This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Florida is #1, Virginia #4, and everyone's media darling, Coastal Carolina is #23.

As I look at entire poll, I wonder if the Pollsters have ever actually seen a college baseball game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is a topic where I really miss having Jon around...

and did Matt Hogue or Yurachek (now at Houston) steal your girlfriend back in the day or something to lead to such high level disdain for the Beach Chickens or something?
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:CC is over rated every year in every sport. They are nothing more than a Media Darling. I guess it's because the are located near the beach.
This. although I will say CCU has put together some great teams over the years. I think in that sense its a little like football polls. CCU has established themselves as a sort of power in College baseball and now they get the benefit of the doubt when it comes preseason. then again, my employer had the #4 recruiting class in the country with a preseason all american soph. pitcher and haven't even sniffed a preseason top 40 in any credible poll (only one i've seen us ranked was 21 in the College baseball newspaper poll.)and we are typically a destination program in the ACC... so who knows?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is a topic where I really miss having Jon around...

and did Matt Hogue or Yurachek (now at Houston) steal your girlfriend back in the day or something to lead to such high level disdain for the Beach Chickens or something?
Let it go BJ. Anyone with more than 1 live brain cell knows that CCU is over-rated in almost every sport. It has been proven many times over. Don't understand why, who knows, but it is a fact.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is a topic where I really miss having Jon around...

Stealing girlfriends and killing dogs...time for some new material.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For those wondering, here are Baseball America's complete rankings:
Baseball America Preseason Top 25 wrote:2016 PRESEASON TOP 25 COLLEGE RANKINGS

1. Florida
2. Louisville
3. Texas A&M
4. Virginia
5. Oregon State
6. Miami
7. Vanderbilt
8. California
9. Oklahoma State
10. UCLA
11. Louisiana State
12. Houston
13. Louisiana-Lafayette
14. Oregon
15. Michigan
16. Southern California
17. Florida State
18. TCU
19. NC State
20. Mississippi State
21. Oklahoma
22. Cal State Fullerton
23. Coastal Carolina
24. Ole Miss
25. Kentucky
Click Here for Source
By SixPounders
As much as it pains me to say it, I think CCU is a little more than a media darling and their ranking is justified imho. In fact, lots of coaches think that Coastal has the type of talent to return them to top 16 type contention this year. They return 8 offensive starters from an offense that ranked in top 30 in nation last year & 13th in HRs. Speed and power everywhere in that lineup. They ranked 2nd in nation in DPs turned and return their infield....That said, it's all about pitching when it's big game time and in a potentially "Up" Big South year for pitching, I think our Flames, Winthrop and High Point COULD have stronger weekend rotations. Time will tell.
By SixPounders
As much as it pains me to say it, I think CCU is a little more than a media darling and their ranking is justified imho. In fact, lots of coaches think that Coastal has the type of talent to return them to top 16 type contention this year. They return 8 offensive starters from an offense that ranked in top 30 in nation last year & 13th in HRs. Speed and power everywhere in that lineup. They ranked 2nd in nation in DPs turned and return their infield....That said, it's all about pitching when it's big game time and in a potentially "Up" Big South year for pitching, I think our Flames, Winthrop and High Point COULD have stronger weekend rotations. Time will tell.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Louisville at number 2 is puzzling.
All three of their weekend starters are in the top 100 for the draft. along with their CF and 2B. they are going to be filthy this year. Really glad we don't have to play them in the regular season.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Florida is #1, Virginia #4, and everyone's media darling, Coastal Carolina is #23.

As I look at entire poll, I wonder if the Pollsters have ever actually seen a college baseball game.
Yep!
LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]