This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
3rd per twitter

Flames Nation ‏@Flames_Nation · 27m27 minutes ago
Liberty baseball picked to finish 3rd in preseason Big South, behind #1 Coastal and #2 Winthrop.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
per Kyle:

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/entries/b ... and-honors

Rk Team (first-place votes) Points
1. Coastal Carolina (10) 120
2. Winthrop 102
3. Liberty 99
4. High Point 83
5. Radford 81
6. Campbell (1) 74
7. Charleston Southern 52
8. Longwood 40
9. Presbyterian College 31
10. Gardner-Webb 23
11. UNC Asheville 21
By SixPounders
LU Dad, yes Radford has an awful lot to replace. They lost 6 everyday offensive starters, their Friday night guy (Boyle) and their closer (Meisinger).
By SixPounders
I think the offense has a chance to be very potent. Taormina, Yacyk , Sheppard, Britt will form an experienced heart of the order. All of them could take big steps forward this year. If so, watch out. Grabowski (2b), Latta (C) will provide immediate impact as Jucos. Dylan Allen is finally healthy and should provide steady production at 3b. There are nice options in the OF offensively with senior Stroosma & freshman Artis (who will play). They can both absolutely fly. Another name to keep an eye on who is really banging the ball and hit all Fall is junior Jake Barbee. He would most likely play some 1b or DH. There are 2 differences this year that could be dramatically different if the coaches choose so. First, there is a chance to put a faster lineup on the field with Stroosma, Artis, Britt, Sheppard, & possibly Roberts. Secondly, there is the ability to run a heavy (6-7 hitters) lefty lineup out there vs a righty, if needed. You also have some guys in Close, Walker & Barrick with some college at bats under their belt that will see time early as well. Lots of flexibility. I think could be a very versatile lineup. May take awhile to decide if gonna go with an offensive outfield (Yacyk in LF) or defensive outfield (Yacyk at DH or 1b). I think Barbee is the key there. If he keeps squaring the ball up, that may force Yacyk into LF while Taormina/Barbee play 1b/DH.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
SixPounders wrote:I think the offense has a chance to be very potent. Taormina, Yacyk , Sheppard, Britt will form an experienced heart of the order. All of them could take big steps forward this year. If so, watch out. Grabowski (2b), Latta (C) will provide immediate impact as Jucos. Dylan Allen is finally healthy and should provide steady production at 3b. There are nice options in the OF offensively with senior Stroosma & freshman Artis (who will play). They can both absolutely fly. Another name to keep an eye on who is really banging the ball and hit all Fall is junior Jake Barbee. He would most likely play some 1b or DH. There are 2 differences this year that could be dramatically different if the coaches choose so. First, there is a chance to put a faster lineup on the field with Stroosma, Artis, Britt, Sheppard, & possibly Roberts. Secondly, there is the ability to run a heavy (6-7 hitters) lefty lineup out there vs a righty, if needed. You also have some guys in Close, Walker & Barrick with some college at bats under their belt that will see time early as well. Lots of flexibility. I think could be a very versatile lineup. May take awhile to decide if gonna go with an offensive outfield (Yacyk in LF) or defensive outfield (Yacyk at DH or 1b). I think Barbee is the key there. If he keeps squaring the ball up, that may force Yacyk into LF while Taormina/Barbee play 1b/DH.
I could be wrong but the outfield looks pretty set with Artis (LF), Strrosma (CF), and Shepherd in right. Infield also coming together with Allen (3B) hitting the ball well, Britt (SS), Grabowski possibly at 2B and Taormina/Yack alternating DH/1B. Catcher is the wild card.
By SixPounders
Agreed Chippy. But the last 3 years, there has been lots of platooning early in the season. I think you will see Close, Roberts, Barrick & possibly a couple of others get some time. All of those guys have ability. I believe Latta will start at catcher in Game 1, but Barbee's bat may well find it's way onto the field somewhere early. He has one of the best pure strokes on the team.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
SixPounders wrote:Agreed Chippy. But the last 3 years, there has been lots of platooning early in the season. I think you will see Close, Roberts, Barrick & possibly a couple of others get some time. All of those guys have ability. I believe Latta will start at catcher in Game 1, but Barbee's bat may well find it's way onto the field somewhere early. He has one of the best pure strokes on the team.
Artis, Allen and Taorimina are all leftys. So I can see Barrick at 3rd and Close in left against left handers. Roberts has done nothing to impress me. He has shown over two years to be a very weak bat and a liability in the OF not to mention he doesn't seem to have the best baseball instincts that a more natural talent possesses. I'll trust you on the catchers talent. Watched a little of the scrimmage Saturday and saw what appeared the first team going against the second team. Herndon pitched for the second team and got hit.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]