSC. Heck they were number 2 in the country from the BSC. Talked to Gary a little while ago about his new stadium and he was so... well it's nice, we are so blessed, etc.. it was not hey .... it's the best is the world and BSC and we are ranked etc... That's what happens when you can remember what the old days were like. I have to admit the games at CCU are amazing. Fun night felt like a MiLB game. better than any LU game Ive been to, sorry.
Couple of questions:
Who at LU has said that we are too good for the BSC? Was it a senior person inside the admin or athletic department? Did you personally hear them make the statement?
Who has said that our stadium is the "best in the world"?
I ask in all sincerity. I have made a lot of sacrificial investments in LU, both personally and financially. If those comments have been made, I would like to know. I will go and verify them personally and if true, will certainly reconsider future investment in time, money, etc. I also ask, because publicly and in some cases privately, senior people and some coaches have expressed nothing of the kind. Their communications are much more humble/thankful in nature.
I can agree that there are not many left on staff that can appreciate the "old days" (I only know of two). I do wish that there was more of a connection/appreciation for the early days. But as the University has grown, so has the need and numbers for different skill sets. Thank you.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
I will try to answer the questions. I have been to LU baseball games more LU games than CCU. LU games are OK but the CCU folks have it down and make it a fun event. Jeff should send our folks to see what they do. The other questions re the BSC. I have heard the Staff and AD say they have got to get out of the BSC it was not good for them. Due to one bid conference and the low RPI of the other schools. The Coaching staff was upset that the BSC tournament was at GWU last year. The comment made to me was no BSC should host but LU and CCU. In a nut shell the baseball culture is that of entitlement and they would learn from the boys of summer from the 70's and 80's. I'm just saying the Stuff is not what it's about its the culture. I would suggest bring some of the old guys back.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
There is so much I want to say right now. Unfortunately word in my profession gets around the horn fast and I know its pretty easy to figure out where I work and who I interact with. and since Toman reads this board I'm not going to say what I want to say. I'll leave it at this: Hunt is spot on about the culture differences between CCU and LU. and those of you who know me know It pains me to say nice things about CCU. I'm going to bow out of the Baseball forum for the rest of the season. those of you who need me know where to find me.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:I will try to answer the questions. I have been to LU baseball games more LU games than CCU. LU games are OK but the CCU folks have it down and make it a fun event. Jeff should send our folks to see what they do. The other questions re the BSC. I have heard the Staff and AD say they have got to get out of the BSC it was not good for them. Due to one bid conference and the low RPI of the other schools. The Coaching staff was upset that the BSC tournament was at GWU last year. The comment made to me was no BSC should host but LU and CCU. In a nut shell the baseball culture is that of entitlement and they would learn from the boys of summer from the 70's and 80's. I'm just saying the Stuff is not what it's about its the culture. I would suggest bring some of the old guys back.
I wish I could say this personally. You can't put inflection and tone in something you write. I will say this respectfully, you didn't really answer any of my questions. There is a big difference in saying that the BCS is holding us back and that we are too good for the BSC. I don't see where you heard anyone saying that we had the "best stadium in the world".
I have only been to one game at CCU and honestly I wasn't overly impressed. I am not saying the LU games are real impressive either, but then again, baseball is pretty boring to me. I follow one MLB team closely, but wouldn't watch any other team, if you paid me to watch. I am the same way about LU. Would never watch college baseball, except that I am connected with LU personally, one of the REAL OLD guys too. :shock:
I totally disagree with the entitlement :BS affecting our play or standings in the conference. Did entitlement hurt us when we won the conference a few years ago in baseball? Did entitlement have anything to do with the WBB team winning or not winning the conference almost every year? How about the track teams? Cross-Country? You can't have it both ways. If the sense of entitlement hurts us, it should hurt us in every sport, all the time. It clearly doesn't. The only way it could be a problem is possibly with a specific coach. And so far, that is not applicable, because the two sports that we complain about the most are football and baseball and both programs have had recent success. (MBB has sucked for so long, it is just expected that we will suck). Obviously, that seems to be in a solid turn around mode now.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]