This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia

ODU Basebal Official Site

Chris Finwood
5th Season as ODU Head Coach

Bud Metheny Baseball Complex
Opened in 1984 - Seats 2500

2016 Schedule/Results

Caravelle Resort Tournament in Myrtle Beach
Feb 19 - vs. NC State .......................... 5 - 0 (W)
Feb 20 - vs. Kent State ........................ 2 - 0 (W)
Feb 21 - vs. Appalachian State ............ 12 - 3 (W)

Feb 23 - Norfolk State ......................... 5 - 3 (W)

ODU Baseball Tournament in Norfolk
Feb 26 - Manhattan ............................. 6 - 5 (W) 12 innings
Feb 27 - Virginia Tech ......................... 1 - 22 (L)
Feb 28 - Delaware ............................ 10 - 4 (W)

Mar 01 - Liberty ................................ 3:00 p.m.
By LUDad
Humble_Opinion wrote:22-1 L against VT ?? Ouch.
But they are also 6-1 with a 5-0 win over a top 10 team...
By LibertyRadioPxP
Registration Days Posts
We are having some audio connection issues with our baseball broadcast. We are working on a back-up connection. Please stay tuned.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
working well
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Currently 2-1 LU in the 6th
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
And the bullpen blows the lead a 3Rd time. Our bullpen is terrible. Another 1 and 2 count and you give it up again. Gave up a 2 strike bomb earlier. This is awful.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
We are a few out away from being 8-1 but we are just above .500. Blown leads and how does Yacyk strike out looking in the 9th?? In our last three losses we have had guys strike out looking.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Terrible bullpen work. We blew 3 leads and then right after the offense ties the game we blow it again. This might be the worst bullpen I've ever seen from liberty and that's saying something.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know who "calls the pitches" ? Is it catcher, pitching coach, Head Coach ????????
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
it depends...a lot of coaches let catchers call the pitches because that's what youll do in the pros...but I am not sure myself
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This appears to be an area we need to tweak. Now granted sometimes the "right" pitch may be called and pitcher does not deliver. But it seems we are "grooving" too many pitches when ahead of hitter in the count. Giving up 0-2 or 1-2 count home runs should not happen at D1 level.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Like I said before, My guess is that the pitcher "missed" on the pitch. Lemme watch the highlights (I hate that I missed this one since Im a short drive from ODU) and get a better idea but there may be a mechanical issue that Coach Quinn will have to address
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It has varied over the years. When wever had experienced catchers like Hollinger and Wimmer they have called pitches. At other points quinn has called the pitches. I haven't seen us in person this year so I don't know but quinn may be since we have a ton of new pitchers and catchers.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:It has varied over the years. When wever had experienced catchers like Hollinger and Wimmer they have called pitches. At other points quinn has called the pitches. I haven't seen us in person this year so I don't know but quinn may be since we have a ton of new pitchers and catchers.
Being a former pitcher for LU and as someone who was offered a professional contract out of HS, kids at this level make mistakes like this, all the time. So do professional, major league pitchers. It hasn't happened to us in a while, so we were probably over due and it is early in the season. If it keeps happening, it will be something that can and/will be fixed. I remember seeing our LU career strike out leader, giving up an 0-2 bomb against UNC-G back in the day. I think he only gave up 2 hits all day. The coaches have been calling the pitches for a few years now, at least. No one is able to put the ball where they want to every time. Sometimes, you just have an off day, it happens. No other reason for it really.
Last edited by flameshaw on March 2nd, 2016, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Maybe it's the stupid looking hats that are holding them back. :lol:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:Maybe it's the stupid looking hats that are holding them back. :I chortle audibly.:
They really seem to be wedded to the blue camo hats :D
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]