This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I was at the game. A horrible call by the 2nd base umpire, cost us 4 runs. However, Duke deserved to win the game. We couldn't hit their pitching at all. We played solid defense and DeGroat (?) pitched pretty good, but that was about the extent of the positives.
LU fans outnumbered Duke fans by about 3-1.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
When an outfielder threw a ball towards home, it was cut off and the shortstop threw out the runner who had rounded second base too far. From where I sat, he was clearly out. Even some Duke fans behind me said he was out. Toman ran out and argued the call as well. That would have been the 3rd out and Duke went on to score 4 runs before the inning ended.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:With the relative success of replay at football games, I'm surprised they haven't implemented it yet in baseball.
Most college baseball games are not televised. Having multiple camera angles is far too expensive to implement in a sport that doesn't generate a lot of revenue.
By youngflamer
It's sad that our teams don't dominate the Big South. We have more money in the athletic budget than any the other schools, we pay the coaches bigger salaries, we have better facilities, we have our own sports network, LFSN, and we have jets that our coaches can hope on and fly to anywhere to recruit on the spur of the moment. Someone please tell me why we are stuck in the middle of the pack in almost all our major sports year after year? I heard for several years of moving up to a FBS conference, but no dice. How can Coastal move up and we are stuck in mediocrity? I can't take the big talk of a new indoor football practice field and we can't go to the playoffs but once in 43 years.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:It's sad that our teams don't dominate the Big South. We have more money in the athletic budget than any the other schools, we pay the coaches bigger salaries, we have better facilities, we have our own sports network, LFSN, and we have jets that our coaches can hope on and fly to anywhere to recruit on the spur of the moment. Someone please tell me why we are stuck in the middle of the pack in almost all our major sports year after year? I heard for several years of moving up to a FBS conference, but no dice. How can Coastal move up and we are stuck in mediocrity? I can't take the big talk of a new indoor football practice field and we can't go to the playoffs but once in 43 years.
School culture and coaching.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:It's sad that our teams don't dominate the Big South. We have more money in the athletic budget than any the other schools, we pay the coaches bigger salaries, we have better facilities, we have our own sports network, LFSN, and we have jets that our coaches can hope on and fly to anywhere to recruit on the spur of the moment. Someone please tell me why we are stuck in the middle of the pack in almost all our major sports year after year? I heard for several years of moving up to a FBS conference, but no dice. How can Coastal move up and we are stuck in mediocrity? I can't take the big talk of a new indoor football practice field and we can't go to the playoffs but once in 43 years.
Someone will now respond saying, "entitled " and BJ will talk to you like you're 12. That is now your future on here
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Someone will now respond saying, "entitled " and BJ will talk to you like you're 12. That is now your future on here
He'll come up with some needless nonsense :roll:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
All I'll say is you glad you got that out of your system?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I also sometimes wonder why we are "stuck in middle of the pack". We should rule the Big South every year in every sport.

When we do make playoffs, we fall backward the following season, most of the time. Back a few years ago when we were in NCAA Regional Baseball at, I believe South Carolina, we got to finals after beating Clemson a couple of times. If my memory is correct we have not won a NCAA playoff game since. We did go to UVA Regional and lost 2 games season before last. We were knocking on the door in baseball, but never opened it.

And I am still trying to figure out what happened with football last season.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Football last year is simple...we came in with an attitude that no team from Alabama to Alderson-Broaddus should have and we got outplayed...

As for the rest...I honestly have no idea...itd probably take a sports psychologist to figure it out
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It might be a good idea to hire a Sports Psychologist to find out why we are not dominating BSC. We lose to schools that should not be on the field with us.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]