This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of Connecticut
Storrs, Connecticut

UConn Baseball Official Site

Jim Penders
17th Season as Huskies Head Coach (Tom's Nephew)

2016 Schedule/Results
  • Feb 19 - @ Texas-San Antonio ...................... L, 2-1
    Feb 20 - @ Texas-San Antonio ...................... L, 6-5
    Feb 21 - @ Texas-San Antonio ...................... W, 9-6

Austin Peay Tournament
    Feb 26 - vs. Missouri State .......................... W, 12-4
    Feb 27 - @ Austin Peay ............................... W, 19-4
    Feb 28 - vs. Alcorn State ............................. W, 25-3

Mar 04 - @ Liberty ..................................... 3:00 p.m. ET
    Mar 05 - @ Liberty ..................................... 2:00 p.m. ET
    Mar 06 - @ Liberty ..................................... 1:00 p.m. ET

Key Players
    #11 Bobby Melley
    6' 3" 235 lbs Senior First Baseman
    Thru 6 Games: Batting .478 with 1 HR & 10 RBI + .613 OBP

#18 Anthony Kay
    6' 0" 187 lbs Junior Lefthanded Pitcher
    In 2 Appearances: 1-0 Record with 0.75 ERA + 18 K in 12 IP
By SixPounders
Kay will be one of the best pitchers LU faces all year. Projected as a late first round to mid second round pick in draft. He is the pre-season pitcher of the year in the AAC. He is very good. Add in Lauer from Kent St (projected 1st round pick), who we will see in a couple weeks and Crohan from Winthrop who is Big South pre-season pitcher of the year & SITS 96 and our guys will face 3 of the nations best left-handers on 3 of the next 5 Friday nights. Will be a great test. I'm confident that as roles begin to get a little more defined, over the next few weekends, we'll pitch at a high level as well. Need to win this SERIES this weekend and start to get on a roll.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Except for the 2 run tater Herndon looks like his ol' self :D Unfortunately, Bean also looked like his ol' self :(
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Here comes the daily trials of the bullpen. Given up 3 so far. Can they blow another 5 run lead. This is absurd how bad our bullpen is. No lead is safe.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
4 runs given up by the bullpen. Lead off single and 2 base error and we strand the runner with no outs after stranding kowalo with a 1 out triple 2 innings earlier. 1 run lead and 2 innings from the bullpen to go. Oh boy. I've never seen a team give up so many 2 strike hits.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
:| Wow toman going with Cole to try to get the save. He promptly gives us the game tying solo. This is unbelievable. This program is just snake bitten.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Another embarassing loss. This team is going nowhere. Worst bullpen i have ever seen in 15 years of following college baseball.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Too many walks, timely hitting from UConn. We leave runners on third with no outs TWICE. Pretty ugly for sure. Should have won this one, but fail to execute when needed.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote::| Wow toman going with Cole to try to get the save. He promptly gives us the game tying solo. This is unbelievable. This program is just snake bitten.

That backfired! Really missing Ashton Perritt about now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Another embarassing loss. This team is going nowhere. Worst bullpen i have ever seen in 15 years of following college baseball.
Down boy...it's an unfortunate loss I will agree, but baseball is a game of inches and precision more than anything. I don't think this is the worst bullpen ever (or in years and I've been following LU baseball for slightly less time than you).

Cole hits his spot and maybe instead of the tying homer it's a groundout or flyout. He missed and again the hitter made him pay. I think Toman out thought himself going with Cole in the 9th but while it's ok to disagree, the hyperbole (or at least it looks like it) isn't necessary. Why do you think someone thought you needed drugs last week or so jinxy?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And I can always count on you to make some snarky response when I post just because I don't subscribe to his view (or whoever I am disagreeing with in a thread)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
krh44 wrote:
jinxy wrote::| Wow toman going with Cole to try to get the save. He promptly gives us the game tying solo. This is unbelievable. This program is just snake bitten.

The Ashton Perritt in his sophomore year. He was horrible last year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Perritt at his worst was better than this. This group has already blown 4 of the 5 losses. There is not one reliable option in the pen. No matter what button toman pushes they screw it up. We're getting zero production from catcher as well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Here's my thing...

This roster has a LOT of new faces on it, either freshmen or transfers. the guys that are remaining, while probably talented, have not played all that much. If you look at the box scores, a LOT of the pitchers that we have in our box score are either JC transfers who have never faced NCAA D1 hitters or guys who have not pitched much (except Bean and Stafford and I'll save my comments on them for another discussion). The expectations for this bunch are very VERY high, and understandably so given our recent history. I'm just saying that we need to pump the brakes a bit on talk of this being the worst bullpen in years and some of the unnecessary superlatives jinxy is using. This is our third weekend series with this bunch...now if we are in April and this is still a problem then we will have a problem but not on the first weekend of March in the second series of the season.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
krh44 wrote:

The Ashton Perritt in his sophomore year. He was horrible last year.
True
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]