This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
I realize it way to early to pay lots of attention to RPI rankings. However, since a few of us have stressed out over losing a few ball games in the late innings, I thought it might help to show that those results have not exactly devastated us.

Liberty ranked #33. Hold serve at this ranking or better the rest of the year and we should be in the regionals.

Excellent scheduling LU!

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:I realize it way to early to pay lots of attention to RPI rankings. However, since just jinxy stressed out over losing a few ball games in the late innings, I thought it might help to show that those results have not exactly devastated us.

Liberty ranked #33. Hold serve at this ranking or better the rest of the year and we should be in the regionals.

Excellent scheduling LU!

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html
FIFY
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Key will be not losing to inferior BSC teams, plus knock off a couple of ACC teams along the way.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That's all well and good but it won't hold once we get in big south play. Too many gutter balls with Radford looking to be way down. 4 games against them. This weekend won't help a ton either but it could help us build confidence in the back end of the bullpen which may be more valuable. Anyway. Point is we will have to win at a strong clip in the big south this year to keep that rpi up. It is a good non conference schedule.
Last edited by jinxy on March 7th, 2016, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUDad
ballcoach15 wrote:True. We need to sweep teams like Radford and other BSC lightweights.
GW with their sterling 13-0 record is ranked 190...They need some scheduling help...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Many schools put no thought into scheduling. They look for Cupcakes to get easy wins, or are afraid to travel early in season down South and play in warm weather against good teams.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
my guys and GW are the only undefeated teams in the country. that being said neither of us have played a team in the top 50 RPI. hopefully after today my boys will be the sole undefeated team in the country. GW plays RPI #1 UNC today. we play RPI #209 and struggling Auburn. Liberty did a great job scheduling early. I think its different for us based off what conference we are in plus we have 6 freshman pitchers. Liberty is a little more seasoned and could afford to schedule a little tougher OOC. It will be interesting to see how everyone does once conference play starts. I'm hoping Liberty makes it to the Atlanta Regional this year ;)
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
The current top three in the RPI are North Carolina, Central Connecticut State and St. Bonaventure. So, no, you shouldn't take it seriously at this point of the season.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Maybe some of these guys will believe you lang. I can tell you if we go 7 and 5 every 12 games the reSt of the way we won't be in a regional. Keep smoking the good stuff.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Maybe some of these guys will believe you lang. I can tell you if we go 7 and 5 every 12 games the reSt of the way we won't be in a regional. Keep smoking the good stuff.
Probably true, but that IF is a big one. Why would you think that would happen when we have a virtual consensus that the BSC is down this year? To gripe about how the league is so bad it's going to hurt our RPI and then suggest we don't win more than that is just drinking toó much hater-aid IMHO.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:Maybe some of these guys will believe you lang. I can tell you if we go 7 and 5 every 12 games the reSt of the way we won't be in a regional. Keep smoking the good stuff.
Probably true, but that IF is a big one. Why would you think that would happen when we have a virtual consensus that the BSC is down this year? To gripe about how the league is so bad it's going to hurt our RPI and then suggest we don't win more than that is just drinking toó much hater-aid IMHO.
Truth olldflame...
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:RPI means nothing until the back 1/3rd of the season.
Also truth...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Next BSC teams are Coastal at 68 and Longwood at 111. Yes, we really can't lose very many conference games and stay in the top 30. Our next 4 games are against #51 Kent State. Not sure how that would affect us if, let's say, we split. CCSU is 41, so those are 2 quality wins.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Not at all. Had we held on to a game like odu on the road we would be even higher. I think that hurt the most because there 12 and 4 and a road win there would have been huge. Either way we've got a couple back end options now. 3 of 4 this weekend would be huge.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Fast forward. We sit at 89 and dropped this weekend while sweeping a bad unca team. We have 2 top 100 rpi wins against uconn and there around number 85. This has not been a tough schedule. Its a decent schedule but its not what some have said. League is down this year and theres going to be several teams that we can sweep and lose ground.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]