This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Helsel got crushed...Herndon had a decent day at least...I mean walking 4 isn't great and I still think he needs to get his head right but the 2 runs he allowed came on one hit. Helsel walked the bases loaded, allowed a single and was charged with the 3 runs when Murphy gave up the double. This is...oy...that's all I got...oy...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames now down 10-6 but missed a huge inning when Taormina ripped a shot at 2nd and Artis got doubled off...hard to react to that when you are taught to freeze on a line drive
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
10-9 the final , terrible base running error by Britt in the 9th
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Just thinking about that krh...you gotta make sure you stay on the bag until they call time
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Anybody want to argue with my claim a month ago that this is the worst pitching staff in the last 15 years. Time for a change.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'd still say it's not the worst (and I've been following LU baseball for almost 13 years as a student and alum) but definitely significantly underachieved given what we had coming back and what we had coming in.

I'll defer to flameshaw beyond that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think our pitchers hit double figures in walks allowed.

Throw strikes.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Our pitching has been poor this year for sure. I know it is being addressed, but nothing can be dome for this year. Hopefully we can find some arms for next year. Not going to win many games when you give up 8-10 runs.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Keep degroat. Clean house on everybody else.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I thought pitching would be strength of team Both starters and bullpen.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Why is it that I always want to post negative comments on the baseball forum?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I thought pitching would be strength of team Both starters and bullpen.
Usually, you don't lose a guy like Perritt (sp)? and replace him immediately with an underclassmen. We would have easily won 4-5 more games at least, with him in the bullpen. This season is pretty much over barring an unexpected hot streak come tournament time. Only 4 more months until football. Hopefully we can overachieve there this year after last years debacle.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
maybe we can repeat UVA's success of last season. UVA struggled all year until NCAA regionals. Then they ended up winning it all. It's possible we can get it together and win BSC tournament.
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
flameshaw wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I thought pitching would be strength of team Both starters and bullpen.
Usually, you don't lose a guy like Perritt (sp)? and replace him immediately with an underclassmen. We would have easily won 4-5 more games at least, with him in the bullpen. This season is pretty much over barring an unexpected hot streak come tournament time. Only 4 more months until football. Hopefully we can overachieve there this year after last years debacle.
Perritt was drafted 2 years ago. I don't think that excuse is valid.
By newoldschool17
Registration Days Posts Posts
You can't just throw one random guy out there and say it's bc we don't have him - everyone loses players. If you want to compare one guy - then Quarterly replaces Perritt, not as flashy draft wise but numbers wise is more valuable actually. Better ERA, more wins in 1 year than Perritt had in 2 and on pace to almost match him in saves, and more innings.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Why is it that I always want to post negative comments on the baseball forum?
here's a positive:

Bean dates the Kelly chick.

so there's that.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
newoldschool17 wrote:You can't just throw one random guy out there and say it's bc we don't have him - everyone loses players. If you want to compare one guy - then Quarterly replaces Perritt, not as flashy draft wise but numbers wise is more valuable actually. Better ERA, more wins in 1 year than Perritt had in 2 and on pace to almost match him in saves, and more innings.
I was just giving an example of what one player can do in some circumstances. NO EXCUSES, everyone knows you are going to lose players after their senior or junior year, if they are drafted. We have very few pitchers that are performing at an acceptable level. When we do have a good outing from a pitcher, we don't hit that game. It has been that kind of year, it happens sometimes.
BTW, IMHO, Quarterly, while being our best reliever, is not close to the same pitcher that Perritt was, statistics aside. He may be some day, but not likely. He throws mainly with his arm, very little leverage/push from his legs, doesn't have a curve ball in the same universe as Perritt, etc. Not being a jerk, but stats are many times misleading. Quarterly won't sniff the draft unless he makes big changes in his mechanics and develops a better off-speed pitch. Wish him nothing but the best. We need some wins, regardless of how they come.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I went backed and looked at some pitching statistics over the past 10 seasons and compared it to this season. We are averaging 5.9 walks per 9 innings this year. The next worst season was 3.9. That's 2 walks more per game. Not good. We are also at a team ERA of 4.9, tied for the second worst over that period. So pitching has definitely tumbled this season as we all know and the stats back that up.
By ProudFlame
PAmedic wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Why is it that I always want to post negative comments on the baseball forum?
here's a positive:

so there's that.
I often bite my tongue when I read the posts on this Board, but this one crosses the line---on so many levels.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like I said, the pitching is definitely underachieving, but its not the worst. What would be interesting to try is to apply some of the advanced metrics to pitching over the last bunch of seasons, particularly runs allowed in the 7th inning or later.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As bad as the baseball team has been in some games this season, nothing matches the football team's performance at Gardner Webb last season.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:As bad as the baseball team has been in some games this season, nothing matches the football team's performance at Gardner Webb last season.
+1
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ProudFlame wrote:
PAmedic wrote:
here's a positive:

so there's that.
I often bite my tongue when I read the posts on this Board, but this one crosses the line---on so many levels.
With 4 total posts in over 2 years (3 of which are criticizing posts from this board), I'd say you're biting your tongue quite frequently.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
PUHLEEZ... I've read that 10 times and have yet to see what would upset someone

I've posted stuff WAY more off the wall than that before

people get wack over the weirdest stuff on here
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]