This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SixPounders
Coach Quinn calls pitches most of the time. There are exceptions. Victor/Latta called their own game this past Saturday. Once the pen took over, calls came from the dugout. I would offer up that although we may occasionally call a slider or two too many, and not be as reliant on fastballs and fastball location as I would prefer, ultimately it is about EXECUTION of the pitch and not the pitch call. Players have to make plays. I have TOTAL confidence in this staff as whole. Once roles settle in, I believe this staff will perform at a high level. There is alot of flexibility with this staff. I do believe that Stafford needs to come out of the pen, since we only have 2 lefties. Had he been available Tues night to matchup with the ODU lefty pinch-hitters, I think the outcome is different. Quarterly, Grabowski, Helsel are going to be tough on right-handers this year out of the pen. Bean, Herndon, Cole, Mitchell, Clouse/Murphy (5th starter) project as the starters to me. There are lots of guys with very different arm angles and very different stuff on this staff. I really like the stuff I have seen from most of the guys. Big issue has been walks. However, keep in mind that other than 2 games, we have had no starter stretched beyond the 4th yet. That will change. Once it does, bullpen roles will become more defined and you will guys like DeGroat, Simpson, Quarterly, Grabowski, Scott, and Clouse be much more effective. Hang in there. It's early and MANY, MANY good baseball teams are dealing with same issues.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]