This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Lost game one 2-0. Kid from K Sate struck out 13, he was masterful. We would have tied the game in the 9th, but the ref called the runner going into second for interference. Bush call. I have been playing/watching games for 50+ years and have never seen a game end like that. Pretty rough way to end the game.
Weather does not look good for Saturday, doubt we will get the scheduled games in.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I watched the last few innings on TV, and had the runner reached his left arm out, I think it could have easily touched the bag. The interference call ended the game and negated the tying run from scoring. I've never seen Coach Toman so angry after a game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yes, I agree Jim. Making that call to end the game was bush in my opinion. In any event, Kent State played a good game and probably deserved to win. Our staff only gave up 4 hits and 2 walks, so that was a good effort as well. No excuse for that call though. Let the players decide the outcome of the game.
By youngflamer
I attended the Virginia Tech game Tuesday and we scored 22 runs and had 24 hits. I'm am truly surprised we couldn't hit Kent's pitching today.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to baseball...
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Didn't get to watch. So how was it the tying run that would have scored. Wasn't it just the first run?
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Bases loaded w/ 1 out. The runner from 3rd scored and the runner that was on 2nd would have scored when the 2nd baseman threw the ball into the dugout.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I have never seen Toman so upset and understandably so. Crazy way to end a game especially after our bats had been so quiet. I got there late but their pitcher must have had a good night. After blowing so many late I thought we would get a chance to steal one in the 9th.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I would be surprised if their pitcher doesn't pitch in the majors some day. Left hander with good control and change of speed. Looked very good today. Threw in the low 90's while showing little effort.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
On the radio broadcast it was mentioned that their starter is one of the top MLB pitching prospects in college ball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Welcome to baseball...
Where "momentum". Is tomorrow's startng pitcher.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:On the radio broadcast it was mentioned that their starter is one of the top MLB pitching prospects in college ball.
I tuned in for the 9th. I noticed he was still throwing @ 93MPH. I was surprised they pulled him.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
True olldflame, but both starters were tossing seeds yesterday...hoping Cole does his usual outstanding job and the offense wakes up (and no stupid umpiring decisions get to decide the outcome...)
By LUDad
Good to see Cole get early run support for a change. He deserves it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
And Cole goes the distance for the 4-2 win. For those who have been harping on our bullpen woes, it looks like we mayor have found the answer. 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Having guys that can eat innings takes a lot of pressure off. The downside is the possibility of over using arms before the postseason (something Jon often railed about)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Hope we can get the game in and prevail again and hope for better weather tomorrow. Two gutty performances from our starters.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Having guys that can eat innings takes a lot of pressure off. The downside is the possibility of over using arms before the postseason (something Jon often railed about)
:roll:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Wow. No wonder toman blew up. I would have blown a fuse on that call as well. It would have to be egregious to make that call with the the game on the line. I would have changed things up and sacrificed Friday night with bean or clouse and then brought Mitchell and Cole Saturday. To me that's a higher probability of winning the series.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The odd thing is, the umpire who made the call was on the inside of the bag, between the 2nd base and the pitcher's mound, so I don't see how he would he would even have a clear view of the base path from that angle. Sure, the runner slid a little outside of the base, but how wide is the base path? It's got to be wider than the base, doesn't it?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are some umpires in NCAA who need to resign and turn in their blue shirt.

I want to think the baseline is 3 feet to either side. But not 100 percent sure.
By LUDad
Silver lining was DeGroat. He was impressive. Hard to believe he has only pitched for a couple years.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]