This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Auburn fired their baseball coach today. Toman came in 2nd for that job a couple summers ago. There's nothing to indicate he's in the running or even applying, but it'll be worth watching.
By bluejacket
Interesting.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Perfect timing for Toman. Think about it, SEC with a pretty good group of returning players. (A large number of JUCO guys.) For Toman who has no real ties to LU this is a dream situation. The biggest hold up would be moving his kids but they are at the perfect age to move, it there is such a thing. I know Jerry Jr will not allow him to use this as a way to get more money like last time. Bottom line: If AU comes calling he has to go or he will be here til the boys are out of HS. I'm not sure he thinks he can do much more at LU. The next question is who will be the next LU coach?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Perfect timing for Toman. Think about it, SEC with a pretty good group of returning players. (A large number of JUCO guys.) For Toman who has no real ties to LU this is a dream situation. The biggest hold up would be moving his kids but they are at the perfect age to move, it there is such a thing. I know Jerry Jr will not allow him to use this as a way to get more money like last time. Bottom line: If AU comes calling he has to go or he will be here til the boys are out of HS. I'm not sure he thinks he can do much more at LU. The next question is who will be the next LU coach?
If it were to happen, hopefully Murray could get an interim position and then we could open it up next summer with Murray getting a shot at the full-time gig.
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Not sure Jason is a big enough name for JB. I would assume Jason would go with Toman. It will be interesting times. I also think it will take a different guy to follow Toman. Why would Jason want to follow Toman? If Jason does anything I could see him getting back to Ball State. I think his former coach is back as the HC and from what I understand they are very tight.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
huntandfish wrote:Not sure Jason is a big enough name for JB. I would assume Jason would go with Toman. It will be interesting times. I also think it will take a different guy to follow Toman. Why would Jason want to follow Toman? If Jason does anything I could see him getting back to Ball State. I think his former coach is back as the HC and from what I understand they are very tight.
Getting a big name in October wouldn't really be possible for Liberty. Give Murray the interim and let him go for this year. If he has success and we want him to stay/he wants to stay, awesome. If he has success and gets noticed by other schools, great for him. Either way, it gives us some stability for what will likely be a down year already and then we can get our guy (whether it's Murray or someone else) next summer.

All of this is a big giant if at this point.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:October is as good of a time as any, in my opinion for a new baseball coach. It's 5 months until first pitch of 2016 season.
I think the point is that coaching changes are more likely at the end of the season... and that "good" candidates will be spoken for or less likely to want to make a move.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And if Toman gets the job, Jon no doubt will be celebrating somewhere in Tennessee, hoping his favorite coach gets at least a chance at the job.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:And if Toman gets the job, Jon no doubt will be celebrating somewhere in Tennessee, hoping his favorite coach gets at least a chance at the job.
Who's my favorite coach?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I know I am...course you haven't liked Toman for a while so you no doubt would be thrilled to see him get the AU job if only because he won't be at Liberty anymore, and someone you like (or at least have a better relationship with) could take over and "take this team to the next level".
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Why do I have to have a relationship with a coach to think they'd be a good fit for our program?

The one thing you're right on is that I'd do cartwheels if Coach Toman got the Auburn job. It'd be a great step up for him and we'd be able to get someone who fit our school a little better.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Kudos for the cartwheels reference. That is seriously old school FlameFans vernacular.
Now where did that originate?

Jeff Meyer

Yes Purple, I know I didn´t technically violate the rule, but that´s only because I didn´t want to actually type the name. 8)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I'll also mention that while you haven't outright called for his firing, you've been trumpeting the whole "he doesn't fit" thing for years. (I believed trott is the one who wants him fired). Look, I'm as frustrated as the rest at the lack of success in the postseason, but you don't see me advocating he take another job because of it
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
I think it's probably time for Toman to move on and the Auburn job would likely be a good fit. I'm also good with having Murray as the interim coach for next season. As it's been mentioned before, the big names are already taken at this point. Wait until the end of the season and start interviewing for a replacement if Murray doesn't impress.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I'll also mention that while you haven't outright called for his firing, you've been trumpeting the whole "he doesn't fit" thing for years. (I believed trott is the one who wants him fired). Look, I'm as frustrated as the rest at the lack of success in the postseason, but you don't see me advocating he take another job because of it
The dude wanted this job a couple years ago and barely missed out on it. He's been looking to leave for 3-4 years if not longer. Liberty was always a stepping stone job for him. And I'm okay with that! Good for him for having bigger aspirations than here.

And I haven't called for Toman to be fired because he's had success here. I, personally, don't like his managing style and don't think he's a fit for Liberty. If he moved on to a larger job at a larger school, it'd be great for his career and great for our school.

Stop trying to act like the right hand of justice when you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.
By bluejacket
SuperJon wrote:The dude wanted this job a couple years ago and barely missed out on it. He's been looking to leave for 3-4 years if not longer. Liberty was always a stepping stone job for him. And I'm okay with that! Good for him for having bigger aspirations than here.

And I haven't called for Toman to be fired because he's had success here. I, personally, don't like his managing style and don't think he's a fit for Liberty. If he moved on to a larger job at a larger school, it'd be great for his career and great for our school.
Agree on all points.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't believe he is as interested in leaving as he once was. He has made some positive life changes in the last couple of years. We all know of some personal challenges he has gone through. There are some other things that not many people are aware of, that have been positive as well. I wish him well, if he stays or leaves at a future date.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I don't believe he is as interested in leaving as he once was. He has made some positive life changes in the last couple of years. We all know of some personal challenges he has gone through. There are some other things that not many people are aware of, that have been positive as well. I wish him well, if he stays or leaves at a future date.
I will agree with this completely.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

At 6'9" I wouldn't be surprised if he were th[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]